Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Do you know any inexpensive good dh bikes?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Do you know any inexpensive good dh bikes?
Posted: Mar 4, 2013 at 20:56 Quote
I had a budget which is why I went with the status. I could have got a new glory for $1999 but yeah, not really a fan.. The status is a good option because it's very versatile. It's a great all round bike. Fast and stable downhill and playfull in the park/free ride. It's also good on tighter tracks. Because it has a 135 rear hub it's cheaper for parts and you have more choices with wheels..

I don't think I'd ever buy second hand dh bikes..
Be patient and save more while your looking and you'll find a good deal.. And remember.. DON'T ACCEPT RETAIL PRICE.. Always bargain them down. They always inflate prices so ask them their best price and then knock them down a bit more.. At the worst get them to throw in some freebies..

Posted: Mar 5, 2013 at 5:16 Quote
Thank you. I was planning to save morem oney, but i like to plan things Wink

FL
Posted: Mar 5, 2013 at 15:34 Quote
tues seems to be a good options unless you live outside EU Really Mad

Posted: Mar 5, 2013 at 21:50 Quote
dpodgajski wrote:
I know that it is an expensive sport, but I was looking for cheaper solution. I am thinkin about the status now.

I am done with used parts. My body paid much bigger price that i would for new ones. Wink

Bdw i've seen vitus dominer 2 on crc for insane price, and I'm thinkin about that as my last solution. Has anyone had any experiences?

For local trails and most of the dh trails in Croatia 180 milimeters of travel would be enough.

Sorry for my english Smile

yea status seems good value (appart from fork) but is probably not the best handling bike, apparently it has a softish rear end and rides average under braking. not sure how much of an issue this is to you though.

Posted: Mar 5, 2013 at 23:04 Quote
nzDHer01 wrote:
dpodgajski wrote:
I know that it is an expensive sport, but I was looking for cheaper solution. I am thinkin about the status now.

I am done with used parts. My body paid much bigger price that i would for new ones. Wink

Bdw i've seen vitus dominer 2 on crc for insane price, and I'm thinkin about that as my last solution. Has anyone had any experiences?

For local trails and most of the dh trails in Croatia 180 milimeters of travel would be enough.

yea status seems good value (appart from fork) but is probably not the best handling bike, apparently it has a softish rear end and rides average under braking. not sure how much of an issue this is to you though.
What's wrong with a boxxer fork?
"Apparently" sounds like your going by hear say?
I own a 2013 status 2 and in my opinion what you said is untrue. Problem with many bikes of all models is some sales people and users have no idea how to set up suspension properly.
Unless you've ridden one and set up your suspension to suit your weight and riding style then you can't say stuff like it doesn't handle well etc. that's hear say which means nothing. The status didn't seem to have any trouble handling red bull rampage.. Lol..

Posted: Mar 6, 2013 at 3:52 Quote
hardyk wrote:
tues seems to be a good options unless you live outside EU Really Mad

I know, but I have a frend in Slovenia Smile

Posted: Mar 6, 2013 at 19:30 Quote
MrRustic wrote:
nzDHer01 wrote:
dpodgajski wrote:

I own a 2013 status 2 and in my opinion what you said is untrue. Problem with many bikes of all models is some sales people and users have no idea how to set up suspension properly.
Unless you've ridden one and set up your suspension to suit your weight and riding style then you can't say stuff like it doesn't handle well etc. that's hear say which means nothing. The status didn't seem to have any trouble handling red bull rampage.. Lol..

yea I was just going by what I have been told, i thought it came stock with domains? you have one so im sure you know how it rides.

Posted: Mar 6, 2013 at 21:08 Quote
nzDHer01 wrote:
MrRustic wrote:
nzDHer01 wrote:

yea I was just going by what I have been told, i thought it came stock with domains? you have one so im sure you know how it rides.
That's cool dude!.. Pre 2013 models came with domains so yeah your right the shock was very average but, 2013 models come with boxxer.. Peoples opinions vary so much and unless you've tried something it's hard to give an accurate opinion. I won't give an opinion unless I've tried something for myself. With suspension, even the best suspension set up incorrectly will work horribly. My experience with a lot of bike shops is the mechanics and sales people don't always know best. It pays to do your own research and always question the experience and knowledge of people especially sales people. Many of them only know what they've read in a magazine or manual which isn't always accurate. A lot of bike shop people are also road riders and have no idea and little interest in dh or mountain biking.. They just want their sales commission. But every now and then you find a find one. I've heard some absolute bullshit from bike shops.. Hence why it pays to shop around and ask different people the same questions and filter out the bs.. ;-)

Posted: Mar 7, 2013 at 5:09 Quote
kona operator? i have one very durable and bomb proof.... easy to upgrade too

Posted: Mar 7, 2013 at 6:21 Quote
mountianbikebelgium wrote:

Bomb proof? I don't wanna be a kona hater but all models up to the 2012's still had frame snapping issues.

Posted: Mar 7, 2013 at 6:31 Quote
MikeMarkov wrote:

Bomb proof? I don't wanna be a kona hater but all models up to the 2012's still had frame snapping issues.

dude that was maybee up to 2011 or so, and the 2013 has only been getting good reviews, plus, people snap all brands, go on google images and type in snapped v10. it happens to every bike if you ride it hard enough

Posted: Mar 7, 2013 at 6:34 Quote
MikeMarkov wrote:

dude that was maybee up to 2011 or so, and the 2013 has only been getting good reviews, plus, people snap all brands, go on google images and type in snapped v10. it happens to every bike if you ride it hard enough

Of course it could happen to any bike. I'm just saying that Konas have a higher risk of snapping. Anyways the 2013 models have apparently been reenforced on the downtube.

Posted: Mar 8, 2013 at 13:11 Quote
I had domain rc double crown and I can say that I prefer totem solo air. But that is just me.

I am a bit suspicious when it comes to kona bikes.. newer than 08. 08 stinky was really bomb proof. When bottominh it my dhx 5.0 exploaded and frame was as good as new. I have herad that they are using thinner tubes for reducing weight, but i would not take that chance.

Bdw i found status 1 2012 for cca 2000$ but i am suspicious about x-fusion suspension. Any experiences?

Posted: Mar 8, 2013 at 22:49 Quote
dpodgajski wrote:
I had domain rc double crown and I can say that I prefer totem solo air. But that is just me.

I am a bit suspicious when it comes to kona bikes.. newer than 08. 08 stinky was really bomb proof. When bottominh it my dhx 5.0 exploaded and frame was as good as new. I have herad that they are using thinner tubes for reducing weight, but i would not take that chance.

Bdw i found status 1 2012 for cca 2000$ but i am suspicious about x-fusion suspension. Any experiences?

yip. xfusion is really not that good IMO. shocks are ok but vengance fork felt "underpowered" like it didnt have very robust internals. see if you can test some though, they might be sweet for you

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019509
Mobile Version of Website