First impressions of Monarch Plus on Trek Slash?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
First impressions of Monarch Plus on Trek Slash?
Posted: Jan 18, 2015 at 12:15 Quote
Right so after about 3 hours solid riding at swinley forest today it's safe to say the monarch plus is infinitely better than the drcv
first of all it tracks the ground so much better, there's less bouncing around on top of the saddle when pedalling seated so you stay planted on the saddle which is sooooo much more comfortable for longer rides.
The 3 position switch is a lot more sensible than on the drcv too; the middle setting is more suited for all round riding and the firmest setting is actually usable (I found the fox locked out the shock far too much in the climb setting) and whlie it's still supple there is minimal bob, in all settings. I found myself in open setting for a lot of the flat pedally sections and didn't feel like I was losing power at all.
For descents it's also better. I found the drcv pretty good for eating up rough stuff but it seemed to get overwhelmed with successive hits and would pack up. The monarch plus just keeps coming back and feels endless. I had a 2014 vivid air r2c on my old Scott voltage fr and to be honest it feels like a more usable, scaled down version of that, which is brilliant for me.

FL
Posted: Feb 19, 2015 at 3:31 Quote
Little help

Does anyone knows where i can buy the bushings kits for the monarch plus RC3 in Europe?

I´m having quite a difficult time to be able to mount this shock on my trek slash 2013

thanks for all the help

FL
Posted: Feb 19, 2015 at 4:00 Quote
First ride right out of the box was amazing and the shock wasn't even dialed in. Now that I have a ridden on it more and have it dialed in it is fantastic. I weigh 185 lbs and with the shock switch on firm 30% sag it is at 230psi. Now this shock isn't like the other shocks with lock out it is simply firm/medium and soft compression that's all. Pedal bob is not a major issue although there is some but this shock was made for the down. tracks like a mofo!

To mount this to my slash 7 650B 2014 I only had to purchase the 10x40mm bushing kit that goes on the upper mount and when you order the shock for the Trek it comes with two 8x40mm bushing sets, you will end up using only one of them on the lower and on the upper you will need this bushing kit 11.4115.012.620 i got mine from here http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=19939 it is the last one on the page, they are currently out of stock, they were the only ones that had it in the USA other then Europe they are all over.

You will also re-use the spacers that are in between the DRVC and the EVO link, to fill the gap on the new 10x40mm bushing you put on the upper eyelet. This will make the shock drop right in then the new 10mm bolt that will go through and tighten the top I re-used the lower bolt off the current shock.

Call rock shock and see if they can graciously mail you the upper bolt needed. If not then call Trek and they will sell you one or send you one, there is maybe $30.00 in bolts and bushings needed to make the monarchr plus rc3 work on the older slash's. But having upgraded my front fork to the new 160mm pike RC3 and the Monarch plus RC3 the bike has come to life and is much smoother on the decent.

Hope this helps you out.

Sevan[/Quote]

Ok, after a posted my question i found the bushings.

So, i own a 2013 slash 7, considering your comment i just need 2 bushing kits right?
The 10x40mm bushing kit and the 8x40mm bushing sets?

thanks

Posted: Feb 19, 2015 at 10:01 Quote
Yes that's right you need both sets

Posted: Feb 19, 2015 at 21:02 Quote
electricfrancis wrote:
First ride right out of the box was amazing and the shock wasn't even dialed in. Now that I have a ridden on it more and have it dialed in it is fantastic. I weigh 185 lbs and with the shock switch on firm 30% sag it is at 230psi. Now this shock isn't like the other shocks with lock out it is simply firm/medium and soft compression that's all. Pedal bob is not a major issue although there is some but this shock was made for the down. tracks like a mofo!

To mount this to my slash 7 650B 2014 I only had to purchase the 10x40mm bushing kit that goes on the upper mount and when you order the shock for the Trek it comes with two 8x40mm bushing sets, you will end up using only one of them on the lower and on the upper you will need this bushing kit 11.4115.012.620 i got mine from here http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=19939 it is the last one on the page, they are currently out of stock, they were the only ones that had it in the USA other then Europe they are all over.

You will also re-use the spacers that are in between the DRVC and the EVO link, to fill the gap on the new 10x40mm bushing you put on the upper eyelet. This will make the shock drop right in then the new 10mm bolt that will go through and tighten the top I re-used the lower bolt off the current shock.

Call rock shock and see if they can graciously mail you the upper bolt needed. If not then call Trek and they will sell you one or send you one, there is maybe $30.00 in bolts and bushings needed to make the monarchr plus rc3 work on the older slash's. But having upgraded my front fork to the new 160mm pike RC3 and the Monarch plus RC3 the bike has come to life and is much smoother on the decent.

Hope this helps you out.

Sevan

Ok, after a posted my question i found the bushings.

So, i own a 2013 slash 7, considering your comment i just need 2 bushing kits right?
The 10x40mm bushing kit and the 8x40mm bushing sets?

thanks[/Quote]

The Shock should come with two 8mm bushing kits which you will only use one of them, but you will only need to get the 10x40 and the new upper bolt. But my friend just purchased the same shock and he said it came with the bushing and bolt ready to go. Don't know what it would be like for EU.

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 at 3:51 Quote
Depends on your box I think, they're all supposed to come with both bushings and the upper bolt but mine only came with bushings, I think the mounting bolt is just out of stock in eu so they're not shipping them in the boxes anymore
same applies for the lower bushes I think

Posted: Feb 22, 2015 at 4:18 Quote
Hi Guys,

Jeron from Offset Bushings here.

We can machine both 40x10mm bushings and 40x8mm bushings - any size in fact!

We ship world wide and are based in the UK. Price is £10 GBP each. So if anyone needs bushings for their new shocks we can certainly sort you out.

We produce standard centre drilled hardware along with offset, the choice is yours!

You can find us at www.offsetbushings.com

Cheers!

FL
Posted: Mar 5, 2015 at 3:54 Quote
Ok, so my shock came without the upper bolt and bushings.
After a few emails, the store sent to me the bushings but not the upper bolt!!!!! And now they´re not replying my emails.

So, again a little help please - where can i find the upper bolt, or may you say the measures of it, maybe i can make one.

thanks for the help

Posted: Mar 6, 2015 at 11:50 Quote
basically you need an m10 stainless (or ti) partially threaded bolt at exactly 75mm, with around 10-15mm of thread at the end. then just 2 10mm aluminium washers and a nylock nut to go on the end, thats it

FL
Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 10:16 Quote
Here it goes finally is assembled

pics oh you it is
photo

photo

photo

photo

thanks for all the help

Posted: Mar 29, 2015 at 13:37 Quote
You're welcome glad it turned out ok for you, and nice bike!

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 0:28 Quote
Hey,

So am I right if I say that there doesn´t exist an original black upper bolt to fit the RS Debonair to my Trek Slash 9 from 2012?
I need to buy a m10 bolt with 75mm length in a hardware store?
Thanks for any help.

Posted: Apr 9, 2015 at 9:47 Quote
If you can find one then chances are there aren't any, yes its a partially threaded m10, 75mm with 10-15mm thread at the end

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023432
Mobile Version of Website