Powered by Outside

2017 Kona Process 153 vs 2017 Transition Patrol vs 2017 Santa Cruz Bronson

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2017 Kona Process 153 vs 2017 Transition Patrol vs 2017 Santa Cruz Bronson
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 5, 2017 at 20:27 Quote
lukeoct8 wrote:
Hahaha all three of the bikes very close again after the last 3 posts. I guess it will really come down to demo-ing and getting a good feel of the bike. They're just all too similar on paper and in personal comments.

I've got a few viewpoints not yet brought up. The Carbon C Bronson is quite good value compared to the alloy. It's not really worth not paying the extra $ to get the carbon because the pricing is so close in my opinion.

I've got a '17 alloy Patrol and have previously owned '16 and '15 versions also. The Lyric and Super Deluxe are pretty awesome performers. I run mine with a one degree angleset at 66 degrees which matches the Bronson, I never really could gel with the bike at 65degrees. I would probably say that I prefer extra agility over the extra stability.

The sizing is very different between the Patrol and the Bronson, such as that if you're in between sizes on one bike the other bike should fit you perfectly.

The Bronson is the only other bike that I would consider owning other than my Patrol considering geometry and ride quality. The Lyrik and Super Deluxe are what keeps me on the Patrol. However, the slightly longer chainstays on the Bronson do appeal along with the slightly different sizing.

Posted: Feb 20, 2017 at 17:02 Quote
So as many people have commented, it's subjective... so let me frame this question specifically:

Between the '17 Process 153, and the '17 Transition Patrol:

Which bike feels more at home downhill, is the most planted, the most confident, which shrugs off big hits the best, lands weird drops better, forgives more mistakes, feels more intuitive.... so ignoring pedaling, climbing, and XC type stuff.... which is the better freight train? In your humble opinions.

O+
Posted: Mar 5, 2017 at 21:35 Quote
sham8723 wrote:
So as many people have commented, it's subjective... so let me frame this question specifically:

Between the '17 Process 153, and the '17 Transition Patrol:

Which bike feels more at home downhill, is the most planted, the most confident, which shrugs off big hits the best, lands weird drops better, forgives more mistakes, feels more intuitive.... so ignoring pedaling, climbing, and XC type stuff.... which is the better freight train? In your humble opinions.

Good point, I would be very interested in these sometimes overseen factors as well. It's still pretty chilly in New England so I have a couple months until any demos of any bike are ready.

O+
Posted: Mar 11, 2017 at 14:12 Quote
I'm going to add the YT Jeffsy AL to this list as well just to make things even more confusing.

Posted: Mar 12, 2017 at 7:14 Quote
I have a 2016 153DL. First ride on it I set all new PRs for the downhill trail sections - super confidence inspiring, mistakes and bad lines didn't seem to matter. The faster you go the better. Tires are Minion 2.5/2.3 front/rear so downhill focused.

As for climbing I had a few 2nd and 3rd best climb times - my best climb times were set on a 100mm lightweight XC bike so I was surprised to be in that ballpark on the 153.

The 2017 Process line has slacker HT angle and longer reach - so even more downhill oriented.

I haven't ridden the other two bikes so can't compare but I was trying to make a similar decision between the 153 and the Patrol and went with the Kona since I could get it for significantly less than the Patrol at the time.

Posted: Sep 21, 2017 at 21:55 Quote
This is an old post I know and probably no one will read it, heck! I can run around naked and no one would see me but I'm excited and I'll tell you why.
On its way from Bellingham Washington is my second Transition Patrol but this time in Carbon! I've been on the Alu for two years and I can't stop raving about it, it climbs it descends and it flies through the air wonderfully but the carbon version destroys! I've thrown a leg over the 153 the Bronson and the Pivot and the Tranny is just more fun. The 153 is a slayer on the downs but so is the Patrol but the Process has a weight problem and it's climbing ability suffers a bit. The Bronson is very peppy and can be built tough for the downs but it's no Process or Patrol either.
Considering you might have already chosen your new steed by now I hope you're enjoying it but inside I hope you got the Patrol.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014640
Mobile Version of Website