Rockshox Yari + Charger 2.1 damper = Lyrik ?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rockshox Yari + Charger 2.1 damper = Lyrik ?
O+
Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 6:22 Quote
You can get the Charger 2.1 RCT3 for around $300 Canadian, the RC2 is more.... and install it yourself in under 20 minutes.

I did find it worth it.

Check often for sales on sites like WorldWideCyclery

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
SeanF82 wrote:
Beecee336 wrote:
StumpHumper45 wrote:
Can we bring this thread back to life? I am on Giant Reign 29 2 with a 160mm Yari and am wondering about dropping $500 Canadian plus install on this upgrade... Is it night and day? On the Singletracks forum, a lot of people said you can only really feel the difference when pushing hard. My hands did start to give up a bit with the Yari at the 3-5 minute mark on the downs when it got rougher. Can you tune that out of the Yari or is that where you decide whether the $500 is worth it?

If you're looking at upgrading dampers in a yari/lyrik I strongly recommend the PUSH hyper charger damper. It's similar in price to the charger 2/2.1 but more tunable and I personally think it performs better.

The PUSH is only compatible with Charger 2/2.1 isn't it? Meaning you need to drop US250 on the Charger, then another US250 on the PUSH...
thats correct,starts to get expensive upgrading the damper,then installing the Push HC97.
I've got the Push in my ultimates,and it's night and day better than the standard damper though.

Posted: Jul 25, 2020 at 17:46 Quote
I found a used rc2 damper on the buy/sell and then put the push damper in that. Still a little pricey but it wasnt quite full retail at least.

Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 19:00 Quote
Can we bring this topic back? I bought a meta ht am with the yari on it and planning to upgrade to rc2.1 damper. Is it really good? Some says it would be like tge lyrik ultimate? Or just buy a 2nd hand fox 36 and just service it?

Posted: Apr 13, 2022 at 19:14 Quote
Garps38 wrote:
Can we bring this topic back? I bought a meta ht am with the yari on it and planning to upgrade to rc2.1 damper. Is it really good? Some says it would be like tge lyrik ultimate? Or just buy a 2nd hand fox 36 and just service it?

As far as I'm aware, there isn't an RC 2.1. Its either a Charger RC or a Charger 2.1. They are different dampers.

The RC is the low end version that is on Lyrik Select. Basically a 'fake' Charger.
The Charger 2.1 is used on the Select+ and the Ultimate has the Charger 2.1 RC2 version.

If you upgrde to the Charger 2.1, then yes, you are getting Lyrik damper performace in the Yari. But it will still be heavier (not a bad thing) becuase the Yari is made of different material than the Lyrik.

Posted: Apr 14, 2022 at 0:23 Quote
Garps38 wrote:

Is the stock damper that bad? Maybe I'm less sensitive to these things but I've found the motion control damper on my yari to be pretty good, miles better than the old version.

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2022 at 6:35 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Garps38 wrote:

Is the stock damper that bad? Maybe I'm less sensitive to these things but I've found the motion control damper on my yari to be pretty good, miles better than the old version.

It might be miles ahead of the old one, but man, my hands were beat up with the Yari on my 2020 Giant Reign 29 2, even with a compliant OneUp bar. Switching over to a new bike with a Fox 36 and GRIP2 was a game changer for comfort. If I would have kept the Reign, I definitely would have upgraded the damper or went to a 36.

Posted: Apr 14, 2022 at 12:14 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Garps38 wrote:

charger 2.1 is far better than the MoCo damper. your hands will notice the difference for sure

Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 12:12 Quote
Cpembo6 wrote:
Garps38 wrote:

As far as I'm aware, there isn't an RC 2.1. Its either a Charger RC or a Charger 2.1. They are different dampers.

The RC is the low end version that is on Lyrik Select. Basically a 'fake' Charger.
The Charger 2.1 is used on the Select+ and the Ultimate has the Charger 2.1 RC2 version.

If you upgrde to the Charger 2.1, then yes, you are getting Lyrik damper performace in the Yari. But it will still be heavier (not a bad thing) becuase the Yari is made of different material than the Lyrik.

Yeah sorry about that, what i mean is the charger 2.1 rc2. But now i am leaning towards the charger 2.1 rct3 vs a fox 36 with grip 1 damper. the price is kinda the same. the rct3 is like $300 and somebody is selling me a fox 36 float for $350. Which one do you think is more worth it? The fox 36 is 170mm 29er with the same offset that i have. But will a 27.5 plus tire fit the 29er? Because i was also planning to try out a mullet in the future.

Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 12:14 Quote
That is what i've noticed with mine. I used to have a fox 34 fit4 and with my yari my hands seems to be more tired.
Beecee336 wrote:
fielonator wrote:
Garps38 wrote:

charger 2.1 is far better than the MoCo damper. your hands will notice the difference for sure

Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 12:16 Quote
Beecee336 wrote:
fielonator wrote:
Garps38 wrote:

now i am leaning towards the charger 2.1 rct3 vs a fox 36 with grip 1 damper. the price is kinda the same. the rct3 is like $300 and somebody is selling me a fox 36 float for $350. Which one do you think is more worth it? The fox 36 is 170mm 29er with the same offset that i have. But will a 27.5 plus tire fit the 29er? Because i was also planning to try out a mullet in the future. Do you think it is more worth it to get the 36 with grip 1 damper or just go for the rct3 upgrade?

Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 12:22 Quote
Garps38 wrote:
Beecee336 wrote:
fielonator wrote:

now i am leaning towards the charger 2.1 rct3 vs a fox 36 with grip 1 damper. the price is kinda the same. the rct3 is like $300 and somebody is selling me a fox 36 float for $350. Which one do you think is more worth it? The fox 36 is 170mm 29er with the same offset that i have. But will a 27.5 plus tire fit the 29er? Because i was also planning to try out a mullet in the future. Do you think it is more worth it to get the 36 with grip 1 damper or just go for the rct3 upgrade?

Keep in mind the RCT3 has stiffer shim stack than the regular RC2.1. But it's cheaper.

Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 14:38 Quote
Telepatok wrote:
Garps38 wrote:
Beecee336 wrote:

Keep in mind the RCT3 has stiffer shim stack than the regular RC2.1. But it's cheaper.

oh ok. I thought they were the same just more adjustability on the rc2. so go for the f0x? hehe

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2022 at 15:00 Quote
Garps38 wrote:
Telepatok wrote:
Garps38 wrote:

oh ok. I thought they were the same just more adjustability on the rc2. so go for the f0x? hehe

GRIP 1 was not very forgiving in my experience. I'd go with a Charger Damper over Grip 1. GRIP2 is the best you can get though.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 12:33 Quote
i've upgraded the MC damper with charger1 rct3 (had it laying around) and boy is it night-and-day difference. It just happened that the 1st one fit my preferences just fine so stuck with it. You can notice it the most on rocky, slabby and rooty chunder, aka repetitive hits. As a reference, Fort williams DH track left my hands severely cramped with MC vs charger felt tired but fine with no severe armpump.
Charger also doesn't dive as much under braking. LSC range is tiny though, so it's hit-or-miss unless custome tune it. Not sure wether that was fixed on newer ones.

Hope that helps.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.222501
Mobile Version of Website