Does anyone pay attention in school at all?

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
Does anyone pay attention in school at all?
Posted: Jan 6, 2008 at 19:00 Quote
clickityclack wrote:
I don't exactly understand what you mean? And if I do, you'r pretty much wrong. I don't exactly know where you go to school but around here only grade nines are taught at the lowest common denominator (seeing as everyone would be the whole?) And, I know for a fact that grade nine in some schools is included in middle school. So, talking from grade ten and on, there is intensive courses for Math and English. Theres also a selective. Even since the rest of the courses are taught to the whole, the next two years each person is weeded out through catagories. Sciences around here all have the three catagories also Math and English. High School in no way is tuaght to the lowest common denominator.
As for the original post, I agree. I agree that people should take pride in education, but I further believe that I'de rather see proper grammar than spelling. Some people are from different countries, you should be more understanding. As for grammar... Spelled = spelt. Not really pointing anything out, I'm just saying. Yes I can understand, but everyone for the most part "can" understand words that are incorrectly spelt. The mind only needs the first and last letter in order to understand the word. Cerlay you culod udnretsnad waht Im wirtitng if you ralely tinhk aoubt it. I mean, common, don't hate. If you have a problem with someones spelling then just correct them. Everyone here always complains about spelling, in all honesty, if you can understand it, who cares.

Edit: also, I pay attention in school and still suck. My grades are bad and I work hard. The school system is in no way responsible for the failing attempts at teaching children who don't want to learn.

The difference is I go to school in America... and sure they have some AP courses but not for the courses I am taking... English, Biology, Civics and Economics, and Word History. When I went to a private Canadian school I was very challenged and my average was about %81 and i was in the top bracket of my grade.

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 6:50 Quote
u knw wht i dnt pay no attetion at schl, Na really i spell alot correctly but dont bother with all the little ' and stuff. sometimes i get a typo or two but doesnt everyone?Oh and no i dont pay any attetion at school either haha.

Posted: Jan 7, 2008 at 13:05 Quote
The school system is also responsible for supplying us with good teachers, not a should-be-retired-sub for 8 months of the year because our real teacher got pregnant.

Posted: Jan 8, 2008 at 12:53 Quote
marty660 wrote:
The school system is also responsible for supplying us with good teachers, not a should-be-retired-sub for 8 months of the year because our real teacher got pregnant.
Also very true. I don't think teachers themselves teach bad, but the education system itself thats bad. I know I'm only in high school but I can still see the problems within the system, and through younger grades. In life if you do something bad you go to some sort of prison system, if youth do something wrong they get less of an education? Even when sent to detention centers, those are in no way teaching facilities.

Posted: Jan 9, 2008 at 15:26 Quote
This idea of having separate school for different streams of learning. In Calgary we had two trade schools. But the government in their infinite wisdom is closing them down. Currently in Alberta we are in a severe tradespeople shortage, therefor this idea of closing down the school designed for people who want to take these avenues makes not sense to me.

They used to have in segregated schools for gifted,normal, and trades. My dad went to school in Fredericton, the school he went to there was divided into two halves. With solid doors between them. One side was academic and the other trades. In three years of going to school their he never crossed over into the "Grease-monkey" side of the school.

They used to have Streaming. You went into certain levels of classes, not because you chose to, but you had no other option. But in todays "age of equality" society, it was declared discriminatory and phased out. I agree they should bring it back in earlier. Kids work ethic is developed early in life. I was never challenged until I hit high school(i don't mean to sound like I am tooting my own horn, but I went for a week-long IQ test, at a local psychologist and was declared gifted). I never did any homework, never did any studying, never did anything, i just wrote tests and I had averages of 90 or higher. I hit highschool and my "coast on my brain" strategy just did not work, and i went from a 90 to a 60 almost overnight. My marks are recovering, I had to work much harder than I was used to and it took a while to get myself back into my comfort zone.

Posted: Jan 26, 2008 at 23:04 Quote
when im typing on the web, its half ass like most people, who cares right? When it comes time for english class i make sure i spell everything correct and use proper grammer especially for essays.

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 11:58 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
clickityclack wrote:

The difference is I go to school in America... and sure they have some AP courses but not for the courses I am taking... English, Biology, Civics and Economics, and Word History. When I went to a private Canadian school I was very challenged and my average was about %81 and i was in the top bracket of my grade.

I hear that on average, American schools mark alot easier then the Canadian counterparts? One of my friends who was a mid-80 average went to Michigan and he was getting low to mid 90s for the exact same effort. Is this true across the country, are there lower standards?

Posted: Jan 27, 2008 at 15:08 Quote
blackpantherparty wrote:
gibson19 wrote:
clickityclack wrote:

I hear that on average, American schools mark alot easier then the Canadian counterparts? One of my friends who was a mid-80 average went to Michigan and he was getting low to mid 90s for the exact same effort. Is this true across the country, are there lower standards?

Its true... my average was 81 throughout high school (private school though) and I got an A in every course I took this year... Graduated with a 4 GPA (International marks don't affect it Big Grin )

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 13:52 Quote
Has anyone watched Idiocracy?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Kind of a stupid movie but it has an interesting take on how things might work out.

Posted: Jan 30, 2008 at 14:00 Quote
Seen it. It is exagerated but it seems that our society is moving towards that life style.

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 16:46 Quote
I can't take anyones' posts that are laden with misspellings and incorrect grammar seriously. I just can't.

Posted: Feb 7, 2008 at 16:53 Quote
dowst wrote:
I can't take anyones' posts that are laden with misspellings and incorrect grammar seriously. I just can't.
My point exactly...

Posted: Feb 10, 2008 at 15:44 Quote
I always try to look at the ethnicity before I judge the comment. Sure this is an english web site, but we have to recognize english isn't everyone's first or second language. A fair share of the posters never use english outside this forum and that doesn't mean they shouldn't have access to it.

But when I see someone using msn-talk and they're from somewhere that I know without a doubt is predominantly english it makes me frusterated.

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 at 12:56 Quote
I pay attention with stuff i dont already know, or that i need to know/is crucial or whatnot. lol

Posted: Feb 13, 2008 at 12:58 Quote
i only pay attention if something is brought up about something i'm intrested in. like today i was practically screaming at the french teacher and calling the french text book a tard. their was clearly a picture of a guy hitting a latter drop on a bike that looked similar to a trek session 7. it even had manitou travis's, and the book called it a BMX bikeReally Mad .

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.022997
Mobile Version of Website