Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Are ajustable seat posts worth getting?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Are ajustable seat posts worth getting?
Posted: Jul 21, 2011 at 15:10 Quote
Hi,

Go get one !!!!!!!!!!!,

best things since, "disc brakes and proper full sus".

Steve

O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2011 at 6:57 Quote
I broke down and got a Specialized Command post for my 2007 Stumpjumper. Installation was a breeze and I used some sticky cable routing things the shop had to adapt my older frame to the additional cable.

I went for a nice ride yesterday (16 miles, 3700' of elevation change) and I am a convert! Riding with the drop post is absolutely amazing!!!

Posted: Jul 25, 2011 at 7:40 Quote
One came as standard on my Dad's new bike, I pinched it for a ride and I'm now saving up for my own! True they add a little weight, but they keep the flow going so well! I've had to change back to my standard post now, and I feel like a caveman, stopping to drop the seat for chucking the bike down some hills!

Posted: Jul 26, 2011 at 21:00 Quote
I have a Joplin and I love it. Don't knock it until you try it.

Posted: Jul 27, 2011 at 5:14 Quote
I guess you have to look at where you ride and how many times when you get to the top of a climb you stop anyway ..
I for one always stop before a ride back down just to catch my breath rest the legs and focus the old brain on the job in hand so dropping the post is not really a drama . most of the time I ride with my seat the same height ... I guess it the whole if you have remote lockout on your forks and on the fly travel adjust you use it ..... I say if you don't care too much about weight then go for it

Posted: Jul 27, 2011 at 6:33 Quote
iv had a guy buy 3 rock shox reverbs off me in the last month for each of his bikes and he swears by them as do alot of the guys that buy them, I would say stay away from the jopling unless its a jopling 2

Posted: Jul 29, 2011 at 10:39 Quote
Oh Yes, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Best thing since Disc brakes,! But even better......!

O+
Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 11:19 Quote
I got the ks i900r and love it. It requires constant maintenance and needs to be set up just right. I'm on my 2nd of the season, the first one I received was DOA.

Posted: Aug 3, 2011 at 9:38 Quote
I had a Joplin with the remote on my Slayer, I hated it (not the joplin, just the adjustable seat post in general) so I sold it. Now, 1 year later, I kind of miss having it when I ride XC......

Posted: Aug 28, 2011 at 19:59 Quote
sflann10 wrote:
I had a Joplin with the remote on my Slayer, I hated it (not the joplin, just the adjustable seat post in general) so I sold it. Now, 1 year later, I kind of miss having it when I ride XC......

Why did you hate it? What general hate-on do you have for the adjustable posts?? Just curious.

Posted: Aug 29, 2011 at 1:23 Quote
When i bought my second hand Trek Remedy 8, a Joplin 4 w/ remote came with it. I had only ever ridden a normal post on my Trek Ex 8, but god i love being able to drop my seat by those few inches, and having the remote means on unfamiliar trails, i can get the seat out of the way really quickly.

Also means that when i place a wager with a friend on who can get down the hill quickest, I can keep up my speed on the flat stretchs (obviously without having to stop and put my seat up) so yes, the "flow factor" makes it more worthwhile for me!!!

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 at 19:45 Quote
Here's a thought, If you're group riding and you are the only one to have the dropper post, would you not be doing alot of waiting for people adjusting their seatposts?

O+
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 at 20:02 Quote
smokinowned wrote:
Here's a thought, If you're group riding and you are the only one to have the dropper post, would you not be doing alot of waiting for people adjusting their seatposts?

It's got less to do with the stopping and waiting and more to do with the fact that you never have to ride with your seat at the wrong height, even for a few seconds. How many times have you ridden a section with your seat higher than you'd like, but you can't be bothered to stop? You can ride it, sure, but did you lean that sucker right over and roost the berm? Did you launch the rock and whip your wheel out? How about you just did all that with your seat down and now there's a slight uphill for maybe a minute or so. Are you going to get off your bike to make the climb more comfortable or just suffer through it by standing the whole way? Or maybe you've been pedaling on a flat fireroad for 15 minutes and your legs are burning. Are you going to stop to adjust your post just enough to hit those muscles slightly differently for a few minutes. Not a chance.

I was on the flipside; everyone else had one and I'd either stop and get dropped or suffer with the wrong height. Now it's kinda rare that anyone on our rides is without one.

Think of it this way: If everyone rode a full rigid bike and it meant I have to wait at the bottom of every awesome rough fast section I'd just wait with my dually and a grin on my face.

Ignorance may be bliss, but a drop post is better.

Although, some people think it's cool that they can nail steeps with their seat jacked. Whatever floats their boat I guess.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018997
Mobile Version of Website