Powered by Outside

Plush and Durable DH Bike, Suggestions?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Plush and Durable DH Bike, Suggestions?
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 30, 2013 at 12:46 Quote
Warranty covers manufacturers defects, be it a flaw in the design causing stress to focus on one point and causing a fracture or poor quality of work causing a break at the weld. If it covered material fatigue then a bike company would not be able to survive because they would be replacing 12 year old frames all the time.

You dont complain about the 100 000 km warranty on vehicles do you? Same idea.

As far as your concern about maintenance; you are wanting to buy a high end dh frame, maintenance is huge. You can not be in this sport and get away without doing huge amounts of maintenance every season and keep well working equipment. But, then again, you are going to likely put a fork on the frame and only service it once a season and call it good, so I wouldn't worry about missing your service intervals.

O+
Posted: Mar 30, 2013 at 14:04 Quote
brakelessracing wrote:
ohklee wrote:
The V10 and the M9 use exactly the same virtual pivot suspension system. The Devinci Wilson will use a very similar system and also comes in both aluminum or carbon fiber. The only difference is that it uses a split pivot design to keep your suspension active when braking during those "holy shit" moments, which might come in handy depending how rusty you are. They also have a life-time warranty, so if you wanted to go carbon at least you know if it does happen to break, that you are covered. I don't think any brands are offering that on their full suspension bikes let alone carbon bikes. Must be durable. Below is the carbon version.
photo
carbon devinci wilson

That thing looks sexy... Any on-saddle experience? How it ride? What about maintenance?

I've only done a single run on an aluminum one (my busy races it all last year). It feels really good and neutral, not as snappy as I expected from a bike with the shorter chainstay length (by no means slow or lazy though), but its very stable, corners well, and has no issue in the rough. Pedaling is mediocre, but not bad. The thing I really noticed is just how neutral of a position it put you in.

Posted: Mar 31, 2013 at 1:51 Quote
Zerode G2 or V10 would be my recommendations. I have a V10, eats everything, stable, yet still easy enough to be thrown around a little. A really good bike for smashing out a lot of runs since it dosent fatigue you as much, the 2'' extra of cushion in the back really makes a difference at the end of the day in a park or when shuttling.

Havent ridden the Zerode but geo looks good now with the updated sizes, really forgiving suspension, low maintenace and a gearbox so no need to worry about rear mechs falling off etc.

Posted: Mar 31, 2013 at 6:00 Quote
ohklee wrote:
The V10 and the M9 use exactly the same virtual pivot suspension system. The Devinci Wilson will use a very similar system and also comes in both aluminum or carbon fiber. The only difference is that it uses a split pivot design to keep your suspension active when braking during those "holy shit" moments, which might come in handy depending how rusty you are. They also have a life-time warranty, so if you wanted to go carbon at least you know if it does happen to break, that you are covered. I don't think any brands are offering that on their full suspension bikes let alone carbon bikes. Must be durable. Below is the carbon version.

The lifetime warranty is pretty special, but the Wilson definitely isn't a virtual pivot bike. It's a single pivot with a floating brake. Nothing virtual about it.

I say Demo. You want stable, and active under braking, and fun/fast? It's got perfect angles and is very fast, plus it'll definitely be under 40lbs. The only thing to think about, if it bothers you, is you certainly won't stand out from the DH crowd much riding one...

Posted: Apr 1, 2013 at 10:28 Quote
I'll if I can find a wilson and give it a try

Anyone can find a review of the zerode g2? Really want to know how the new geo feels

As for demo, I read it's not that plush and stable at speed as say a v10. The geo seems agree with that. Am I right/wrong?

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2013 at 10:45 Quote
brakelessracing wrote:

Anyone can find a review of the zerode g2? Really want to know how the new geo feels

As for demo, I read it's not that plush and stable at speed as say a v10. The geo seems agree with that. Am I right/wrong?

Again, I've done one run on the new Demo. It was setup quite stiff and rode very well (felt a bit forward, but it worked with that bike). Although an amazingly capable race and general shred bike, it is by no means plush or plow like.

Posted: Apr 1, 2013 at 11:05 Quote
I highly doubt that you'd find a review of the new Zerode right after it has been released, as it's a niche frame in a niche market. One thing I will say is that contrary to the majority opinion, I'm not a fan of the Zerode. The wheelpath (very rearward, as I'm sure you know) adversely affects jumping performance, when I tried a Canfield Jedi I really had to hang off the back of the saddle in order to avoid pulling a scary nosedive every time I took off.

Well, the V10 has ten inches of rear travel, so no eight-inch bike is going to be as plush, the Demo included. The wheelbase of a V10 is actually shorter than the Demo, but the Demo's chainstays are 20mm shorter. I've always found people asking about 'stability at speed' a funny one, but maybe it's because I've never ridden a crappy DH bike. The V10's head angle is 65˚ compared to the Demo's 64˚ (though the SC will sit deeper in its travel, as there's more of it) and the Demo's BB is quite a lot lower. I've never heard anyone say a Demo is unstable, and after spending years on a Specialized SXT I'm a fan of FSR's consistency and neutrality at speed.

All I can really say is try'em and see. If you think you'll favour a bike with more than eight inches of travel, go for it.

O+
Posted: Apr 1, 2013 at 13:37 Quote
Another option to look at should be the morewood Maluku. It only has 8 inches of travel, but is designed around 40% sag. I owned the first gen Maluku and it was great, but could blow through its travel a bit easy.

They fixed the leverage ratio significantly on the newer generations, so the problem should be gone (though I have not ridden a newer generation). The bike was amazing and glued to the ground though.

Posted: Sep 4, 2013 at 11:54 Quote
brakelessracing wrote:

One will be out in the near future!

Posted: Sep 4, 2013 at 17:19 Quote
I love my demo8 the only and I mean ONLY compliant is the BB is low so if I'm not paying attention ill smash my pedals on little stuff. But my opinion is useless because I'm a fat bastard so pretty much everyone's bike I've ever ridden is far too soft and can't judge how it would handle with proper setup

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013408
Mobile Version of Website