Powered by Outside

Trying to learn to jump in my late 30s

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Trying to learn to jump in my late 30s
  • Next Page
Posted: Sep 23, 2015 at 20:42 Quote
Maybe your putting to much weight on the front end coming onto the lip of the jump. Stay centered absorb the g-out through your pedals not your bars. I've never had the problem your having but I tend to absorb steep jump takeoffs.
Make sure as you ride up the jump your smoothly leading with your eye sight and letting your body follow in a fluid motion.

Posted: Sep 24, 2015 at 3:08 Quote
What do you mean by "Crossed"?

Posted: Sep 24, 2015 at 4:35 Quote
gdnorm wrote:
So I keep getting my front end a little (too a lot) crossed during/right after take off. It has put me down hard a few times. Good thing I'm not to proud to wear pads. What am I doing wrong?

DP

gdnorm.... are you pulling up on the bars when you take off from the lip by any chance? When I first started throwing myself off bigger stuff (I say bigger, but what I actually mean is 3 ft or so) I was too scared of the front dropping and was "hucking" off the lips/kickers and the exact same thing happened to me as you describe - the front would either twist/turn the bars or I would go off at an angle. I found my problem was that I was always going the same way and that was always to my stronger side! I have since found out that I was pulling up too hard on the bars and my stonger side pulled more than the weaker side.

I have since learnt, from getting hints and tips from friends who have ridden longer than me and rather than pull the bars I hop with my full body, as others have said in a bunnyhop manner.

Posted: Sep 24, 2015 at 7:02 Quote
desman75 wrote:

gdnorm.... are you pulling up on the bars when you take off from the lip by any chance? When I first started throwing myself off bigger stuff (I say bigger, but what I actually mean is 3 ft or so) I was too scared of the front dropping and was "hucking" off the lips/kickers and the exact same thing happened to me as you describe - the front would either twist/turn the bars or I would go off at an angle. I found my problem was that I was always going the same way and that was always to my stronger side! I have since found out that I was pulling up too hard on the bars and my stonger side pulled more than the weaker side.

I have since learnt, from getting hints and tips from friends who have ridden longer than me and rather than pull the bars I hop with my full body, as others have said in a bunnyhop manner.

That sounds about right. Looks like I'll be bunny hopping in the driveway after work at least a few nights a week after work. Gonna get some funny looks from the neighbors. Thanks for the input.

DP

Posted: Dec 7, 2015 at 10:26 Quote
landing front wheel first on the transition helps with control. Your motion should look like a rainbow, unless you're bmx racing and basically hovering over tables.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012581
Mobile Version of Website