PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Mixing 2 pot brake lever with 4 pot caliper
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 3:25 Quote
sxy-slo wrote:
Lukas2306 wrote:
sxy-slo wrote:
sure. Levers are the same.

are they tho? I've been experimenting for some time with the combinations of 2pot SLX levers/calipers and Deore 4pot levers/calipers and the feeling is just weird.

I currently run 4pot Deore levers with 2 pot SLX calipers on the first bike and the feel is rock solid, I press the lever and have an instant bite.

On the second bike, 2pot SLX lever on 4pot Deore pot is even after very careful bleeding still mushy. Recently went for shiguras and slapped MT5 calipers with 2pot SLX levers together and even tho they are much stronger, the lever feeling is still a little bit mushy. It feels like the oil chamber/piston in the lever is not pushing enough oil to caliper and it needs to be compressed much closer to grip to get the full stop.

EDIT: Please don't ask why I run this combination, It is the outcome of some destroyed levers and personal preference.

Yes. Ive mixed 8100 xt lever with fore 4pot caliper on May wifes occam. Works exactly the same. Probably you stil have some air bubbles in your starem.

Could the issue be that the SLX levers I run are kinda ancient M675 ones?

Posted: Mar 24, 2022 at 6:38 Quote
harrymc-onthecheap wrote:
So could I use a SRAM level brake with the SRAM guide 4 pot caliper ?

Yes. The levers are substantially similar other than the reach / throw adjustments. Level doesn't have much, Guide has a bunch more.

I've run Guide Bleeding Edge 4 pots (front) with Level TLM levers and a few other mix/matches to keep a few bikes running during covid. Kept 2 pot on rear. Eventually got Guide RSCs to rebuild and just used those (I like the various adjustment capabilities on the guide vs. levels).

Posted: Mar 31, 2022 at 9:48 Quote
Lukas2306 wrote:
sxy-slo wrote:
Lukas2306 wrote:

are they tho? I've been experimenting for some time with the combinations of 2pot SLX levers/calipers and Deore 4pot levers/calipers and the feeling is just weird.

I currently run 4pot Deore levers with 2 pot SLX calipers on the first bike and the feel is rock solid, I press the lever and have an instant bite.

On the second bike, 2pot SLX lever on 4pot Deore pot is even after very careful bleeding still mushy. Recently went for shiguras and slapped MT5 calipers with 2pot SLX levers together and even tho they are much stronger, the lever feeling is still a little bit mushy. It feels like the oil chamber/piston in the lever is not pushing enough oil to caliper and it needs to be compressed much closer to grip to get the full stop.

EDIT: Please don't ask why I run this combination, It is the outcome of some destroyed levers and personal preference.

Yes. Ive mixed 8100 xt lever with fore 4pot caliper on May wifes occam. Works exactly the same. Probably you stil have some air bubbles in your starem.

Could the issue be that the SLX levers I run are kinda ancient M675 ones?

Perhaps. Or worn out?

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011824
Mobile Version of Website