Meta V4 Owners Club

PB Forum :: Commencal
Meta V4 Owners Club
Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 17:35 Quote
Hey Meta V4 types,

Super late to the game here, been away from the shock-tech side of MTB for a while, but I just bought a friend's 2015 V4 Meta Am with the Marzocchi CR front end and XFusion O2 rear shock. I can't say I love the feel of the Xfusion so far (feels a little wooden), but overall the bike is sick for the money and rides great!

I want to look at an aftermarket rear shock. Commencal told me to look at the Monarch Debonair Plus as a much better alternative to the stock O2. Seeing that some of you have had a few seasons on the bike now, what's the current go-to rear shock for aggressive all around riding for a 200 pound rider if not the Debonair Plus? I'd love to avoid the extra weight of a coil and needing to fuss with massaging something in that doesn't quite fit out of the box. Any good plug'n play options out there? Thanks in advance for any help!

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 18:10 Quote
winddoctor wrote:
Hey Meta V4 types,

Super late to the game here, been away from the shock-tech side of MTB for a while, but I just bought a friend's 2015 V4 Meta Am with the Marzocchi CR front end and XFusion O2 rear shock. I can't say I love the feel of the Xfusion so far (feels a little wooden), but overall the bike is sick for the money and rides great!

I want to look at an aftermarket rear shock. Commencal told me to look at the Monarch Debonair Plus as a much better alternative to the stock O2. Seeing that some of you have had a few seasons on the bike now, what's the current go-to rear shock for aggressive all around riding for a 200 pound rider if not the Debonair Plus? I'd love to avoid the extra weight of a coil and needing to fuss with massaging something in that doesn't quite fit out of the box. Any good plug'n play options out there? Thanks in advance for any help!

The float x is vastly superior to the monarch but will probably be more expensive. If you end up with a monarch get the one with the regular air can instead of the debonaire.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 18:19 Quote
PhoS wrote:
The float x is vastly superior to the monarch but will probably be more expensive. If you end up with a monarch get the one with the regular air can instead of the debonaire.

I'm not so concerned with the cost but am interested to read opinions on the best rear shock for the V4. Thanks for the input! The Float X will fit?

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 21:24 Quote
Yep, i've had one on mine for a couple seasons now.

Posted: Feb 7, 2019 at 23:19 Quote
PhoS wrote:

I would definitely recommend the debonair, why would you not?

Bigger air chamber (both positive and negative) so even if you pack the positive air chamber with tokens, it still retains good sensitivity.

As for RS vs Fox, the Float X is not that far from the Monarch, but you can literally fix a leaky Monarch or change the tune on the side of a picnic table with barely any tools lol

Sure I'd prefer a Float X2, but it doesn't fit in Meta V4 ...

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 8:16 Quote
I had the regular HV can and I had to load so many volume spacers in I could barely fit the can back on.

Switched to the debonair and although I probably use the same amount of volume spacers there is obviously more room and it does feel more supple off the the top with the same amount of bottom out resistance.

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 10:48 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
PhoS wrote:

I would definitely recommend the debonair, why would you not?

Bigger air chamber (both positive and negative) so even if you pack the positive air chamber with tokens, it still retains good sensitivity.

As for RS vs Fox, the Float X is not that far from the Monarch, but you can literally fix a leaky Monarch or change the tune on the side of a picnic table with barely any tools lol

Sure I'd prefer a Float X2, but it doesn't fit in Meta V4 ...

While I agree the debonair feels quite plush off the top, but it's also spongy and wallowing at the same time. I ended up adding spacers to the negative as well, and changing the compression tune. The HV can's chambers are more appropriately sized to begin with. The main issue is that the low speed damping is completely non existent. Funny the pike from the same generation feels just as bad.. lol

O+
Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 10:49 Quote
inverted180 wrote:
I had the regular HV can and I had to load so many volume spacers in I could barely fit the can back on.

Switched to the debonair and although I probably use the same amount of volume spacers there is obviously more room and it does feel more supple off the the top with the same amount of bottom out resistance.

Why did you add spacers? For bottom out? How much do you weigh?

Posted: Feb 8, 2019 at 11:37 Quote
easily bottomed out in both cases.....

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 19:50 Quote
Just picked up a bare v4.2 frame. Can anyone recommend a shock? Im leaning coil but Im sensitive to sag and bottiming resistance, like those two parts have to be perfect and Im afraid Ill never get there with a coil.

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
Got a deal on a dhx2 coil so Im gonna try that out. Am I correct that the shock hardware needs to be 20x10 and 15x10mm?

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 22:43 Quote
Anyone running the V4 with Fox DPX2? Tried a search in this thread and didn't see an answer.

Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 7:54 Quote
winddoctor wrote:
Anyone running the V4 with Fox DPX2? Tried a search in this thread and didn't see an answer.
Never seen a V4 with a dpx2 but I dont see why it wouldnt fit.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
Could be a tight fit with the adjusters. I have one coming I can test fit with next week.

Posted: Feb 16, 2019 at 16:31 Quote
Thanks PhoS, that would be fantastic. I messaged Commencal and they said it *should* fit.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012649
Mobile Version of Website