Things bike shop costumers hate/love !!

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Things bike shop costumers hate/love !!
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 12:17 Quote
Yea, min wage in the US is like what? 5.50ish or something?

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 12:18 Quote
oh wow thats like half our minumum wage, you get paid double that at whole foods in west van

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 12:19 Quote
well there you go, i guess that might explain some of the price differences... SOME, but I still think for the most part we are getting ripped off regardless.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 12:21 Quote
yes i agree, oh and i want bike shops to only hire competent workers, i dont care if they are 8 or 108 as long as they are competent

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 12:24 Quote
lol wouldn't that be nice! Sad truth is that when spring rolls around and everyone and there dead grandmother are bringing there bikes in to get tuned most bike shops are so desperate for bodies anyone with half the ability to turn a wrench gets hired :/ I'm guessing that how some of the nit wits manage to stay on as permanent full/part timers(or even get a job for that matter)

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 12:33 Quote
actually i think its 8.50 the minimum wage

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 14:33 Quote
lajkonik wrote:
lol wouldn't that be nice! Sad truth is that when spring rolls around and everyone and there dead grandmother are bringing there bikes in to get tuned most bike shops are so desperate for bodies anyone with half the ability to turn a wrench gets hired :/ I'm guessing that how some of the nit wits manage to stay on as permanent full/part timers(or even get a job for that matter)
this guys been there for 10months atleast!!!! wow ide rather regrease and repack my bb then let him do it for free!!! and i dont even know how 2. and the worst part is they wont hire anyone (cept me when im 14 cuz the owner was my dads old boss) under 16.
8.50 sounds right in canada its 8.75 but in vancouver you wont get anywhere that pays less tha $9

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 14:50 Quote
nishnash wrote:
lajkonik wrote:
this guys been there for 10months atleast!!!! wow ide rather regrease and repack my bb then let him do it for free!!! and i dont even know how 2. and the worst part is they wont hire anyone (cept me when im 14 cuz the owner was my dads old boss) under 16.
8.50 sounds right in canada its 8.75 but in vancouver you wont get anywhere that pays less tha $9

No its 8.50$ in canada and not 8.75$. They just changed it a couple of months ago to 8.50$.

here you have it by province : http://canadaonline.about.com/library/bl/blminwage.htm

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 14:58 Quote
ahh k but still, i have yet to see a place other than mcdonalds, burger king, A&W, and wendys that pays less than $9 an hour

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 15:07 Quote
well working at places like that is boring... want a real job? work in shop, any kind of shop that you work with your hands. Thats real work in my opinion.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 15:08 Quote
exaclty, plus i hate fast food so would rather not have a job then work for them

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 16:09 Quote
the bk bastards pay me 8 an hour,i wish i could work at cap's krusty

Posted: Jul 15, 2008 at 16:32 Quote
My old lbs that shut down a year or so back were alright at first, but then having him screw up a couple of simple jobs on my bike, and never getting it done in any hurry.

Now i use another guy, mostly does road stuff, but i know enough to just go down and explain what i want doing, and its always done well and quickly.

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 at 23:03 Quote
raceface77 wrote:
word... bike repair isn't heart surgery, it ain't that complex!

Well, experience does count for a lot. Do you build your own wheels? How's about service your own fork? Replace the sealed bearings in your hubs? Or maybe some custom work on fork internals?

You're right, bike repair isn't heart surgery, it's bike repair. And yes things get complicated when it comes to working on someone's bike that's 15 years old and wasn't checked in for service properly and needs a tonne of extra work... That's where you and I differ: I am a technician, I can diagnose and fix just about anything. From servicing Sturmey Archer hubs to teaching classes on how to build a wheel.

It does get complex, if you care to look into how things work in order to understand why they work. Some people just see a derailleur and they think they know how it works, but I know why.

Have a little more respect for the people who work in the shops, it's a labour of passion. There is no glamour in working as a bike tech, but it is rewarding.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012548
Mobile Version of Website