Powered by Outside

Best tire

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 2:13 Quote
Another one for the dhf / aggressor combo.
Maybe dhr for looser Conditions or uplifts.
Tried rock razor before and it was good and tough but doesn't brake or roll as good as a aggressor. Surprisingly bad at rolling rock razors when you drop the pressure. Plus the cornering lugs fall off so doesn't last long

Posted: Jan 28, 2018 at 3:58 Quote
angelofverdun wrote:
Always keep the DHF on the front. My combos in order of favorites:
1) DHF front/aggressor rear - best all around. Aggressor is a good climber, good with braking, lighter than other maxxis options, fast rolled, very consistent in lay-over
2) DHF front/DHRII rear - Great traction and incredible braking power. So-so turning, heavier than aggressor, slower rolling
3) DHF front/DHF rear - Best cornering combo of all three here - it's hard to get this combo to break loose! Rolls faster than dhrii but not as fast as aggressor. Worst braking of the three.

I like this as well, with number 1 being what I use most of the year. I sometimes switch to a Minion Semi slick when it is very dry... It rolls super fast and corners well, but hopeless in mud...

For super wet and steep I put a shorty up front.

Posted: Jan 31, 2018 at 11:29 Quote
After a couple of rides on my new Aggressor 27.5x2.3, I like it better than the Mountain King 2.4.

Agressor has much better cornering, better climb/pedaling traction, slightly less stopping power, and possibly slightly more rolling resistance. Aggressor sidewalls seem stronger, but is a more narrow tire. More pros than cons though.

Still running my 3-4 year old German made Mountain King as front, the Maxxis was made in Taiwan.

The Aggressor was difficult to put on my Stan’s ZTR Flow EX rim, but popped on tubeless first try. Valve stem leaked some, but the sealant stopped the leak. I took off old Stan’s tape and used Gorilla tape with old valve stem. It was cold when I mounted the tire, so maybe that is why it didn’t want to go on.

Oh, and the Aggressor definitely throws up more dirt on my legs and bike, probably because the nobbies are tighter together. No mud runs yet, but I think the Mountain Kings would probably do better in mud.

Posted: Jan 31, 2018 at 12:17 Quote
Aggressor does throw a fair bit of dirt!

It is not the best mud tire out there, but it handles mud holes durring a wet ride fine I think.

Posted: Jan 31, 2018 at 13:45 Quote
I have Continental Trail king in 2.4 for front and rear in my enduro, very good grip enven on the angle, very good this summer in bike-park but it is less good at wet ground.
But on my hard-tail (On-One with 140 mm travel), i have the TrailKing for the front but MountainKing in 2.4 for rear, the wet grip is very good on roots and pebbles wet !

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2018 at 17:06 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
After a couple of rides on my new Aggressor 27.5x2.3, I like it better than the Mountain King 2.4.

Agressor has much better cornering, better climb/pedaling traction, slightly less stopping power, and possibly slightly more rolling resistance. Aggressor sidewalls seem stronger, but is a more narrow tire. More pros than cons though.

Still running my 3-4 year old German made Mountain King as front, the Maxxis was made in Taiwan.

The Aggressor was difficult to put on my Stan’s ZTR Flow EX rim, but popped on tubeless first try. Valve stem leaked some, but the sealant stopped the leak. I took off old Stan’s tape and used Gorilla tape with old valve stem. It was cold when I mounted the tire, so maybe that is why it didn’t want to go on.

Oh, and the Aggressor definitely throws up more dirt on my legs and bike, probably because the nobbies are tighter together. No mud runs yet, but I think the Mountain Kings would probably do better in mud.

What width are you running in the front? I'm considering a 2.3 Aggressor for the rear with a 2.5 DHF WT up front on the trail bike? Curious what the handling and ride characteristics are like with the different volumes or if it would even be noticeable.

Posted: Jan 31, 2018 at 20:55 Quote
iTunes DHF WT 2.5 front and aggressor DD 2,3 back on my Patrol and I love it.

I did feel a difference in grip going from 2.3 to 2.5.. but remember to lower your normal front pressure a bit.

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 4:37 Quote
I run 2.5 DHF front 2.4 High Roller 2 rear.

Works for me

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 5:58 Quote
I am running 2.4 MK front and 2.3 Aggressor rear. My RM Altitude could easily fit 2.6, and I would like wider tires, but rims are only 25.5 mm and not ready to buy new rims. I am running 20-22 psi front and 26-28 rear.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 19:03 Quote
Tried some eThirteen tires this fall and like them a lot. They were on 27mm internal width rims. Not sure how much they would square off on my 30.5 mm rims. Currently running Trail King 2.4 f/r and love them. Loved them on my last bike as well. Ride a combination of northeast and UT trails and they do well on both. Bike came with DHR 2 rear and DHF front and didn’t like the combo. The DHR was good in the corners and braking but felt like I was pedaling a load of brinks through sand. Didn’t like the DHF at all. Would lose its line while braking and could never get the feel for how/when it would break free. Trail Kings are very predictable and easy to control when they let go. The eThriteen simply wouldn’t let go. But I only used it for 2 runs while a friend was trying my bike.

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 at 21:54 Quote
At this moment I have Magic Mary Addix 29 '' on the front and back all Magic Mary Addix, this for the winter season. I prefer to have more traction on the rear wheel on climbing areas.
For the summer on the face I will put Magic Marry and on the back Onza Ibex.

Posted: Feb 2, 2018 at 9:11 Quote
the BEST traction: TRSR front , DHRII rear
very good traction and fast rolling: DHRII front, aggressor rear

the second is also a summer combo... the first mainly for winter (mud)

TRSR is better for me, than magic mary (single and SG)

Posted: Feb 3, 2018 at 20:09 Quote
I found minions bitd used to wash out up front on loose dusty trails but maybe cause I got sent a single ply 60a compound shitty versions from twat from dartmoor cycles. More than likely as when I tried newer versions on my slayer the super tacky ones, they were much better but draggy as carrying a cow behind

Contis imho are all shite except their very dated xc tyres.

Schwalbe are good but sidewalls are rizla thin.

Intense tyres too heavy but prove to be average okish.

Wtb seem alright and worthy of a looksee ime

Posted: Sep 1, 2019 at 7:36 Quote
For a very dry condition (forrest, but very dry) - what tires?
Minions seems to nit have enough tracktion...

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 1, 2019 at 7:49 Quote
jasminov wrote:
For a very dry condition (forrest, but very dry) - what tires?
Minions seems to nit have enough tracktion...

Assagai front, aggressor or dhr rear

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022662
Mobile Version of Website