Specialized Big Hit riders thread to elect the coolest Big Hit...

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Specialized Big Hit riders thread to elect the coolest Big Hit...
Posted: May 21, 2021 at 9:16 Quote
mediocrityontwowheels wrote:
Sounds like a good idea. Save some money for a used fork in the meantime.

Update. A nice local fellow, marlon-d, messaged me yesterday to offer up what appear to be clean, gently used 2008 RockShox Domain 318 forks removed from, you guessed it, a 2008 Bighit...lol what are the chances?! Not sure where to leave feedback, but props to Marlon!

mrgonzo wrote:
Might be able to find a set of lowers on an old broken domain, or if you want to go down the rabbit hole you could find another older bike that has a workable fork and buy that then get into selling and swapping parts and building up bikes. If you have the space for it and the time you can make a little money especially if you live in a mountain bike town where there's a good inventory. I see old 26 frames selling for more than I would pay for the complete bike but people are buying them bless their hearts

All bicycles, and more properly all recreation equipment, seems to be in very high demand locally, and I suspect globally, as the people still working have more discretionary income due to travel restrictions. So I'm not surprised in the least that things you could barely give away in 2019 are enjoying a price bubble.

Grandos-MZFK wrote:
Getting a set of good old 888's on this frame might sound like the best decision out there. Finding an old Dorado or Domain DC would also be fine. Just make sure the fork does not make any 'extra' sounds and the stanchions are still usable and don't have any major dents/scratches. Some people believe that this is the best possible iteration of the Big Hit model, yet I personally fall for the latest revision of the previous generation.

Yeah, dual crowns would've been a nice touch, but unfortunately anything that met your suggested condition requirements fell into the category of my previous statement i.e. too spendy for my price objective with this two wheel unit.

I'll post again once the replacement forks are mounted.

Posted: May 24, 2021 at 17:09 Quote
So, I installed the forks, but the headset is giving me issues with back on forth slop on the top cup. I've installed these things before and think I did it correctly, but will tear it down again nonetheless to inspect bearing orientation, race placement, etc.

Edit: So it was a combination of two problems.

The first problem, the original top spacer didn't provide enough room between itself and the steer tube. So, the top cap wasn't able to clamp effectively and keep everything tight. I swapped to a taller space and that did the trick.

The second problem was I must've been distracted because both bearings were improperly oriented. So, when I tightened the top cap correctly whole thing seized up and I couldn't turn the bars easily.

I took everything apart, reoriented the bearings, used the new spacers, tightened up the top cap, tightened up the stem and now the headset works as expected - no slop, no grinding, just silky smoothness.

Next on the agenda, deal with the mushy front brake. It either needs to be drained, filled, and bled, or replaced due to a failing master cylinder.

Posted: Jan 2, 2022 at 9:37 Quote
cromag wrote:
So, I installed the forks, but the headset is giving me issues with back on forth slop on the top cup. I've installed these things before and think I did it correctly, but will tear it down again nonetheless to inspect bearing orientation, race placement, etc.

Edit: So it was a combination of two problems.

The first problem, the original top spacer didn't provide enough room between itself and the steer tube. So, the top cap wasn't able to clamp effectively and keep everything tight. I swapped to a taller space and that did the trick.

The second problem was I must've been distracted because both bearings were improperly oriented. So, when I tightened the top cap correctly whole thing seized up and I couldn't turn the bars easily.

I took everything apart, reoriented the bearings, used the new spacers, tightened up the top cap, tightened up the stem and now the headset works as expected - no slop, no grinding, just silky smoothness.

Next on the agenda, deal with the mushy front brake. It either needs to be drained, filled, and bled, or replaced due to a failing master cylinder.

Nice fix! Always great when you finally find the issue and it feels all good after sorting it!

Posted: Jan 2, 2022 at 19:58 Quote
My personal rig, got the frame a while ago for dirt cheap at a local shop. I've gotten super lucky with finding components for it.
Here's the specs:
2006 bighit 1 size large
fox DHX5.0
2003 marzocchi monster T2
Arrow DHX rims on Chris King ISO hubs
Duro Razorback 24x3 tires
Azonic Loveseat
Azonic shorty stem and PDW bars
Hope tech3 E4 brakes
Raceface evolve DH cranks
Forte stomp pedals

photo

photo

photo

where it started

the price was too good I couldn t resist 200 at a local shop.

Posted: Jan 3, 2022 at 0:03 Quote
thomas1965 wrote:
My personal rig, got the frame a while ago for dirt cheap at a local shop. I've gotten super lucky with finding components for it.
Here's the specs:
2006 bighit 1 size large
fox DHX5.0
2003 marzocchi monster T2
Arrow DHX rims on Chris King ISO hubs
Duro Razorback 24x3 tires
Azonic Loveseat
Azonic shorty stem and PDW bars
Hope tech3 E4 brakes
Raceface evolve DH cranks
Forte stomp pedals

photo

photo

photo

where it started

the price was too good I couldn t resist 200 at a local shop.

Absolutely love it man. Fellow BH owner here. If I'd seen yours rolling past tho, I would just go home lol

Those forks are such a classic. Great build!

Posted: Jan 3, 2022 at 6:26 Quote
^ sweet rig! \m/

Spam: anybody interested in an 888 for their vintage rig? Got one with a Mojo 999 cart collecting dust. Needs rebuild and is missing the bolt that threads into the axle. Its yours for whoever wants it for shipping + $50 beer money.

Posted: Apr 15, 2022 at 22:02 Quote
Hello fellow big hit owners! Does anybody have a BETD 26” chainstay for a big hit that they are looking to sale?

Posted: Mar 30, 2023 at 14:14 Quote
This is my spacecraft
Specialized bighit 2010 FSR
Size - M
Shock - Fox Van R
Fork - Marzochi Bomber 888 rc3 EVO
Brakes - Avid juicy | 203 mm front rotor ,180 mm Back
Seat - Raceface
Wheels - Alexrims
Tyres - Maxxis Minion DHF 26x2.5 | Maxxis High roller 26x2.5
Crankset - Moto x
Shifter and derailleur - Sram x5
Pedals - Raceface Chester
Grips - Kona

photo

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016707
Mobile Version of Website