Powered by Outside

YT Capra Owners

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 16:12 Quote
Hello,

Has anyone ever had experience putting an American size shock on their Capra? I have a 2019 Capra CF Pro Race 27.5, and the geo of the rear shock is 250mm x 75mm. I’m looking at getting an Öhlins coil shock for it, but the size is 9.5” x 3.0”... which is roughly 242mm x 76mm. Seems like all this swap will do is slacken the bike slightly and give me about 2mm extra travel, but just wondering if anyone has done this and had any problems?

Thanks

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 17:15 Quote
mtb-wyatt wrote:
Hello,

Has anyone ever had experience putting an American size shock on their Capra? I have a 2019 Capra CF Pro Race 27.5, and the geo of the rear shock is 250mm x 75mm. I’m looking at getting an Öhlins coil shock for it, but the size is 9.5” x 3.0”... which is roughly 242mm x 76mm. Seems like all this swap will do is slacken the bike slightly and give me about 2mm extra travel, but just wondering if anyone has done this and had any problems?

Thanks

I have. Don't do it. If you do it, you have to get a really light spring. I would usually use a 450, but used a 300 on it. At bottom out, there is also like 0.5mm of room.

O+
Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 17:40 Quote
rangerdanger69 wrote:
mtb-wyatt wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

I have. Don't do it. If you do it, you have to get a really light spring. I would usually use a 450, but used a 300 on it. At bottom out, there is also like 0.5mm of room.

By using a shorter shock you are already making the frame 8mm closer to contacting itself then combined with the 1mm longer stroke you are getting even closer. Not sure why you need to run that much lighter of a spring maybe because you are losing the begging stroke where the leverage ratio of the frame is quite a bit higher? Either way it does not sound like a great idea. Is the problem that you can't find a 250x75?

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 17:46 Quote
mixmastamikal wrote:
rangerdanger69 wrote:
mtb-wyatt wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

By using a shorter shock you are already making the frame 8mm closer to contacting itself then combined with the 1mm longer stroke you are getting even closer. Not sure why you need to run that much lighter of a spring maybe because you are losing the begging stroke where the leverage ratio of the frame is quite a bit higher? Either way it does not sound like a great idea. Is the problem that you can't find a 250x75?

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2935545/
He's selling a 250x75 x2. He is probably looking for a coil. I would just get a 250x75 coil.

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 20:35 Quote
mtb-wyatt wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

Sounds big. I have an 8.75 x 2.75 on my 2.5 Capra but it's a 2015. No help in this case,I suppose.

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 21:40 Quote
rangerdanger69 wrote:
mixmastamikal wrote:
rangerdanger69 wrote:

He's selling a 250x75 x2. He is probably looking for a coil. I would just get a 250x75 coil.

Yes, looking for a coil. It seems that the stock Öhlins shocks that come off of 2016-19 demo 8’s are fairly commonly on pinkbike for pretty cheap, and those are the 9.5” x 3.0” that I was talking about. Probably just gonna blow the budget and buy a new one the right size. Thanks for the help though!

Posted: Nov 23, 2020 at 22:20 Quote
mtb-wyatt wrote:
rangerdanger69 wrote:
mixmastamikal wrote:

Yes, looking for a coil. It seems that the stock Öhlins shocks that come off of 2016-19 demo 8’s are fairly commonly on pinkbike for pretty cheap, and those are the 9.5” x 3.0” that I was talking about. Probably just gonna blow the budget and buy a new one the right size. Thanks for the help though!

Remember that shocks geberally come with an internal tune specific to a given bike. Used or off-the shelf shocks can behave in unexpected ways.

O+
Posted: Nov 24, 2020 at 9:31 Quote
suspended-flesh wrote:
mtb-wyatt wrote:

Remember that shocks generally come with an internal tune specific to a given bike. Used or off-the shelf shocks can behave in unexpected ways.

If you are going to go all out I would recommend checking out an EXT shock. Take the guess work of having the right tune out. Here is my brother Base AL Capra 29 with some key suspension upgrades (Moved to a 180mm fork). He absolutely loves this bike.

photo

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 1:15 Quote
Hello I am searching to buy an Xl capra 2019/20 29 frame only or maybe to swap... I have a L wich us too small for me and I am in France !

O+
Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 1:56 Quote
Will the Capra get an update this year? Or can I still buy a capra (shred) without the risk of having in outdated geometry even before it has a ride in?

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 4:10 Quote
bruek wrote:
Hello I am searching to buy an Xl capra 2019/20 29 frame only or maybe to swap... I have a L wich us too small for me and I am in France !

I have a Capra 29 XL frame to sell. Shipped from Germany, so shouldn’t be any problem. Some minor scratches but otherwise perfectly OK.
Send me a PM if you’re interested.
Cheers

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 4:30 Quote
MaximumOfBass wrote:
Will the Capra get an update this year? Or can I still buy a capra (shred) without the risk of having in outdated geometry even before it has a ride in?
Noone knows! The new one might be 2021, might be 2022 as well. Rumor is, however, that it will be a 2021.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 8:10 Quote
MaximumOfBass wrote:

The current Capra geometry which was progressive and very "enduro" in 2018-2019 is now leaning more toward "trail" or "all mountain" numbers in 2021, but shocking rides the exact same way it did when it first dropped! lol Who would have thought?

If the Capra geometry is o.k for you right now today, but will suddenly be "outdated" if new one drops which is more slack, then it sounds like it's not an issue with the bike, but rather with the user.

Personally, I still want to be able to rail tight corners and climb without front flop, so the "ever longer and slacker" club isn't for me.

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 8:11 Quote
they just need to steepen the sta

Posted: Nov 25, 2020 at 11:15 Quote
My bet is on a new platform in 2021. Same great taste, zero sugar. And a steeper STA/bottle inside the front triangle/20% higher price tag. Please don’t shit the bed with colours @YT like what Nukeproof have on the new Mega.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.029598
Mobile Version of Website