Powered by Outside

What is to Light?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What is to Light?
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 19:44 Quote
mini-logo-888 wrote:
31 pounds would FOR SURE have at least one questionable part on it....

unless you hacve like 10 000 bucks to spend on a bike

actually 6400 but it works out when i have 50% off from a lbs

FL
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 19:48 Quote
g10ry wrote:
aireeek wrote:
g10ry wrote:
ye but like will it be hard to keep on the ground cause its so light.

A lighter bike shouldn't be noticibly harder to keep on the ground, thats mostly relates to your strength and skill as a rider.

oh well you know me eric . ive got the skillWink

That is true! As a great man once said:

"Use the force Luke!"

Seriously though dude, if you are pimping your bike out so much, put some serious consideration into the geometry you are looking for and getting the right fit, the lightest bike isn't always the fastest. Sam Hills bike is 37 lbs according to the latest issue of dirt. I can guarantee there are a lot of guys out there with lighter bikes, and they can't touch him.

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 19:50 Quote
aireeek wrote:
g10ry wrote:
aireeek wrote:

A lighter bike shouldn't be noticibly harder to keep on the ground, thats mostly relates to your strength and skill as a rider.

"Use the force Luke!"

Seriously though dude, if you are pimping your bike out so much, put some serious consideration into the geometry you are looking for and getting the right fit, the lightest bike isn't always the fastest. Sam Hills bike is 37 lbs according to the latest issue of dirt. I can guarantee there are a lot of guys out there with lighter bikes, and they can't touch him.

ye for sure weight will help atleast for me as im not the biggest guy. but its not that im pimping my bike out, i have to get a new one as my glory was stolen if i didnt already tell you

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 19:50 Quote
Have you decided on the final bike? spec? Not out to change your mind on parts, just curious.

Especially after the 27 pound Gemini guy last fall.

FL
Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 19:52 Quote
g10ry wrote:
aireeek wrote:
g10ry wrote:

"Use the force Luke!"

ye for sure weight will help atleast for me as im not the biggest guy. but its not that im pimping my bike out, i have to get a new one as my glory was stolen if i didnt already tell you

I didn't hear about that, that sucks. I take it you got insurance $$$ though eh?

I'm curious, what are you thinking of for frame and parts?

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 19:53 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
Have you decided on the final bike? spec? Not out to change your mind on parts, just curious.

lol what happend with the 27 pound gemini guy last fall? and as for final bike. its between demo 8 II, and the v10 mostly. as i can get them for a great price with any parts i want on them, but i can get the demo for about 2000 cheaper

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 19:54 Quote
g10ry wrote:
Wilson4 wrote:

lol what happend with the 27 pound gemini guy last fall? and as for final bike. its between demo 8 II, and the v10 mostly. as i can get them for a great price with any parts i want on them, but i can get the demo for about 2000 cheaper

how the f*ck do you get the $$$$$$

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 19:55 Quote
work fool...demo 8 owns, IMO

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 19:55 Quote
I didn't hear about that, that sucks. I take it you got insurance $$$ though eh?

I'm curious, what are you thinking of for frame and parts?[/Quote]

yes they valued my glory at 6400. so now its between v10 and demo. i can get demo for about 50 % off. but only bout a grand off of a v10

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 19:56 Quote
mini-logo-888 wrote:
g10ry wrote:
Wilson4 wrote:

how the f*ck do you get the $$$$$$

my 6000 dollar glory got stolen so its insurance....

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 19:57 Quote
g10ry wrote:
Wilson4 wrote:

He got a lot of flack, wanted to add me on msn (a billion times), and had a full xc build. Doubt it would have lasted a run.

PART DESCRIPTION WEIGHT

FRAME 2003 Cannondale Gemini.............3000
R.SHOCK Rock Shox Monarch 4.2...............205
FORK Rock Shox Boxxer...................2980
HEADSET FSA Orbit MX.........................97
STEM Syntace F99 75mm.....................91
HANDLEBAR Easton Monkey lite XC 25.4x660......150
BRAKES Avid Juicy Ultimate.................690
SHIFTER Sram Double tap 10 speed............125
WHEELS Custom build.......................1408
TIRES IRC Trailbear 26x2.5...............1410
R.DER Sram Red............................153
CRANK FSA Afterburner hollow..............750
GUIDE E.Thirteen LG1......................195
BASH E.Thirteen Supercharger
PEDALS Xpedo MX-3 Force platform...........408
SEATPOST Pazazz SP-985 27.2x250mm............152
SEAT Selle Italia SLR Teknologika Flow....95
CASSETTE Sram Red 11-26......................160
CHAIN Sram Red 114links...................257

total in grams....................12316
total in pounds...................27.13

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 20:00 Quote
Wilson4 wrote:
g10ry wrote:
Wilson4 wrote:

He got a lot of flack, wanted to add me on msn (a billion times), and had a full xc build. Doubt it would have lasted a run.

PART DESCRIPTION WEIGHT

FRAME 2003 Cannondale Gemini.............3000
R.SHOCK Rock Shox Monarch 4.2...............205
FORK Rock Shox Boxxer...................2980
HEADSET FSA Orbit MX.........................97
STEM Syntace F99 75mm.....................91
HANDLEBAR Easton Monkey lite XC 25.4x660......150
BRAKES Avid Juicy Ultimate.................690
SHIFTER Sram Double tap 10 speed............125
WHEELS Custom build.......................1408
TIRES IRC Trailbear 26x2.5...............1410
R.DER Sram Red............................153
CRANK FSA Afterburner hollow..............750
GUIDE E.Thirteen LG1......................195
BASH E.Thirteen Supercharger
PEDALS Xpedo MX-3 Force platform...........408
SEATPOST Pazazz SP-985 27.2x250mm............152
SEAT Selle Italia SLR Teknologika Flow....95
CASSETTE Sram Red 11-26......................160
CHAIN Sram Red 114links...................257

total in grams....................12316
total in pounds...................27.13

now that guy sounds like a joke. the bike still has to work

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 20:01 Quote
What are your parts? I'm guessing you weighed yours out? I did the same it came up to 34.57 with actual being 36.1

Just something to keep in mind.

Edit: found his wheels:
wheels are dt hubs on sun rims with dt spokes
DT 190 ceramic rear hub
DT 240 2 Front hub
DT aero lite spokes
Sun UFO rims

Posted: Feb 15, 2008 at 20:05 Quote
so from what ive gathered its fine to have a light race bike as long as im not sacraficing to much stregth of the parts.

Posted: Feb 16, 2008 at 10:15 Quote
i think that the only difference is that rocks etc will kick it around easier, and it will happen much faster. if your ridding in the wind though id prefer to have heavier wheels/tyres to keep me stable in the air.

bottom line though if youve got the skills, then you should be quick enough and good enough to ride it.

if you put stevepeat on a carbon fibre uni cycle hed still beat most of us down a DH runBeer

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009342
Mobile Version of Website