Transition patrol, kona process, or giant reign

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Transition patrol, kona process, or giant reign
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 1:38 Quote
tried all bought the patrol, no regrets i ride dh at the pass and free ride mostly and love how playful the bike is! the reign was nice but not playful enough for me!

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 13:42 Quote
ginow wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
ginow wrote:
I’m stuck between the same 3 bikes. Have you made a decision? Did you get to try them all? What can you say about them? About climbing, DH riding and the suspension?

I've ridden all 3. The Patrol and the Process have a similar feeling from the rear end. I'd say that the Patrol climbed and pedaled better. But I preferred the headangle on the Process.

I hated the Reign as I don't like that super soft feeling it has from the rear suspension. It's super plush and smooth but I thought it was pretty crap on the climbs. It also couldn't pump the trail at all.

Between the Process and Patrol

How did you feel the difference on the seat tube angle and top tube length ?
Process... 74 deg... 601 mm
Patrol... 75.4 deg... 583 mm

And what do you mean you like better the head tube angle since the Process 66.5 deg and the Patrol 65 deg ?

Did the head tube angle feel slacker on the Patrol o did the whole geometry feel better in the Process?

Don't necessarily trust those seat angle numbers. It's an estimate as seat height is variable and doesn't intersect with bottom bracket. On my last two size large bikes (same brand) at identical seat heights the "slacker" frame measured steeper, and by quite a bit.

I narrowed my selection down to the same 3 bikes. I decided on the Reign. For a few reasons, but mostly because of the adjustable travel fork for climbing.

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 21:27 Quote
I have a 2013 Process and I love it. Climbs well enough and descends like a bat out of hell. I'm sure they've improved it in the past couple years and made it even better. Although I do love the look of the Patrol.

Posted: Jul 2, 2016 at 9:28 Quote
Am I the only one who sees this thread is over a year old?

Posted: Jul 2, 2016 at 16:31 Quote
Bushamster21 wrote:
Am I the only one who sees this thread is over a year old?

Someone else could read it and get help from it.

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 at 20:13 Quote
I'm choosing between the same three bikes this 2017 spring. The input above was helpful but the bikes have changed a bit since this forum began. I'm curious about opinions on the 2017 Patrol 4($3100), Process 153($3300), and Reign 2($2900).

I have test rode the patrol and process, but the lbs only has the Reign SX in stock, so I can't completely compare the three bikes. The Reign SX has a slacker headtube and seattube as well as a coil shock and 170mm fork, so this Reign won't ride quite like the Reign 2.

I am currently a Reign 2006 owner and personally love the bike and may be biased toward a new Reign. Is my bias steering me away from a sweeter bike?

I mostly ride 10-20 mile trails but occasionally hit the local bike park. I can ride trails smoothly and fluidly, but also like to hit the bigger features.

Any feedback is appreciated. What bike would you ride?

Posted: Mar 10, 2017 at 10:03 Quote
I had a 2015 reign for a season. It was really plush on the descents and could really rail some turns. I definitely enjoyed the maestro rear suspension I was not a big fan of how it climbed. I really had to manhandle it going up switchbacks and the front wheel lifted quite easily and it was uncomfortable to stand and pedal on, just couldn't get over the front end. I was hoping it would pedal around xc trails ok but it was not good for that either, imo.

Posted: Feb 6, 2018 at 13:51 Quote
Wrote a review on the 2017 Reign 2:

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/ebum1127/blog/2017-giant-reign-2-review.html

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016876
Mobile Version of Website