Powered by Outside

TRP DH-R evo pads constantly glazing

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
TRP DH-R evo pads constantly glazing
  • Next Page
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 8:18 Quote
murlsquirl wrote:
I just went through the whole process again yesterday (clean rotor, sand glazed pads, bed in etc.) and they were glazed after one short and not steep ride. Front is still perfect.

Going to clean the rotor good tonight, throw on the new MTX pads, and hope the issue is fixed. I ordered directly from them so glad to hear the customer service is great if I still have problems.

I tried sanding the rotors a bit as well. Then cleaned thoroughly. Then installed new pads. Didn’t change for me. Tech on the phone said if you melt the pads onto the rotors, it’s game over for the rotors. The blue pads will heat up and melt onto the rotors easier if you grab a handful of brake AFTER they’ve heated up already.

The semi metallic and full metal pads will not do this, as described by the tech.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 8:27 Quote
jray152 wrote:
murlsquirl wrote:
I just went through the whole process again yesterday (clean rotor, sand glazed pads, bed in etc.) and they were glazed after one short and not steep ride. Front is still perfect.

Going to clean the rotor good tonight, throw on the new MTX pads, and hope the issue is fixed. I ordered directly from them so glad to hear the customer service is great if I still have problems.

I tried sanding the rotors a bit as well. Then cleaned thoroughly. Then installed new pads. Didn’t change for me. Tech on the phone said if you melt the pads onto the rotors, it’s game over for the rotors. The blue pads will heat up and melt onto the rotors easier if you grab a handful of brake AFTER they’ve heated up already.

The semi metallic and full metal pads will not do this, as described by the tech.

You don't think sanding/cleaning the rotors and using new (non-TRP) semi metallic pads would work? Doesn't seem right if I can get the pads to bite right after the process but only start to fade/squeal after they glaze again. I think it should be fine after they're properly treated and non shit pads are installed.

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 8:51 Quote
I sanded. Cleaned. Installed new pads in a semi metallic compound. Bedded them without any squealing.

Couple hours later, squeals…

This is just what I dealt with, I called them because I didn’t want to be running through pads. Especially if you’re buying the $35 pads….

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 8:54 Quote
jray152 wrote:
I sanded. Cleaned. Installed new pads in a semi metallic compound. Bedded them without any squealing.

This is just what I dealt with, I called them because I didn’t want to be running through pads. Especially if you’re buying the $35 pads….

Thanks for the info, man. I'll give them a call.

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 9:22 Quote
murlsquirl wrote:
jray152 wrote:

If the rotor is cleaned (but glazed to the point of no return), trying new pads won’t ruin the pads. They can still be used as long as they’ve not been contaminated with oil. I didn’t want to continue spending money looking for a solution so I just went to the source and voiced my concerns. MTX gold pads are GOOD.

O+ FL
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 10:09 Quote
jray152 wrote:
murlsquirl wrote:
jray152 wrote:

If the rotor is cleaned (but glazed to the point of no return), trying new pads won’t ruin the pads. They can still be used as long as they’ve not been contaminated with oil. I didn’t want to continue spending money looking for a solution so I just went to the source and voiced my concerns. MTX gold pads are GOOD.

Yeah, I love MTX pads.

Talked to them and then sent a picture and they think it's leaking at the seams. Sending out a complete new brake and rotor today. Awesome customer service.

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2023 at 22:32 Quote
Just experienced the blue pad pain. Brand new brakes, bled, bed in and setup. Initial feel was okay but drastically dropped off. Lower power and more noise.

Got home, cleaned everything with iso alcohol… still howling.

Just emailed TRP after reading everyone’s responses to the blue pads. Thinking that’s exactly what happened. I tried sanding, brake clean, heat, you name it… I can’t recover these brakes. Tried other pads too which makes me think the rotors are toast. So bummed for the long weekend and I can’t ride now.

Posted: Jun 17, 2023 at 8:16 Quote
Interesting. Both my bike (Trail EVOs) and my friend’s bike (Slate EVOs) started doing this exact thing this week. Blue pads, fine one day, squealing and slipping the next.

Thing is, they come back to life after about ten minutes of riding and are fine for the rest of the day until they sit overnight again.

No sign of fluid leaking from anywhere in the system. I leave dust on the calipers so I can check for it and they stay totally clean.

I may call TRP, or I may just swap in Shimano pads.

Posted: Jun 17, 2023 at 8:55 Quote
My blue pads always did this. No fluid leaking at all. TRP even had me ship mine back to them so they could take a look. My front brake with the blue pads has been fine though. Went to the gold TRP pads and never had an issue. Most recently riding the red MTX pads which I love

O+
Posted: Aug 22, 2023 at 16:34 Quote
I just joined this club. I swapped from rsc to DH Evo and they worked great. I’m a daily park rider so I burned through my rear pads in normal time and swapped them out for what they had in the shop- shimano metallic pads. They worked fine on day 1 but on day 2 they squealed like a stuck pig. I sanded them and cleaned the rotors but to no avail. In a fit of desperation, I swapped in the front (stock blue) pads and put the squealing shimano pads on the back and they worked fine. My guess is maybe I should just run organic, at least in the rear.

Posted: Feb 6, 2024 at 1:49 Quote
Does anyone know if these issues (dodgy bleed port seal and fussy resin pads / bedding in) have been fixed or are these brakes still fussy?

Posted: Feb 6, 2024 at 5:25 Quote
No.

But I switched to Hayes dominion A4 and I have the same issues with the rotor bed in process. They recommended “50” stops in their bed in process. I lost count but it was more than I’ve ever done with any other brake, ever.

Rotor started screaming at the end of the first ride. I resurfaced it, bed in again, same issue. Bought a new rotor (Hayes), different brand of pads, same process, same issue.

At this point, I’m convinced that it’s the design of the rotors.

I’ve never had this rotor issue with SRAM, Shimano, or Galfer rotors. Especially with SRAM, I was not as specific with the bed process. More of “good enough” bed in.

O+
Posted: Feb 6, 2024 at 9:05 Quote
I feel like all of these issues with pads not bedding in is a result of pads getting contaminated with mineral oil or DOT fluid.

Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 12:46 Quote
Joining the club,

Same problem as described with the blue pads. Tried cleaning and sanding and re bedding in but after a few days the squealing returns.
My last bed in procedure was 20+ braking sequences without stopping.
Maybe they need a re bed in before every ride?
It's like the disks don't absorb the dust and the pads end up polishing the disks. The brake dust is almost too easy to clean off.

Was the solution to change the disks?

Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 16:12 Quote
Clean the rotors and change to a different pad. I have TRP golds now with zero problems.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007677
Mobile Version of Website