Powered by Outside

Trek fuel ex...is abp good...

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Trek fuel ex...is abp good...
Posted: Aug 29, 2011 at 19:26 Quote
I have a 2010 Trek EX8 and it has been a really solid bike on Colorado rocky trails. I would agree with someone's earlier post, about buying it and having to gain skill to fully utilize it. As for the APB, I love it! It is predictable and my rear wheel tracks true even at speed over rock gardens. It drifts well and also predictably.
My other experiences regarding Trek is that they are great with warranty. I have broken a chainstay, blown out a rear shock and stripped out a bearing inside of the rocker link. Trek replaced all of the parts no questions asked and in a timely manner.

Posted: Aug 30, 2011 at 5:50 Quote
the main benefit of ABP is that you can land from a drop/jump with your rear wheel locked and youve still got 100% of your suspension action, with no kick back or other side effects. ive got a rememdy, its amazing Smile you could certainly do worse than a fuel

Posted: Aug 31, 2011 at 20:04 Quote
Thx a lot for your feedback guys! Do any of you had problems with the frame? Im a pretty rough rider...id sometimes ride this bike like an all mountain one.Nothing exagerate tough, mainly fast rocky,rooty harsh single track. But id do some 3-4 foot drops with it. Do you guys think it would handle fine?

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 12:20 Quote
Regarding the frame durability, I have broken a weld on the non-drive side chainstay and stripped out a rocker link bearing. I also blew out the rear shock, but I think that was my fault for riding in 16 degree weather. Trek has warrantied all of it though and the new parts seem to be holding up well.

Posted: Sep 1, 2011 at 15:20 Quote
ive got a remedy, the fuels big brother, and tbh, when ive spent some more time on it, i reckon itd take a nice 10 - 12 ft drop Smile i would say a fuel would handle 3 or 4 Smile

Posted: Sep 2, 2011 at 12:49 Quote
inked-up-metalhead wrote:
ive got a remedy, the fuels big brother, and tbh, when ive spent some more time on it, i reckon itd take a nice 10 - 12 ft drop Smile i would say a fuel would handle 3 or 4 Smile

photo

Posted: Sep 2, 2011 at 13:06 Quote
that a remedy? i know theyre pretty capable Smile im a fat bastard like, cant go as big lol

Posted: Sep 3, 2011 at 14:09 Quote
Its single pivot, so its not completely free to respond to bumps during braking, the susp will stiffen

Posted: Sep 3, 2011 at 14:51 Quote
if you liked the devinci dexter so much, why didn't you try the dixon?

the trek bikes are looking really good for 2012. so good that I almost ordered an ex 8...but I want a 29er hard tail more!

that being said...try out a 29er!

Posted: Sep 3, 2011 at 18:57 Quote
lostinsolitarythought wrote:
if you liked the devinci dexter so much, why didn't you try the dixon?

I had a Dixon RC for a week to try and it was an excelent bike.Awsome to do light downhill,agressive trail riding.Very solid stiff frame,great handling,very precise and nimble BUT for doing XC,it felt too slugish,heavy and hard to climb (good for an all mountain bike but not compared to a real xc bike) and i dont have the budget to get the 5000$ super light build.Also, i have a downhill bike already, i dont need an all mountain bike thats that solid and geared toward agressive riding just for doing XC trails. Then i tried the Dexter and it was absolutely a blast to ride xc trails with it(27lbs for the not so expensive build),super stiff frame too and so efficient it was almost effortless to climb compared to the Dixon and with the relatively slack ha it was very stable for such a short travel bike.Only thing bothering me is with the 100mm fork i bottomed too often. To be honnest im still considering buying it and puting a 120mm fork on it. It would be a great light and durable agressive xc/trail bike but the Fuel ex looks good too and i always hear how bottomless the drcv feel soo...

If i could own only one bike id go Dixon but its not the best suited to my need right now.

Posted: Sep 4, 2011 at 2:22 Quote
nightflame159 wrote:
Im looking for a good efficient 5'' trail bike that climbs super well and do equaly good on the down. I tried a Devinci dexter and it was awsome but only 100mm and bottomed the suspension too much on the rough stuff...tried a RockyMountain element msl 30 and didnt liked it too much..felt too much like a xc race bike..not plush and fun enough.

Right now im considering a 2012 trek fuel ex 9, 2012 specialized camber..maybe giant trance x1...

Good warranty is important to me and efficiency is more important than weight but id still like a light bike if possible.
I bought a Devinci dixon but it is a little more all mountain it is great Try a 29 fully they fly

Posted: Nov 21, 2011 at 11:15 Quote
trek ex 9 2012
weight (18") - 12.68kg

I have been riding this thing at my shop round the streets, the slacker geometry on the 2012 changes the feel drastically from the 2011 ex 9 that my colleague has. feels more rugged. going down hill is going to be a dream on it

Super Fun bike, Tricks really well

Posted: Nov 23, 2011 at 21:39 Quote
Go with the Trek Fuel... goes up really well, descends like a champ for 120mm. A perfect do-it-all bike!

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 5:00 Quote
I have been looking into full suspension for the first time (haven't ridden a suspended bike that was my own since the early 90's - was never impressed with the way they worked, weighed, or cost for what you got) and have settled (on budgetary reasons) on a choice between (lowest cost to highest):

2011 Giant Trance X3 - $1865
2011 Trek Fuel EX8 - $2017
2012 Giant Reign 2 - $2186
2008 Specialized Enduro SL Comp - $2259
2011 Giant Trance X2 - $2300

Major points of contention:

1 - I found the Trek and Giant suspensions to work quite similarly, but funny enough, the Giant uses a through axel on the front while the Trek did not, but the Trek rear end has a stiff axel set up while the Giant was typical QR.

2 - The X3 and SL do not have shock/fork lockout.

3 - Trek and Specialized use proprietary shocks/shock-fork set ups respectively.

4 - Price.

I find the Trance X3 more than adequately spec'd with the exception of the rear shock not having a lock out... is that big enough to be a deal breaker? What would the upgrade cost from a Float R to the RP2? Otherwise, the Reign has a bit of a cheaper mix of components but more suspension travel and the lockout on the R23. The Trek has the most elegant engineered rear suspension though I would rather it had a regular rear Fox shock...

Sorry to kind of hijack this, but at the same point I thought this would also help the poster.

Posted: Nov 26, 2011 at 10:59 Quote
The Trek DRCV proprietary shock works very well; it's just like they promote, "bottomless". Also, the Float R would be a deal breaker if it were me...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019140
Mobile Version of Website