Powered by Outside

Brake Upgrade needed

PB Forum :: Downhill
Brake Upgrade needed
  • Next Page
O+ FL
Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 7:31 Quote
to keep cost down I'm going to reluctantly try the Saints.... if I don't like them after bedding them in they will more then likely be up for sale.

Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 7:53 Quote
Don't know how much you're paying for a set of Saints, but I'm pretty sure there must be something else cheaper and at least as good for reliability ...

In Europe, the Magura MT5 go for about 170€ for the pair (without rotors). And they pack some serious punch. Should be around 200USD?

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 11, 2017 at 8:49 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
Don't know how much you're paying for a set of Saints, but I'm pretty sure there must be something else cheaper and at least as good for reliability ...

In Europe, the Magura MT5 go for about 170€ for the pair (without rotors). And they pack some serious punch. Should be around 200USD?

I'm seeing what my old boss / owner at the bike shop can do for me 1st

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 14, 2017 at 17:23 Quote
the guy on here I'm trying to buy a pair of Saints from hasn't been very quick with replies. So just to recap the generic difference between how the Saints and V4's feel...
- V4's; more progressive
- Saints: are like a light switch

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 11:14 Quote
I've run Zees, Saints and V4s back to back, and there's no way you'd ever get me to choose the current gen Shimano gravity brakes over the V4s. Worth the extra money, dude. Next to suspension, good brakes are one of the most important factors for a gravity oriented bike.

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 12:09 Quote
Having had Saints, XTR, XT, & SLX, I have had to do the same trick mentioned earlier in the thread by pumping the lever to get a good feel out of them all, but after they all worked flawlessly for me.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 12:14 Quote
I do like being able to slow down fast and stop for sure

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 15:28 Quote
how about maintenance? I know they both require it but is there one that requires less frequent maintenance?

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 16:39 Quote
I'm not sure, I service mine during the winter months but I don't get to ride as much as I use to. I don't have really any hours on the saints but the slx have worked well for me on long descends at low speeds hauling my child in a rear seat. The bikes these are on are very different with different rotor sizes, so I'm sure the saints are going to blow the slx away but they are on the bike that I'm going to use to go flying down the hills we call mountains around here and probably won't get used as much, lol.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 17:18 Quote
speshiz wrote:
I'm not sure, I service mine during the winter months but I don't get to ride as much as I use to. I don't have really any hours on the saints but the slx have worked well for me on long descends at low speeds hauling my child in a rear seat. The bikes these are on are very different with different rotor sizes, so I'm sure the saints are going to blow the slx away but they are on the bike that I'm going to use to go flying down the hills we call mountains around here and probably won't get used as much, lol.

sounds good. what mountains are around you? NY, PA, and VT have some good stuff for sure

Posted: Aug 15, 2017 at 17:43 Quote
shwinn8 wrote:
speshiz wrote:

sounds good. what mountains are around you? NY, PA, and VT have some good stuff for sure

I'm in MD, so I mainly ride in west MD & PA, there are some cool trails but nothing compared to what is out west, which is fine cuz I have to ride up to come back down.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013560
Mobile Version of Website