Powered by Outside

My bamboo fixie project!

PB Forum :: 29ers
My bamboo fixie project!
Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 20:56 Quote
Function > Looks.

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 21:06 Quote
I agree....already tried to go as light and pretty as possible and it did crack...If i could get it to fuction and look similar to the way it does now though, that would be tops. Anyone familiar with carbon or similar that could give advice on the more scientific/strength/physics/forces aspects of just bulking it up?

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 21:09 Quote
If you do both you could fill it ina and sand it so its smooth. It will look like the bubbles on those foes bikes kinda

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 21:27 Quote
I want to leave it unsanded and just glossed over....more soul to it that way

Posted: Apr 20, 2011 at 22:46 Quote
*Edit - Also, If you went with option B, make sure the bamboo piece you use has at least 1 node. With no nodes there is nothing to keep the bamboo from "caving in" on itself. I know that the guy with the bamboo bike blog says otherwise, but break a piece of bamboo w/ and w/o a node and see which one breaks easier, the one w/o the node. I would go with option A. What I did was I bulked up my joints until they were huge and ugly, and then sanded them down until they were asthetically pleasing. When you're done sanding the joints will be a funky white color but if you spray them with a clear or put another layer of just epoxy they clean up nice.
jimbo33000 wrote:
OK....I have a question for y'all:

In bulking up the headtube should i:

A) Just add more material and beef it up

or

B) Put a short piece of bamboo as a sort of cross-member at the same angle as the headtube just behind where the wrapping is now and then add material.....

I feel B may be stronger and stiffer, but could jeopardize the aesthetics severly....and i think A would be strong enough, just not as much of a sure-fire thing as option B

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 20:13 Quote
Finished it up now:
photo
still need to wrap bars

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 20:15 Quote
beautiful, use some natural cork tape

weight?

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 20:16 Quote
Somewhere between 18/19 pounds....still have to do an official weigh in.

Posted: Apr 23, 2011 at 20:19 Quote
congrats man! ride your project to school tup

Posted: May 3, 2011 at 5:37 Quote
That wasn't a funny picture at all Confused

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009870
Mobile Version of Website