29er Tire Choices

PB Forum :: 29ers
29er Tire Choices
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 29, 2017 at 2:24 Quote
mbrown wrote:
2014 E29 here. Currently on a Spec Butcher Control front and worn High Roller II out back, both 2.3 wide.

I'll be moving to wider rims soon (29mm internal vs 23mm internal) and am planning to run a 2.5 Minion DHF up front, but unsure of what to look at for a slightly wider rear tire. Any suggestions? Ardent 2.4?

I use a Dhf 2.3 on the rear but I think a DHR2 2.4 would work well.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 11:44 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
mbrown wrote:
2014 E29 here. Currently on a Spec Butcher Control front and worn High Roller II out back, both 2.3 wide.

I'll be moving to wider rims soon (29mm internal vs 23mm internal) and am planning to run a 2.5 Minion DHF up front, but unsure of what to look at for a slightly wider rear tire. Any suggestions? Ardent 2.4?

Ive gone with a DHR2 2.4" WT for the rear. A little rounded with my current 23mm rims but not too bad. Very happy with the performance so far. Should be perfect after the move to wider rims.

Posted: Aug 8, 2017 at 15:02 Quote
mbrown wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
mbrown wrote:

Ive gone with a DHR2 2.4" WT for the rear. A little rounded with my current 23mm rims but not too bad. Very happy with the performance so far. Should be perfect after the move to wider rims.

I've been struggling with wet roots lately. Thinking of getting 2.4 Dhr 2 front and rear with the 3c front and dual compound rear to retain some rolling speed.

My current Magic Mary Trailstar Super Gravity just isn't very good on wet rocks and roots. Possibly because I've previously been riding the vertstar version in 27.5 and it's about the only tyre I've had the sticks to wet roots.

I'll add it's near the end of winter here and the roots haven't been dry in a few months so they are covered in slime giving them no grip.

O+
Posted: Sep 3, 2017 at 11:30 Quote
3C is what helps with wet roots and slick stuff.

Posted: Sep 3, 2017 at 14:23 Quote
Cerberus75 wrote:
3C is what helps with wet roots and slick stuff.
Yes I've got one on the front now and it's awesome on wet roots.

Posted: Sep 11, 2017 at 20:06 Quote
Well I threw on a DHF MaxxTerra 3C Exo 2.5WT up front to match the DHR II rear and damn, what a tire setup!! Confidence inspiring to say the least

Even on my narrowish rims the big rubbers are flat out awesome. I can run ~25 PSI tubeless with no squirming or burping (keep in mind I'm 235lbs ready to ride). The DHF rolls noticeably slower than the super thin sidewalled Butcher I had on the front before but I have pounds to lose so the extra pedalling effort goes to good use.

Posted: Sep 11, 2017 at 20:53 Quote
mbrown wrote:
Well I threw on a DHF MaxxTerra 3C Exo 2.5WT up front to match the DHR II rear and damn, what a tire setup!! Confidence inspiring to say the least

Even on my narrowish rims the big rubbers are flat out awesome. I can run ~25 PSI tubeless with no squirming or burping (keep in mind I'm 235lbs ready to ride). The DHF rolls noticeably slower than the super thin sidewalled Butcher I had on the front before but I have pounds to lose so the extra pedalling effort goes to good use.

Nice. I've still got mine on the front and it does pretty well. Much better than the HillBilly or Magic Mary Trailstar that I had on previously. I've got it on a 25mm internal width rim and run it at 24psi (200lb) but it's the wet season here so this psi will be higher when it gets dryer.

For the rear this summer I'm going to try out the 2.4 Ardent, 2.4 DHR2 and 2.5 Minion DHF all in the dual compound versions.

I've also got a suspicion that the Maxxterra 2.4 dhr2 would be an excellent front tyre for wet conditions and maybe in the dry too, so that will likely be the next one I try on the front once my Dhf wears out.

O+
Posted: Oct 7, 2017 at 17:38 Quote
I'm on Panaracer Fire Pro 29ers front and rear. Super grippy and much faster than they look like they'd be! They are also pretty light compared to a lot of other tires in the same category.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.023374
Mobile Version of Website