Powered by Outside

Post Your Kona Stinky's

PB Forum :: Post Your Ride
Post Your Kona Stinky's
Posted: May 19, 2016 at 22:29 Quote
headshottrev wrote:
sam14thomas wrote:
OK thanks a lot! I'm totally new to rear suspension cus I've only ridden HT up till now. Some people have said that I could run 200x57, is this correct?

yes you would get an extra inch of travel

Cool thanks! Does anyone know how an air shock would work? Does it suit the frame or is it better with coil!

I found this on eBay. What do u guys reckon?
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fox-DHX-5-0-Air-rear-shock-/201584845550?hash=item2eef64a2ee:g:X50AAOSw~oFXODQJ

Posted: Jun 6, 2016 at 19:20 Quote
Just recently joined the Stinky club. I've had a hard tail for awhile now, but really wanted a DH/FR full suspension to complement it. I looked around in the area and came across the '08 Stinky shown below for what I thought was a fair price. It's an '08, has a Marzocchi Junior T on the front and a reworked Fox shock for the rear (not sure which model yet). I am assuming it came with the DOPE system from the factory as it has the DOPE lettering on the lower swingarm. It's a heavy beast as others have mentioned before, but I am enjoying getting to know it better. Anyway, here are a couple of shots from a trail close to my house from last weekend.

Thanks,

Eric

photo

photo

Posted: Jun 7, 2016 at 4:54 Quote
[Quote="ericono"]Just recently joined the Stinky club. I've had a hard tail for awhile now, but really wanted a DH/FR full suspension to complement it. I looked around in the area and came across the '08 Stinky shown below for what I thought was a fair price. It's an '08, has a Marzocchi Junior T on the front and a reworked Fox shock for the rear (not sure which model yet). I am assuming it came with the DOPE system from the factory as it has the DOPE lettering on the lower swingarm. It's a heavy beast as others have mentioned before, but I am enjoying getting to know it better. Anyway, here are a couple of shots from a trail close to my house from last weekend.

Thanks,

Eric

Nice, I loved my 08 stinky. It's most likely had the DOPE kit added as that usually only comes with the deluxe and stinky air models, i bought one for mine and it helped loads.
It'll take anything you throw at it,
Enjoy!

Posted: Jun 11, 2016 at 9:27 Quote
Mate of mine is planning on buying a Kona Stinky Six, but the Six normally comes with a 160mm fork up front, but he fitted a Marzocchi 888. Should this be fine or?

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 2:50 Quote
sanderwouters wrote:
Mate of mine is planning on buying a Kona Stinky Six, but the Six normally comes with a 160mm fork up front, but he fitted a Marzocchi 888. Should this be fine or?

Depends which 888's my friend had the 170mm 888's on his stinky and it was fine, i wouldn't go for 200mm up front though

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 6:47 Quote
Photo Shoot at Belmont
photo
photo

Here's my stinky! Got a couple of vids of me riding it on my profile so check em out! Smile tup

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 at 17:28 Quote
2005 STINKY SUPREME

2005 Kona Stinky Supreme Extras

Posted: Dec 31, 2016 at 2:24 Quote
09 stinky full frame makeover
- Newly powdercoated backtriangle, frame removed paint and polished up.
- New bearings all over
- New Black bolts all over
- New BB raceface
- New headset FSA
- Removed the shitty DOPE braking system
- Shimano Zee brakes i instead of old Hayes stroker ace brakes.
- New bushings on rear shock and oil change
- Marzocchi 66 rcv fork newly serviced.
- New lizard skin grips
- New bearings in front wheel
- New rear axle for using 12mm hub on 10mm dropout mounts
- New chrome color handlebar
- SDG seat and seatpost

Need to replace the rear wheel in the future. Lot of dents and aint straight anymore...
And going to mount an rockshox domain dual crown with angleset headset by time.
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 18:29 Quote
hcbang wrote:
09 stinky full frame makeover
- Newly powdercoated backtriangle, frame removed paint and polished up.
- New bearings all over
- New Black bolts all over
- New BB raceface
- New headset FSA
- Removed the shitty DOPE braking system
- Shimano Zee brakes i instead of old Hayes stroker ace brakes.
- New bushings on rear shock and oil change
- Marzocchi 66 rcv fork newly serviced.
- New lizard skin grips
- New bearings in front wheel
- New rear axle for using 12mm hub on 10mm dropout mounts
- New chrome color handlebar
- SDG seat and seatpost

Need to replace the rear wheel in the future. Lot of dents and aint straight anymore...
And going to mount an rockshox domain dual crown with angleset headset by time.
photo
photo

Powdercoat looks clean!

Posted: Mar 9, 2017 at 5:03 Quote
Nice build. Nowt wrong with the DOPE system though?

Posted: Mar 11, 2017 at 12:17 Quote
The bearings on the DOPE system doesnt last a season.
Hard to get new bearings, and expensive.
And i dont see the point of using it and adding more weight to an allready heavy bike.
Its anyway av freeride bike and not a DH bike. So i dont think ill have a problem with rear braking power.
Was supposed to powdercoat the front frame also, but it was too large for the oven ????
Recently got hold of an 760 black bontrager handlebar with low raise. Gonna look much better then.

Posted: May 26, 2017 at 17:36 Quote
Any Stinky gurus out there?

I would like to ask if a 2006 Kona Stinky can take the rear swingarm from a 2007 model so I wouldnt have to use the QR rear end and I could take advantage of the bolt on drop outs to use a thru axle set up. (12x135)

Regards

Posted: May 31, 2017 at 5:59 Quote
I've used this axle when i removed the DOPE brake system...
Also using it on my dirt jumper and it works great in a "standard QR" frame.
Haven't had any trouble with it getting loose despite hard shredding.
Probably cheaper than buying a new rear swingarm.

Posted: May 31, 2017 at 14:19 Quote
hcbang wrote:
I've used this axle when i removed the DOPE brake system...
Also using it on my dirt jumper and it works great in a "standard QR" frame.
Haven't had any trouble with it getting loose despite hard shredding.
Probably cheaper than buying a new rear swingarm.
They also make them in 10x135

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTB-Tools-Mountain-Bike-12mm-x-135mm-Bolt-On-Wheel-Adapter-for-Thru-Axle-Hub/302266147748?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40130%26meid%3D450f830b94f24cb5a79ae614bf661f66%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D262517135193

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Can you tell me a bit more about removing the dope system.. with the dope system the hub spacing is still 135mm right? So when you take away the floating brake caliper mount it becomes more?

Posted: May 31, 2017 at 23:28 Quote
Everyones thoughts on this...

Looks like a 2006 front triangle, 2007 rocker arms, 2006 rear triangle
(notice how flat the chain stay is)
06 rear triangle

And this one looks like a 2006 front triangle, 2006 rocker arms with a 2007 rear triangle?
(drop in the chain stay, removable drop outs)
Please correct me if im wrong.
07 rear triangle

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023624
Mobile Version of Website