Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Mechanics Quick Question Thread [Ask Questions Here]
O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2016 at 18:01 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
pdon wrote:
This is probably a dumb question.... If you are working with a Lyrik 170 which has 170/180 written on it...would I be correct to assume you can't sneak a 160mm air shaft in it to drop it to 160?
Nope, you could lower it to 160 if you want.

Not 100 percent sure but I think you could even go like 120 or 130 with a yari air shaft.

You're correct!

If you look up the Rockshox 2017 spare parts catalogue with exploded diagrams (https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/Km3kzSmU_KOq7DmbJCRDsS6HHI8G5UcTZFN0CAaxBa8/mtime:1479314052/sites/default/files/techdocs/2017_rockshox_spc_rev_b.pdf), you can buy air piston assemblies for 120 up to 180 (Page 92 of catalogue). The Rockshox part number you need for a 160 lyrik air shaft is 11.4018.026.004 Air Shaft Solo Air - PIKE (150mm 29), Lyrik/Yari (160mm). Go to your LBS to place the order and you'll be set!

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 2:56 Quote
silverfish1974 wrote:
genovvv wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:

Make sure you pull quick release back when tightening/loosening, not like thru axle on rear frames.

So I tried the qr skewer on the fork only whitout wheel and it's tight as F,but when it's on the hub it moves.

Must be the bearings in your hub. Hubs with loose ball bearings can be adjusted to remove the play. If they're cartridge bearings then if it has play(wobble) in then the cartridge bearing will need replacing.

Riding the bike with the wheel whilst it's wobbly will make it worse and could cause extra wear and damage.

It's the qr,I need qlc quick lock,not the one a have rock shox for threaded fork

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 8:10 Quote
Stayslacking wrote:
Tmonster2301 wrote:
pdon wrote:
This is probably a dumb question.... If you are working with a Lyrik 170 which has 170/180 written on it...would I be correct to assume you can't sneak a 160mm air shaft in it to drop it to 160?
Nope, you could lower it to 160 if you want.

Not 100 percent sure but I think you could even go like 120 or 130 with a yari air shaft.

You're correct!

If you look up the Rockshox 2017 spare parts catalogue with exploded diagrams (https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign.netdna-ssl.com/cdn/farfuture/Km3kzSmU_KOq7DmbJCRDsS6HHI8G5UcTZFN0CAaxBa8/mtime:1479314052/sites/default/files/techdocs/2017_rockshox_spc_rev_b.pdf), you can buy air piston assemblies for 120 up to 180 (Page 92 of catalogue). The Rockshox part number you need for a 160 lyrik air shaft is 11.4018.026.004 Air Shaft Solo Air - PIKE (150mm 29), Lyrik/Yari (160mm). Go to your LBS to place the order and you'll be set!

Thank you.

Super helpful guys

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 16:34 Quote
Hi all,

I've bought a 157mm x 12mm and 110mm x 20mm wheel set which has formula hubs front and rear.

Can anyone please tell me if these could be converted down to 150mm x 12mm rear and 100mm x 20mm front?

I intend to fit these wheels to a Zumbi F44 frame with the standard width forks.

Another frame to build And it s gonna be the best downhill bike.. THIS WORLD HAS EVER SEEN... Well it s not because Intense carbon M16.. lol lol but i m gonna bet pretty damn happy with it once it comes to my door These are the seller s pics I seriously can t wait though.. Such a nice looking frame At least in my opinion.

I figure trimming 5mm/3.5mm from either side of the hub covers would solve this but i don't wanna do anything drastic that will likely ruin the hub or disc/cassette alignment unless i know for certain that it will solve this.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

Kind regards,

Rob

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 16:48 Quote
20 x 110mm is the only spacing you get for 20mm axles. No such thing as 20 x 100, although 15x100 and 20x110 use the same hub shell.
157 and 150 are the same deal as 142 and 135 are to each other. Same hub shell, different end caps. Chances are you'll be able to buy adapters no problem.

Posted: Dec 8, 2016 at 16:57 Quote
jamieridesbikes wrote:
20 x 110mm is the only spacing you get for 20mm axles. No such thing as 20 x 100, although 15x100 and 20x110 use the same hub shell.
157 and 150 are the same deal as 142 and 135 are to each other. Same hub shell, different end caps. Chances are you'll be able to buy adapters no problem.

Thanks for the help Jamie, Seems i was mistaken on the 20mm hub front Facepalm

(Too many crazy standards nowadays)

Thanks again for clearing up this confusion for me, Much appreciated Smile

Posted: Dec 9, 2016 at 1:55 Quote
Hi.

I have Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 1 2015 fork. In the user manual it says that depending on the riders weight the fork should be pumped from 0 bar (for 55-65 kg rider) to 1 bar (85-105 kg). That's from 0-14.5 psi.

What I'd lke to know is will something brake if I increase pressure further than 1 bar? Say 2-2.5 bars?

Posted: Dec 9, 2016 at 9:32 Quote
Ketvok wrote:
Hi.

I have Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 1 2015 fork. In the user manual it says that depending on the riders weight the fork should be pumped from 0 bar (for 55-65 kg rider) to 1 bar (85-105 kg). That's from 0-14.5 psi.

What I'd lke to know is will something brake if I increase pressure further than 1 bar? Say 2-2.5 bars?

the DJ already has a heavy coil, I don't think increasing your max PSI by 100% - 150% is a good idea. if it were me, I would max out air pressure and then re-measure sag... if it's still too much, maybe check if there is an extra-heavy coil available. definitely check with marzocchi first, then try getting it "re-tuned" by a certified suspension service, like TF Tuned ... http://www.tftuned.com/

Posted: Dec 9, 2016 at 9:36 Quote
kayakosaeki66 wrote:
jamieridesbikes wrote:

Thanks for the help Jamie, Seems i was mistaken on the 20mm hub front Facepalm

(Too many crazy standards nowadays)

Thanks again for clearing up this confusion for me, Much appreciated Smile

also, depending on the Formula hubs you have, they might not be convertible (mine weren't Cry ) or at least not as easy as ordering axles/end caps sold specifically for your hubs. post some pics, I'm curious. axle and end caps that fit azonic (novatec) might match. a lot of these OEM hubs are similar if not the same.

Posted: Dec 9, 2016 at 13:31 Quote
Anyone buy deraileur hangers off ebay? My 2008 Giant Reign X2 has #21 dropouts and I found the same on ebay for cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Mountain-Bike-Rear-Derailleur-Hanger-Dropout-More-Styles-with-Screws-New-/141779876879?var=&hash=item2102bd3c0f:m:mMH6cUQF3AgqIEmLASpbyBQ

Any experience with these?

Posted: Dec 10, 2016 at 5:57 Quote
rydelean wrote:
silverfish1974 wrote:
Ohh you mean the Hope mount in the link above...not sure if it will work. Would be good if it does...
It does work it's an I spec b to i spec 2 matchmaker if you want to run xtr I spec 2 shifter that is what you need for your zee lever

Part number
hbsp 327

Anyone tried this as I read a thread on a mtb forum and apparently it didn't work.
Xtr 11sp shifter to i-spec b Zee brakes?..

Basically the same thing I want to achieve:

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/xt-i-spec-ii-shifter-i-spec-b-brakes-solution-996480.html

Posted: Dec 10, 2016 at 8:46 Quote
kinny-pb wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a mechanic, but thought I'd make a thread for quick questions for mechanics to answer all technical related enquiries.

I thought it'd be a good idea as when mechanics have seen this, they can subscribe, and most questions will be seen by one of the mechs to be answered if somebody is desperate for a quick answer.

Feel free to click HERE which will subscribe you to the thread, or just click subscribe above.

#BANS , #BANS
How do I change my derailleur hanger?

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2016 at 8:53 Quote
christheshredder wrote:
kinny-pb wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I am not a mechanic, but thought I'd make a thread for quick questions for mechanics to answer all technical related enquiries.

I thought it'd be a good idea as when mechanics have seen this, they can subscribe, and most questions will be seen by one of the mechs to be answered if somebody is desperate for a quick answer.

Feel free to click HERE which will subscribe you to the thread, or just click subscribe above.

#BANS , #BANS
How do I change my derailleur hanger?
http://letmegooglethat.com/#.WEwyLJW_SBc.sms

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2016 at 9:41 Quote
So, I got a question about my Garmin Edge 1000, don't really know where to post it but I'm going to take a guess that somebody here will know an answer.
When I'm out biking, I like to record my tracks with my GPS, but I'm a lot of the time out for the whole day which drains my battery at the end of the day which then results in losing my ride and that sucks. So I started thinking about a powerbank which could be usefull for both my GPS and iPhone on the road. Are there things at which I should look when buying a powerbank or are there specific things which could result in a not working powerbank? Thanks in advance!

Posted: Dec 10, 2016 at 10:27 Quote
any opinions on epicon vs bomber 33?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026036
Mobile Version of Website