Powered by Outside

2021 Giant Fathom

PB Forum :: Giant
2021 Giant Fathom
Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 21:53 Quote
Fatal2bU wrote:
How's the sizing on the Fathom? Size small upto 5'8" seems tight

I'm 5'6 and have a small, I would think a medium would fit you better.

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 9:35 Quote
What kind of trails does this bike suit? I want something more of an all mountain, but I want hard tail and pedal assist because I am an old man ????

130mm @66 head angle doesn't look like it would cut it. Happy to put a 140mm on it but no point if it's still too steep head angle to take the technical downhills.

Posted: Apr 29, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
GnarlySasquatch wrote:
What kind of trails does this bike suit? I want something more of an all mountain, but I want hard tail and pedal assist because I am an old man ????

130mm @66 head angle doesn't look like it would cut it. Happy to put a 140mm on it but no point if it's still too steep head angle to take the technical downhills.
I have yet to find a trail other than black diamond bike park trails that this bike is not awesome on.

Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 17:12 Quote
GnarlySasquatch wrote:

I'm happy to ride it on any trails, and usually rotate rides between my fs and the fathom.

O+
Posted: May 21, 2021 at 14:52 Quote
Anyone got a rough weight for the stock 2021 Fathom 29 1?

Posted: May 24, 2021 at 8:07 Quote
jdunnersv wrote:
Anyone got a rough weight for the stock 2021 Fathom 29 1?
measured it mine in November, it was around 13.9 kg without pedals. (Size L, fork was a very heavy 35 Silver TK 130mm and not the lighter Crest 34 130mm)

With some upgrades it's ~12.1 kgs with pedals. Smile

O+
Posted: May 28, 2021 at 9:01 Quote
Anyone know the rear hub engagement? Thinking of upgrading to hope pro 4 hubs and dt Swiss rims

O+
Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 5:28 Quote
I'll be getting my Fathom 2 in July and taking it to Pisgah soon after, I'll check back in on how it manages there.

O+
Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 14:35 Quote
Just ordered one (Giant Fathom 29 2 in my case). Several YT videos mention a fork clicking / tapping issue and a chain dropping issue. Anyone know if Giant figured those out? I'm crossing my fingers not to be plagued by either.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 16:27 Quote
nwberm wrote:
Just ordered one (Giant Fathom 29 2 in my case). Several YT videos mention a fork clicking / tapping issue and a chain dropping issue. Anyone know if Giant figured those out? I'm crossing my fingers not to be plagued by either.

Giant did not figure it out. I know this because I bought one Saturday and the chain will not stay on in the lowest gear. On a nother forum, people are putting a 3 degree offset crank and it is fixing the problem.

Posted: Jun 9, 2021 at 17:25 Quote
Toby-BeachBiker wrote:
nwberm wrote:

Giant did not figure it out. I know this because I bought one Saturday and the chain will not stay on in the lowest gear. On a nother forum, people are putting a 3 degree offset crank and it is fixing the problem.
Pretty sure that Praxis crank is junk. I put a Shimano crank on immediately and it hasn’t missed a beat.

O+
Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 15:29 Quote
Dougdirt wrote:
Toby-BeachBiker wrote:
nwberm wrote:

Pretty sure that Praxis crank is junk. I put a Shimano crank on immediately and it hasn’t missed a beat.

It sounds like Praxis will give you a new one if you're having the issue. Sounds like Giant caused the problem, though. If the bike itself needs a 3 degree offset and Giant sourced a 0 then I'd say that's on them not Praxis

Posted: Jul 13, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
New to the forum (1st post) - Never had an MTB. Picked up a 2021 Fathom 1 L 29" last night. Looking forward to learning and riding!

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 4:26 Quote
i just purchased a giant fathom 1 29er and my crest fork blew out. I only have two inches of travel left on the shock. Anyone else experience this? no oil coming out of the fork, just seems stuck. I had the shop take it apart and re-grease it all. All my travel came back, until my next ride. Lost all travel but two inches. Seems to be stuck again. (this all has happened with the fork left wide open)

O+
Posted: Aug 8, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
Adunham94 wrote:
i just purchased a giant fathom 1 29er and my crest fork blew out. I only have two inches of travel left on the shock. Anyone else experience this? no oil coming out of the fork, just seems stuck. I had the shop take it apart and re-grease it all. All my travel came back, until my next ride. Lost all travel but two inches. Seems to be stuck again. (this all has happened with the fork left wide open)

Uck. That sucks. I haven't had any kind of issue with mine yet, and have been putting it through its paces lately.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016842
Mobile Version of Website