Powered by Outside

2011/2012 Winter Training

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
2011/2012 Winter Training
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 20, 2012 at 2:37 Quote
mdstampy wrote:
ride some trials, dirt jumps and other sorts on biking you can also try some mx it really improves your skills with your bike and trials really helps with strength.
hope that helps tup Salute

I'm really not the "made of chocolate kind" but just last week we had 15cm of snow, then the snow turned to rain and then the temperature went below -20 celcius. I really love riding in the mud during cold autumn days or when its +40 during the summer but this is a little too much for me. I saw some people riding their bikes and they really didnt seem to enjoy it all that much haha.

Posted: Jan 20, 2012 at 13:41 Quote
PLC07 wrote:
mdstampy wrote:
ride some trials, dirt jumps and other sorts on biking you can also try some mx it really improves your skills with your bike and trials really helps with strength.

I'm really not the "made of chocolate kind" but just last week we had 15cm of snow, then the snow turned to rain and then the temperature went below -20 celcius. I really love riding in the mud during cold autumn days or when its +40 during the summer but this is a little too much for me. I saw some people riding their bikes and they really didnt seem to enjoy it all that much haha.

fair enough you could find you closest indoor skate park and go there but where im form the weather isnt as drastic as that so you can pretty much ride every day if you want. also i would invest in a power ball they are really good at building up arm strength and it also helps defeat arm pump

Posted: Jan 20, 2012 at 21:44 Quote
mdstampy wrote:
PLC07 wrote:
mdstampy wrote:

fair enough you could find you closest indoor skate park and go there but where im form the weather isnt as drastic as that so you can pretty much ride every day if you want. also i would invest in a power ball they are really good at building up arm strength and it also helps defeat arm pump

I went over the DJ bike option but the local indoor skatepark passes cost a small fortune (on top of having to actually buy a DJ bike) and its not very bike friendly it seems. Some rock climbing friends I know have the powerball. I tried it. It's a cool toy and it seems like it works but so far hand grip has never been a problem for me when riding. I don't know if I can attribute that to heavy deadlifting or whatever but I don't feel like I need any specialized work in that area. Same for forearm pump but I still do some wrist curler work when the bike season is getting close (a weight tied to a string tied to a stick that you roll up.).

I'm switching from DH to AM next season (mainly due to schedule problems... and a lot of curiousity). Not quite sure what to expect exactly but getting quite strong and working on explosiveness never hurts. With a fair deal of cardio tossed in the mix, pretty sure I'll be in more than decent shape for the next season.

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 3:53 Quote
PLC07 wrote:
mdstampy wrote:
PLC07 wrote:

I went over the DJ bike option but the local indoor skatepark passes cost a small fortune (on top of having to actually buy a DJ bike) and its not very bike friendly it seems. Some rock climbing friends I know have the powerball. I tried it. It's a cool toy and it seems like it works but so far hand grip has never been a problem for me when riding. I don't know if I can attribute that to heavy deadlifting or whatever but I don't feel like I need any specialized work in that area. Same for forearm pump but I still do some wrist curler work when the bike season is getting close (a weight tied to a string tied to a stick that you roll up.).

I'm switching from DH to AM next season (mainly due to schedule problems... and a lot of curiousity). Not quite sure what to expect exactly but getting quite strong and working on explosiveness never hurts. With a fair deal of cardio tossed in the mix, pretty sure I'll be in more than decent shape for the next season.

go our climbing with your friends, im a climber my self and i noticed that it does help its surprising how much upper body strength you use when rinding

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 4:40 Quote
mdstampy wrote:
PLC07 wrote:
mdstampy wrote:

go our climbing with your friends, im a climber my self and i noticed that it does help its surprising how much upper body strength you use when rinding

2 years ago I spent my entire winter "training" doing rock climbing. I found it helps for upper body indeed but it clearly wasn't enough for legs/lowerback/cardio to my experience. It wasn't terrible but it honestly was nowhere near I wanted to be. Last winter I stayed in the weight lifting gym for like 6 months (due to hand/elbow tendons completely annihilated by rock climbing) and it yielded better results by an extremely loooong shot, even for upper body. Tried and tested. I know what I'm putting my money (and time) on this year...

It's not like it's a chore though. Every rest day I can't wait for the next training day. I'm not as restless as when it comes to biking but still, I find strength training a lot of fun.

Posted: Jan 21, 2012 at 11:43 Quote
i think I'm gonna start doing a bit of cross country or enduro riding. I've been doing down hill all my life. i see people get a pretty solid workout from climbs and stuff. I'm not saying downhills not hard but you know what i mean. all this infos really helpful guys thanks a million my workout regime has been changed around. day and night difference. Salute

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019923
Mobile Version of Website