Powered by Outside

Superstar components opinions?

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
Superstar components opinions?
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 7:30 Quote
peter413 wrote:
Don't forget about the Hope Hoops as well. Amazing VFM, especially the Stans rims. Couple of mates have sets and have had no problems with them at all.

I'm probably gonna get a set to replace the Superstars when I have the money

I'm thinking Sun Ringle MTX29 rims on Hope Pro 2.

But then again, there are other forums on here with people saying their superstar wheelsets are the best they've ever owned when compaing price, weight and build quality. There's a possibility your sets were built by an inexperienced wheel builder, or new starter etc. Very confused

ARRRRRGH, Decisions! Madder

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 10:40 Quote
According to Neil himself they were built by their own experienced wheel builder but you are right, all 4 wheels could just have been a crap set.

Sun Ringle rims are great though, I've just ordered an MTX 33 rim for the rear of my 224 and a Ringle hub.

Although heavy they are bombproof but so are Pro II's. Take a look at something like Stans Flows on Pro II's (its a Hope hoops build so can be had for about 250 for the set). I have a mate who has been running his for ages on his Hemlock, has taken it down Fort William etc. and hasn't had a single problem with them. He is quite light but still

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 13:44 Quote
Well actually, I disagree with the sunringle rims being 'great'

There perfectly good, nice n strong. But changing tyres on them is IMPOSSIBLE Takes like 10+ mins usually.
Maybe it could just be the the particular model from that year though.

Mavics really good, but obviously cost more.

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 13:47 Quote
PerryDH wrote:
Well actually, I disagree with the sunringle rims being 'great'

There perfectly good, nice n strong. But changing tyres on them is IMPOSSIBLE Takes like 10+ mins usually.
Maybe it could just be the the particular model from that year though.

You rate rims down because they are hard to change tyres on???????

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 14:08 Quote
Yeap!

A good rim should be strong (not ding easily), have a good tyre bead which holds the tyre when you get the off flat every now and then, but should also let go of the tyre when you use a lever instead of serveral screwdrivers!

Had rims on an 2007 saracen which ticked all the boxes, mavics ex729s were similar, so does the superstar, but the set of ringles that are on my Gran Mal are a real pain! Plus i dinged one of the rims trying to get a tyre off!

As i said it could just be that model from that year though, as i have not tried anyother ringles.

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 14:12 Quote
I have found that certain rims behave differently with tyres so can get a bit of getting used to to get tyres on and off easily.

I remember that I never used to struggle with some old DT's, then went to some other rims for a while then went back to the DT's and they were really hard to get the tyre on and off. Could this also possibly be the problem.

But anyway, I don't mind if it's a bugger to change tyres, I don't do it that often on a DH bike

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 14:18 Quote
Could be just that the other rims i've had are quite easy.

See i'm the opposite, i'm constatly changing tyres, especially at races!

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 14:20 Quote
Well since I will be changing brakes and stuff between bikes every race I don't really mind that extra work, its twice a week at most usually (and I might like fiddling with things Redface )

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 14:24 Quote
Yea i fiddle my parts quite alot too, but im not gunna fiddle with yours Wink lol

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 14:27 Quote
Thank God, I'd have to go all the way to Wales for you toolol

Posted: Dec 6, 2010 at 14:51 Quote
ive had a set of Voltage wheels on Switch hubs for 6 months now and ive had no problems with them, been out in some seriously wet and muddy irish weather and the hubs are still perfect, only tad to tighten some spokes lately. Im building my next DH bike with all Superstar gear, DH wheelset(Blue rims, white hubs and gold spokes,blue Headset, Chainguide, pedals, grips and blue floating rotors

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 0:46 Quote
PerryDH wrote:

Mavics really good, but obviously cost more.

If they did them in white, I'd buy them in heartbeat!

Posted: Dec 7, 2010 at 14:02 Quote
HOw about Halo freedom disc rims, solid rims, good weight and a fair price.

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 at 23:59 Quote
I bought a ultra hub in the sales last year; it's loud, amazing pick up speed (faster than a pro2) and the overall build quality is great. Don't listen to bike snobs!! Superstar components may be new but they are making great product s at half the price of over manufacturers

Posted: Apr 11, 2018 at 15:29 Quote
partialD wrote:
Hello, i have read very mixed reviews on superstar components and am interested in two things really

A)Has anyone had any experience with Superstarcomponents and there products/wheel building skills?

B) http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=348

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=227{5}568

Would you say these are worth the money, and which is better- i ride to work each day via road and riverbank and the hardest stuff i ride on a weekend would equate to Dalby forest's red trail.

If you know of any wheelsets in this price/weight range of better value please point me in that direction and greatfull i shall be.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.021848
Mobile Version of Website