Powered by Outside

The YT Capra 2022 thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
The YT Capra 2022 thread
  • Next Page
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 13:20 Quote
Can we take a moment to point out the reach numbers, I may not buy one but good on them for not falling down the hole of long reach and make everyones life now easier what size to get.
Modern bikes are horrid in their reach sorry but 485-490 for a 6ft person on a large is too big for a 29er.

Lets look at commencal 490 reach on a large... oh but steep STA... great now im bunched up pedaling and stretched out on the way down. bring back 470 reach for larges

*and the reduction in rear travel and adjusted shock angle to make it feel less lazy.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 14:14 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
Can we take a moment to point out the reach numbers, I may not buy one but good on them for not falling down the hole of long reach and make everyones life now easier what size to get.
Modern bikes are horrid in their reach sorry but 485-490 for a 6ft person on a large is too big for a 29er.

Lets look at commencal 490 reach on a large... oh but steep STA... great now im bunched up pedaling and stretched out on the way down. bring back 470 reach for larges

*and the reduction in rear travel and adjusted shock angle to make it feel less lazy.

I 100 percent agree. I bought a medium 2020 Capra Pro Race 27.5 (I’m 5’8”) about 6 months back and it is the most comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden geo wise. I’ve ridden the long reach bikes and man I hate it!

O+ FL
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 14:26 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:

I hear ya, but stem length has to be taken into account as well of course, and fork offset re: front wheel traction and weight distribution. 490 large on a 29er with traditional offset and 50mm stem is too long for a large. For me, I'm 5'10 but have a long torso, I find 470-475ish is my sweet spot. 460-465 is fine and more playful but I'd just like slightly more reach. The other issue for me is seat tube lengths, if I want to run a 170-180 dropper I need a 435ish max seat tube length.

Posted: Feb 16, 2022 at 8:50 Quote
Any thoughts on if the MX version - ie that was designed to be a mullet/ not mulleted aftermarket and so not compromising geo - would be better or worse than the (new) 29 version going uphill?

I'm considering selling my 1 season old 29 Pro AL while resell value should still be good. Thinking that 1kg weight saving + steep STA should be better on long uphills and I could drop a size compared to my current L which feels borderline too big for me, with hopefully not a huge extra outlay after selling my current ride.

I care more about agility/fun than speed going downhill - so mullet should be better. But I pedal uphill way more than lift-access bike parks - is 29er still better here even when geo is adapted for the smaller rear wheel?

Posted: Mar 10, 2022 at 7:48 Quote
New bike day Big Grin

After umming and aahing about what I could do to make my previous bike (21 Capra Pro AL in L) feel more nimble in tight turns in the end I decided to just bite the bullet white the value was still good and get a size smaller.

Ordered the new 22 Capra 29 in M about on March 2nd and it turned up yesterday (9th March, so 1 week delivery), and took her out for her maiden spin in my lunch break today:

photo

So far so good! Definitely feels both sprightlier uphill and more agile going down, though after only one short ride I can't say much more than that. VERY quiet. And bloody beautiful too!

Despite deliberately taking it easy to get to know the bike I got a 3rd (personal) best time uphill and (also personal, obviously, haha) 2nd fastest on 2 segments downhill; I don't particularly care about times but probably a good sign that it fits me better (FYI I'm 175cm). It is really nice riding with a bottle in the frame and so no pack too!

Only downside so far is only 125mm dropper instead of the 150 on the previous bike; not sure what YT's reasoning was there but personally I'd rather 150 again.

Posted: Apr 1, 2022 at 17:36 Quote
Got my mullet today!

photo

photo

photo

photo

No trail riding since it's been raining for the past 2 weeks here in the midwest but just riding around the neighborhood it feels like quite a beast compared to my 27.5 Jeffsy.

The dropper post is kinda ridiculous. Slammed all the way down it still sits too high up and it's only 125mm on a medium. Ordered a One Up 150mm dropper immediately. Tires are also DC and EXO instead of 3C and at least EXO+, congrats YT on saving $20.

Posted: Apr 5, 2022 at 13:40 Quote
clarky999 wrote:
New bike day Big Grin

After umming and aahing about what I could do to make my previous bike (21 Capra Pro AL in L) feel more nimble in tight turns in the end I decided to just bite the bullet white the value was still good and get a size smaller.

Ordered the new 22 Capra 29 in M about on March 2nd and it turned up yesterday (9th March, so 1 week delivery), and took her out for her maiden spin in my lunch break today:

photo

So far so good! Definitely feels both sprightlier uphill and more agile going down, though after only one short ride I can't say much more than that. VERY quiet. And bloody beautiful too!

Despite deliberately taking it easy to get to know the bike I got a 3rd (personal) best time uphill and (also personal, obviously, haha) 2nd fastest on 2 segments downhill; I don't particularly care about times but probably a good sign that it fits me better (FYI I'm 175cm). It is really nice riding with a bottle in the frame and so no pack too!

Only downside so far is only 125mm dropper instead of the 150 on the previous bike; not sure what YT's reasoning was there but personally I'd rather 150 again.

What's your thoughts after having it for about a month now? I'm the same height and stuck between M and L. Also considering the MX version but think 29 might be a better all rounder.

Posted: Apr 6, 2022 at 11:37 Quote
JK333 wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
New bike day Big Grin

photo

What's your thoughts after having it for about a month now? I'm the same height and stuck between M and L. Also considering the MX version but think 29 might be a better all rounder.

Love it! And M was 100% the right decision for me (though I've ordered a longer dropper). Possibly a more experienced/rowdier rider may prefer the bigger size, and I had plenty of good times on the previous model in L, but very happy to have the M now and would choose the same again.

Was also tempted by the MX, but it wasn't in stock when I ordered haha. On balance I think I'd stick with the 29er though... but would be curious to try it at some point.

Otherwise, it's significantly better uphill, even on fireroads. If I had to quantify that somehow I'd say it's 15-20% better/easier uphill (partly down to the weight {carbon vs al} and partly down to the steeper seat tube, but also definitely less pedal bob too). Downhill, the biggest differences for me are it feels lighter, more agile and a bit livelier - generally just easier to move around the trail. Somehow it feels like the rear suspension eats up roots and so on a bit better too. I've cleared a few things on my local trails which previously I always walked, so I guess even if it feels like less of a tank than the old (Pro AL) version I had it's more confidence inspiring/I feel like I trust it and myself on it more too.

Posted: Apr 7, 2022 at 16:59 Quote
clarky999 wrote:
JK333 wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
New bike day Big Grin

photo

Love it! And M was 100% the right decision for me (though I've ordered a longer dropper). Possibly a more experienced/rowdier rider may prefer the bigger size, and I had plenty of good times on the previous model in L, but very happy to have the M now and would choose the same again.

Was also tempted by the MX, but it wasn't in stock when I ordered haha. On balance I think I'd stick with the 29er though... but would be curious to try it at some point.

Otherwise, it's significantly better uphill, even on fireroads. If I had to quantify that somehow I'd say it's 15-20% better/easier uphill (partly down to the weight {carbon vs al} and partly down to the steeper seat tube, but also definitely less pedal bob too). Downhill, the biggest differences for me are it feels lighter, more agile and a bit livelier - generally just easier to move around the trail. Somehow it feels like the rear suspension eats up roots and so on a bit better too. I've cleared a few things on my local trails which previously I always walked, so I guess even if it feels like less of a tank than the old (Pro AL) version I had it's more confidence inspiring/I feel like I trust it and myself on it more too.
Thanks for your input!
Glad you are enjoying your capra and size choice. I'm still torn between the capra and jeffsy though. I think I'd go with a L jeffsy or M capra.
It's too bad the M capra comes stock with only a 125mm dropper post. One of the first things I noticed about the geo was the long seat tube.
Is the rear triangle carbon or aluminum?

Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 13:54 Quote
^^ Sorry for the slow reply!

Yep full carbon

I switched the 125mm dropper out for a 170mm PNW Loam

photo

Couldn't resist matching the grips and lever with that peanut brown while I was at it either...

photo

Install was actually super easy, and it did work with the already-installed lever and cable on the bike (ie just plugging and playing with the post) if I wasn't planning on switching anyway. Max insertion on the (medium) Capra seems to be more than the 238mm YT told me as I can slam that 'max insertion' line past the rubber seal, but I have it about 1cm out for my ideal pedalling height.

photo

Also got a Wolftooth B-Rad medium strap for the top tube mounts:

photo

Comfortably holds a tubolito tube, multitool, 2 tyre levers and a 25g CO2 cartridge + inflator head. Will still us a pack for longer 'adventure' rides to carry more water/pump/first aid kit etc, but this set up is pretty damn nice for pack-less afterwork laps on my local trails

Trimmed the bars from 800mm down to 780mm too and that made a HUGE difference: the bike feels so much more nimble, so much easy to steer into corners, but also feels like I can lean it and move the bike under me (/move me around the bike) much more.

Been playing with the suspension a lot too and getting pretty close to dialled but may remove a token from the fork.

Just get happier and happier with the bike! And still keep beating my PRs on local trails haha

Posted: May 1, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
clarky999 wrote:

Yep full carbon

photo

Couldn't resist matching the grips and lever with that peanut brown while I was at it either...

photo

Install was actually super easy, and it did work with the already-installed lever and cable on the bike (ie just plugging and playing with the post) if I wasn't planning on switching anyway. Max insertion on the (medium) Capra seems to be more than the 238mm YT told me as I can slam that 'max insertion' line past the rubber seal, but I have it about 1cm out for my ideal pedalling height.

photo

Also got a Wolftooth B-Rad medium strap for the top tube mounts:

photo

Comfortably holds a tubolito tube, multitool, 2 tyre levers and a 25g CO2 cartridge + inflator head. Will still us a pack for longer 'adventure' rides to carry more water/pump/first aid kit etc, but this set up is pretty damn nice for pack-less afterwork laps on my local trails

Trimmed the bars from 800mm down to 780mm too and that made a HUGE difference: the bike feels so much more nimble, so much easy to steer into corners, but also feels like I can lean it and move the bike under me (/move me around the bike) much more.

Been playing with the suspension a lot too and getting pretty close to dialled but may remove a token from the fork.

Just get happier and happier with the bike! And still keep beating my PRs on local trails haha

Nice upgrades! The brown looks great. I like that it comes with top tube mounts and can fit a water bottle. I always ride with a pack and look forward to being able to shed that.
How do you feel the climbing position is with the M vs L? Do you feel more bunched up and over the top too much or well balanced/centered? The long seat tube of the L has me worried but don't want to be to cramped on a M.
I am coming from a 27.5 140mm trail bike so feel like sizing down might translate better toward my playful/poppy riding style. I'd also like to be able to plow though lol.

O+ FL
Posted: May 16, 2022 at 5:59 Quote
clarky999 wrote:

Yep full carbon

Curious as to what your inseam is? Only thing holding me back on buying one is the 125mm dropper. IDK what I could fit thats longer. I'm only 5'8" if I could fit a 160 or more that would be awesome

Posted: Jul 5, 2023 at 14:42 Quote
Can I remove the rubber piece on the seat post to get my seat a little lower?

Posted: Feb 12, 2024 at 19:32 Quote
Freaking out, well a little. I'm coming from a Large mk2 Capra at 6 foot 32 inch in seam to an XL Capra Core 3. Did I make a mistake? Will jumping be completely ruined for me? Can I put a 40 mm stem on it and move seat forward and still have a fun time jumping?

Any thoughts on anyone riding a 29er Capra XL at 6 feet. Can it still be fun in the air?

• Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012594
Mobile Version of Website