Hightower with 150mm fork and 29" wheels

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Hightower with 150mm fork and 29" wheels
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 26, 2017 at 20:51 Quote
i am just slightly taller. i could have bought the XL and it would have been fine. The XXL seemed to fit great and i have no regrets in getting itSmile

Posted: Oct 28, 2017 at 7:13 Quote
I only run 29” wheels on mine. I am 6’2.5”-6’3” depending on my posture that week, super happy with my XL and wouldnt want to go up. I have run all suspension foremats 140,150,160 in front high and low and 135,150 rear. Deff slightly higher chance of pedal strikes in low 135 but by far my prefered setting as the bike really comes alive and sits much better in the corners, very snappy and confidence inspiring. As far as fork goes on the plus side they now sell it with a fox 36 which is what I have so switching travel is about a 10 min process. It climbs increadibly well on 140 or 150 but is not as planted in 160 on really steep tech sections. So I almost always run it 150 front and 135 rear on the low setting which is fantastic for pretty much everything. I will only bump it up for lift service days.

Posted: Nov 12, 2017 at 9:47 Quote
This is the numbers I got from the geometry calculator at bikegeo.muha.cc.

It´s for a 150mm fork (RS Lyrik) with 562mm axle-to-crown. Only did calculations on the size L.

photo

photo

Posted: Dec 4, 2017 at 7:13 Quote
I bought the plus model just to get the 150mm fork and got a set of 29" hoops to be able to swap. Well, 29er wheels are probably going to stay. The bike just plows and wanted it just a hair slacker anyway.

Honestly, I should've just went with a frame and built the damn thing since I've swapped everything out anyway... including the fork that I had to have at 150mm.

On the flip side, I had almost all of the parts to build another bike (which I did for my son). So, kinda worked out I guess. But, I'll be going with a frame and spec'ing my own parts out from now on.

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 6:38 Quote
Hi Guys,
Sorry to drag up on old thread.

i run my Hightower with 160mm Fox 36's (non LT version) just wondered if anyone had any view on what was a better set up in general. As in would i be better dropping my forks to 150mm? Or alternatively has anyone run offset bushes with a 160mm fork to help lower the BB a little more and slacked the head angle further?

Whilst i love the Hightower its not quite hitting the spot for me and i cant pin point why.

Thanks

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 7:15 Quote
Russyh wrote:
Hi Guys,
Sorry to drag up on old thread.

i run my Hightower with 160mm Fox 36's (non LT version) just wondered if anyone had any view on what was a better set up in general. As in would i be better dropping my forks to 150mm? Or alternatively has anyone run offset bushes with a 160mm fork to help lower the BB a little more and slacked the head angle further?

Whilst i love the Hightower its not quite hitting the spot for me and i cant pin point why.

Thanks
I think the offset bushings would make it even worse. I ran a 160 on mine and it never felt right either. Would lower the fork to 150 to help. With the 160 you threw the geometry out of wack. SC has a slack seat tube angle already and you made it even more slack because you raised the front end up almost an inch. If you need a 160 then just get an LT, thats what i did

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 7:21 Quote
Thing is slackening the seat tube is only going to really effect the climbing no? Which its still fine with. I rode the bike originally with 140 forks and didnt like it. Wanted a slacker front end, which obviously i achieved with the 160 forks. I think dropping them down to 150 wold make the bike feel a little more alive. But will steepen the head angle again, albeit by a negilagable amount.

Im not going to blow any more money on an LT currently until i can get my current HT handling how i want it.

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 7:29 Quote
Russyh wrote:
Thing is slackening the seat tube is only going to really effect the climbing no? Which its still fine with. I rode the bike originally with 140 forks and didnt like it. Wanted a slacker front end, which obviously i achieved with the 160 forks. I think dropping them down to 150 wold make the bike feel a little more alive. But will steepen the head angle again, albeit by a negilagable amount.

Im not going to blow any more money on an LT currently until i can get my current HT handling how i want it.

Yeah but again you still raised the front end up almost an inch so unless you slammed your stem and bars against the headset then tilted your seat down to compensate that, your geometry is still way off from how the bike should feel. I personally thought 160 was too much, and the LT wasnt an option because it wasnt out. Sold the normal for the LT this year and wouldnt go back

Posted: Jun 15, 2018 at 7:39 Quote
Yeah, Stem is slammed. I think i made a mistake going all the way to 160 the bike is just unbalanced i think.

I will book the forks in for a travel, service and Luftkappe service and give that a go! Hope that the Luftkappe upgrade for Fox 36's improves the small bump compliance as well which would then give more confidence in the front end.

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 1:14 Quote
nacnac3 wrote:
Hey all.

I'm interested in the SC Hightower but as I understand it, if you purchase the 27.5+ set up you get a 150mm for but in the 29'er set up you get 140mm. Has anybody ever run 29" wheels with the 150mm fork? Am I right in thinking that it would make the head tube angle even more slack?

I read a review somewhere that said that this was actually the preferred set up at the factory??

EDIT: Here's the review - http://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/full-suspension/product/review-santa-cruz-santa-cruz-hightower-50132/

Here's the comment - I would have preferred that Santa Cruz just sold the Hightower with a 150mm fork. Not only would this have made the 27.5+ conversion easier, it’s also the preferred setup of many Santa Cruz employees

Thanks for the help!

Posted: Oct 4, 2018 at 1:15 Quote
i actually contacted SC directly about this and they replied that its fine and even reccommended using it in the high setting

Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 21:10 Quote
santacruzbronson wrote:
i actually contacted SC directly about this and they replied that its fine and even reccommended using it in the high setting
FYI
I built my hightower from frame up with a 29er pike 150 fork- improved the bike. I then pushed the pike to 160mm, but seems less balanced. I moved to 29" carbon wheels - which was the only upgrade that seemed to develop any noticable lifting of front tire on climbs. Went with 157mm shock instead of 151mm to bump it up closer to 150mm rear travel, no real diff. That I notice.
I would recommend staying with 27.5 plus if given the choice, just like the plus feel more.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015489
Mobile Version of Website