Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

2019 Stumpjumper Coil Shock

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Coil Shock
FL
Posted: Nov 15, 2018 at 19:19 Quote
I know I'm kind of an outlier here but I have a 2017 Expert 29er with the proprietary mount. I as well want to avoid ohlins for cost and reliability reasons. The end goal is to just make the whole bike a little bit more enduro race capable.
Pretty much have 3 options,
1) Cane Creek DBIL coil with a bike yoke. Haven't heard or seen too many people running this.
2) Rock Shox monarch plus. in a 195x51mm length to get a little extra travel and a slacker HTA.(Clearance issues might occur)?
3) Ride the F**king bike the way it is and stop complaining.

Thanks for the input.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2018 at 21:33 Quote
@broken -> 2017 carbon 29 here. I tried the DBIL coil with a bike yoke and it didn’t work. For clearance i had to mount upside down but then the spring didn’t clear the frame so it was a no go. I was using a heavy ass spring tho that would have barely fit the shock. If you don’t need a massive spring and go with the proper length you may be okay. Also if yours is aluminum you should be ok as they have better clearance around the top mount than the carbon ones. It can be a frustrating and costly experiment though.

I’m happily running the Topaz for Stumpy with the stock linkage. Tho I probably should have gone with the Topaz 190x50 with my bike yoke to bump up rear travel to a “whopping” 141-142mm. I may still do this if I keep the bike much longer. The Topaz does not climb as well as say a Float DPS (which I’ve tried in 190x50) but the traction, support and control descending is awesome. Also, I’d go with a Topaz over a Monarch Plus any day of the week. Good luck!

FL
Posted: Nov 16, 2018 at 17:36 Quote
@Wastach, What size frame do you have? I am also on the carbon in a size medium. Thinking of a 450# spring. Is there any difference between the steel spring and the VUALT spring?

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2018 at 10:49 Quote
XL and it was a heavy gauge coil, at least 600# and a longer size too so it would have barely fit on the shock. So it could work with the proper length coil and a lighter weight spring.... who knows.

O+
Posted: Jan 30, 2019 at 15:57 Quote
jakewilkes wrote:
DVO, MRP, push?
Does anyone know what comes in 210x52.5mm other than cane creek?

Thanks in advance.

May be a little late to this thread. I've just gone for the DVO Topaz as it's one of the only shock I could find that did the correct size for a 2019 Stumpy. Plus Fox is really difficult to get hold of in Canada. If you go to their website they have both the Jade and Topaz in 210 x 52.5. I've not heard a bad thing about DVO so hoping for a great shock. The supplied DPS that came on the bike lasted 4 months before needing a rebuild.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 18:21 Quote
I recently installed a 210x55 Float X2 on my 2019 29er Stumpjumper without issue. It has the same eye-to-eye as stock so it doesn't screw with your geo and it gives the rear 153mm of travel by my measurement. When bottomed out the tire and linkage all clear the seat tube without a problem even in the slack setting (I'm running 29x2.6 Speci Eliminator tires) . and the bottle still fits. The shock is "custom" for the Ibis Ripmo but I love the way it feels on the Stumpy. Only trick is, you have to take air out of the shock so it compresses before you install it otherwise the air can will hit the frame and you won't be able to get it in. Just take the air out, install it and air it back up on the bike.
photo

photo

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 10:14 Quote
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with putting a coil on a 19 SJ to add a little bit of bb height.

Posted: Mar 24, 2019 at 3:46 Quote
James-95, have you had any issues with the shock setup as of yet? I'm looking at doing the same on my stumpy Evo 29

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
Following this. Curious as well on the X2 setup and how it works at 153mm of travel.

Posted: Mar 29, 2019 at 13:15 Quote
For anyone looking for the ohlins coil, go to your specialized dealer and have them contact ohlins / order you the shock.

That's what I did for my stumpy and it's sick

photo

photo

FL
Posted: Apr 2, 2019 at 3:49 Quote
xzyragon wrote:
For anyone looking for the ohlins coil, go to your specialized dealer and have them contact ohlins / order you the shock.

photo

photo

That is one of the best looking stumpys I have ever seen! What weight spring are you running? I’ve tried to calculate it and I keep getting really high or really low spring rates.

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 at 15:55 Quote
brokenspokephoto wrote:
xzyragon wrote:

photo

photo

That is one of the best looking stumpys I have ever seen! What weight spring are you running? I’ve tried to calculate it and I keep getting really high or really low spring rates.

All she needs is a gold chain and gold XX1 cassette and I'd be all matchy matchy.

And i don't know what weight spring i have off the top of my head. The guys at ohlins just plugged in my weight with the leverage calcs for this bike and sent me the shock. It's been working like a charm and I'm digging it.

Posted: Apr 12, 2019 at 18:43 Quote
This is my bike .. Its not finished yet . as will be invisiframed and the lettering will be covered as i got S-works decals coming for the sides .. will cover the specialized lettering with black AMS Honeycomb Frame Guard which will look good . S-Works will be in red . and Red S on the Top tube by the stem ..i have since put extra decals on the wheels .

summer will get a Ohlins coil shock and a anodized gold Ti-spring .

Also got a 150mm Fox Kashima post from off my Kenevo .

photo
photo
photo
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 8:33 Quote
james-95 wrote:
I recently installed a 210x55 Float X2 on my 2019 29er Stumpjumper without issue. It has the same eye-to-eye as stock so it doesn't screw with your geo and it gives the rear 153mm of travel by my measurement. When bottomed out the tire and linkage all clear the seat tube without a problem even in the slack setting (I'm running 29x2.6 Speci Eliminator tires) . and the bottle still fits. The shock is "custom" for the Ibis Ripmo but I love the way it feels on the Stumpy. Only trick is, you have to take air out of the shock so it compresses before you install it otherwise the air can will hit the frame and you won't be able to get it in. Just take the air out, install it and air it back up on the bike.
photo

photo

SiCK rig!!!

This is exactly what i want to do on my 2019 turbo Levo. Its a Medium. think it will fit? I also need 210x55 and want the X2 bad!

O+
Posted: May 21, 2019 at 12:15 Quote
i ride the 210x52 levo 2019 ohlins coil shock in my stumpj29 , the marzocchi coil shock mid mid tune works to with db spring.

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/17115648/

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020410
Mobile Version of Website