Powered by Outside

Best entry level AM

• Next Page
Posted: Feb 11, 2014 at 8:23 Quote
Update. I was able to acquire 2008 Giant Reign (M) for $500. After taking it into the LBS to get it safe and all checked over ($150) I am ready to take it out for a ride this weekend. I hope to ride it for the summer and the hopefully have enough in the budget for a newer Trance next summer.

Posted: Feb 11, 2014 at 8:31 Quote
Nice one man! I have the 08 ReignX, and I've been working on it for about half a year. You'll love it, it rips up all the DH, and pedals really well. You can put a 7.875x2.25 shock instead of the stock 7.875x2.0 shock on there to make your reign have 6.7 inches of rear wheel travel I believe. The trance may be lighter, but honestly, keep the reign, learn as much as possible on it, and worry about upgrading to a new bike later, since the reign is extremely capable.

Posted: Feb 11, 2014 at 9:02 Quote
I too am looking into this type of purchase, I'm a short guy though, a small size with low standover is my big concern as there seem to be very few to no smalls used for sale out there. I currently have a nice hardtail but the terrain in the northeastern u.s. is just too rocky for this thing and it's time to part ways. the remedy was my front runner until I saw that the standover was 32" for a small. I have a good component set that I'm going to swap from the hardtail, and do a frame/fork up unless I find a steal on something else. so far it looks like a small frame banshee spitfire is taking the lead, I can swap everything over, low simple maintenance, and 27" standover. any thoughts?

Posted: Feb 11, 2014 at 9:05 Quote
thisguyalex wrote:
I too am looking into this type of purchase, I'm a short guy though, a small size with low standover is my big concern as there seem to be very few to no smalls used for sale out there. I currently have a nice hardtail but the terrain in the northeastern u.s. is just too rocky for this thing and it's time to part ways. the remedy was my front runner until I saw that the standover was 32" for a small. I have a good component set that I'm going to swap from the hardtail, and do a frame/fork up unless I find a steal on something else. so far it looks like a small frame banshee spitfire is taking the lead, I can swap everything over, low simple maintenance, and 27" standover. any thoughts?

The spitfire is a great bike, can't go wrong there. Certainly don't skimp on the suspension end though, on a bike that good, having low-end suspension can easily ruin the ride.

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 at 7:43 Quote
bought the ole spitfire, it's fox front and rear, can't wait til it get's here....going to swap on a few parts from my hardtail, then I get to ebay off the leftovers and stare at it until all this damn snow melts.

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 at 8:54 Quote
Sounds good man! Should be low maintenance except for the fork, depending on what you get it'll need a full tear down once a year plus fresh oil evey once in a while. And yeah, I'm waiting for this snow to melt out my way too, I haven't ridden in a month!

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 at 8:58 Quote
yeah I know about fox forks being high maintenance women, my last bike had a float on it, it it pissed me off so bad I swore I'd never go back. but I got such a good deal on this bike I can't complain, it has the 150 fit rlc kashima on it. and I must admit even having never needed maintenance mid sid team dual air rides like a brick even set up at 100mm

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 at 8:59 Quote
What was the issue with the Float?

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 at 9:02 Quote
seals all the time, leaks, oil and air, then right after a rebuild it started squeaking like and old mattress and a "worn" bushing cut a groove in on of the stanchions....all of this work was don by a local fox dealer.

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 at 9:04 Quote
Way too shady. No fork should have that many issues, and I'd boil a lot of it down to having a faulty fork, and then having a tool working on it. That's too bad.

Hope you like the 150 though, pretty cool fork.

Posted: Feb 16, 2014 at 9:06 Quote
so do I I spent my "allowance" for toys for the next 6 mos. or so on that bike.....going to steal a few bits off the hardtail, and part out the rest of it.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014551
Mobile Version of Website