Powered by Outside

Nukeproof Dissent enduro conversion

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Nukeproof Dissent enduro conversion
FL
Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 9:25 Quote
Sounds like you're not really after advice and already made up your mind but i gonna have a go at it anyway...
I love my downhill bike but even pedaling it for a kilometer on flatish terrain to get from the train station to the lift is a major warm up. On the other hand my Enduro bike is so capable as well that I'll never find it's full potential. Is it a downhill bike? No it isn't, but it works fantastically well on any trail.
With the downhill bike you will most likely not have enough seat tube insertion length to get a decent pedaling position and get the seat out of the way, have crazy pedal bob (likely even though some DH bike are quite alright), you need to spend a lot of money on a new cassette, derailleur and chainring just to have a compromised drivetrain anyway, and once you wear down the super draggy and soft tires down and replace them with something slightly less DH oriented you lost another major advantage of the big bike. Even in rough alpine bike parks like Verbier here 80% of people are running ensures these days

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 4:57 Quote
SleepingAwake wrote:
Sounds like you're not really after advice and already made up your mind but i gonna have a go at it anyway...
I love my downhill bike but even pedaling it for a kilometer on flatish terrain to get from the train station to the lift is a major warm up. On the other hand my Enduro bike is so capable as well that I'll never find it's full potential. Is it a downhill bike? No it isn't, but it works fantastically well on any trail.
With the downhill bike you will most likely not have enough seat tube insertion length to get a decent pedaling position and get the seat out of the way, have crazy pedal bob (likely even though some DH bike are quite alright), you need to spend a lot of money on a new cassette, derailleur and chainring just to have a compromised drivetrain anyway, and once you wear down the super draggy and soft tires down and replace them with something slightly less DH oriented you lost another major advantage of the big bike. Even in rough alpine bike parks like Verbier here 80% of people are running ensures these days

Your messages guys were all useful, in fact I may have changed my mind because I noticed that these issues could be a deal breaker for me.
1. Dropper post (horrible scenario, I need to spend money on it and it's not even enough for climbing up... Plus, as far as I can see it may be too long for me if I don't cut it... (I'm not so tall, so it may cause bumpings in the back also when I go down... Someone online complained about it)

2. Transmission is a problem, that's it, honestly patching up a brand new RS bike is the last thing I wanted to do...

3. The mono should be replaced too with the locking option...

All this would cost me 1500 and something more probably... Looks sick.

Now, let's start the search for enduro bikes with 180mm travel, if I'm not wrong is the maximum...
I think that the Nukeproof is a nice bike park machine, I'll look also other similar bikes, one thing for sure is that the bike store I have in the city has already a https://www.cannondale.com/en-gb/bikes/mountain/trail-bikes/jekyll/jekyll-2-c21202u in store, plus the Giants.

Anyway, 1-2 twice a year I'd like to ride Bike Park wales and take off Big Grin .
I saw video online of people using these bikes there, but tendentially, they were using DH not Enduro bikes, but I think that they are locals and ride only that...

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 6:10 Quote
Love my Specialized Enduro, 170 rear and 180 front. Dropper, 12 speed, downhill brakes, can run coil shock if you want, and the SWAT storage is nice for snacks on the big days. I sold my downhill bike to buy this and I don’t regret a thing.

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 8:24 Quote
Spec Enduro / Canyon Torque / Nukeproof Giga / Transition Spire alloy / Trek Slash / Privateer 161 etc all look the part for the use you mention. Sure there are loads of others

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 12:40 Quote
I'm now questioning if I need to take a 29 or 27.5...
The only thing I noticed is that the 29 has 170mm travel max, the 27.5 may have up to 180mm, quite difficult to find anyway.
The 29 will be difficult to use in some section, the wheels are simply too big, but I'm talking in theory, I've never tried.

The Nukeproof Giga is only carbon with the 29 model, I don't need and I don't like carbon, it may break easily OR anyway more easily.

Any suggestion on this?

Specialized is quite more expensive compared to the others.
Canyon and Transition still under scrutiny Big Grin , I don't know these bikes, plus it may not be easy to find in UK...

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 16:58 Quote
I found a bike available: Nukeproof Giga 290 Factory Carbon size M.
It's the high spec from Nukeproof, not RS but still great, that will not need any sort of upgrade --> https://nukeproof.com/products/2022-giga-290-carbon?variant=42387365396716

My concerns are the following:
1. 29" will not perform well in a strict line, or in a bikepark with quick change of lines, it seems way too big...

2. Carbon frame (as long as I put the invisiframe, it should be fine)

3. Frame size M is not exactly for me, but I'm almost in the recommended height, it should be fine...

4. The travel is 170mm instead of 180mm, just because it's the 29" model.

What do you think?

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 22:57 Quote
Just get the emtb for UK bike park riding. Three times more runs than those still on a pushbike.
Used kenevos from £4000.

FL
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 23:10 Quote
My advice would be not to compromise on geometry/size. Having a bike that is almost the right size won't help you in the long run.

Give a 29er a try. Go to a trail center or bike shop and rent a properly fitting 29 bike for a day and see if you like it or not. But realistically this is the way the industry is headed and if not this one, probably your next bike will be a 29er anyway. and chances are you will like it.

Don't sweat the 10mm of travel. A 170mm Enduro bike with agressive geometry is a monster and won't hold anyone back.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 23:45 Quote
Xav90 wrote:
I found a bike available: Nukeproof Giga 290 Factory Carbon size M.
It's the high spec from Nukeproof, not RS but still great, that will not need any sort of upgrade --> https://nukeproof.com/products/2022-giga-290-carbon?variant=42387365396716

My concerns are the following:
1. 29" will not perform well in a strict line, or in a bikepark with quick change of lines, it seems way too big...

2. Carbon frame (as long as I put the invisiframe, it should be fine)

3. Frame size M is not exactly for me, but I'm almost in the recommended height, it should be fine...

4. The travel is 170mm instead of 180mm, just because it's the 29" model.

What do you think?

10mm aint much of a difference. it seems to fit what you been ranting about and people have already recommended it

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 3:49 Quote
mcozzy wrote:
Just get the emtb for UK bike park riding. Three times more runs than those still on a pushbike.
Used kenevos from £4000.

What stops me to buy an e-Bike is that the battery could take fire, even though it's difficult, there is a little chance.

What this means? Well, I would pay an insurance for third party damages (I rent and I need to charge the battery inside my apartment), but I don't like the risk...
The main issue with such item is that when it takes fire, you can't do anything to stop it... The coverage that an insurance can provide could not be enough to cover the apartment building damages, which could escalate at crazy levels...
I'm pretty sure that no one out there thought to that, but I did and I'm not comfortable with it.

I'd love to ride more and initially I was thinking about an e-bike, regardless the cost, but the risks are simply a no way for me.
I'll cycle up... Cry

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 3:51 Quote
SleepingAwake wrote:
My advice would be not to compromise on geometry/size. Having a bike that is almost the right size won't help you in the long run.

Give a 29er a try. Go to a trail center or bike shop and rent a properly fitting 29 bike for a day and see if you like it or not. But realistically this is the way the industry is headed and if not this one, probably your next bike will be a 29er anyway. and chances are you will like it.

Don't sweat the 10mm of travel. A 170mm Enduro bike with agressive geometry is a monster and won't hold anyone back.

Thanks, I'll consider it.
Anyway, I found the mullet model available, 27.5 back, 29 front, eventually I'll take that, I think it's better for me that I go down the hill for 95% of my riding.

FL
Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 4:50 Quote
if I was looking for a proper park bike that does ride up, I'd be buying the Nukeproof Giga 297. 180mm travel front and rear. Good reviews (even taking enduro bike of the year at bikeradar), and the pricing isn't super silly. Nukeproof kit is really good too. The Elite seems to be the sweet spot for me in terms of price vs performance.

Honestly it may be my next bike after my Privateer 161, I want something mullet with a bit more suppleness in the back. Not to say the 161 isn't a brilliant bike too, especially considering the price.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 6:19 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
if I was looking for a proper park bike that does ride up, I'd be buying the Nukeproof Giga 297. 180mm travel front and rear. Good reviews (even taking enduro bike of the year at bikeradar), and the pricing isn't super silly. Nukeproof kit is really good too. The Elite seems to be the sweet spot for me in terms of price vs performance.

Honestly it may be my next bike after my Privateer 161, I want something mullet with a bit more suppleness in the back. Not to say the 161 isn't a brilliant bike too, especially considering the price.

The main difference with the Elite are the rims, to be honest, I don't know how much difference in quality that is, but it seems to be the main price difference and they appear to be racing goodies.

Then, there is also the RockShock vs Fox, not even here I can see a critical difference, the Fox is just easier to customize as far as I can see online.
It's a very difficult choice, 4500 vs 5500 pounds price...

(in theory, the 297 model has 170 travel in front, 180mm in the back considering the 27" wheel, otherwise it would have been 180mm both with 27" wheels only)

FL
Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 8:34 Quote
Xav90 wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

The main difference with the Elite are the rims, to be honest, I don't know how much difference in quality that is, but it seems to be the main price difference and they appear to be racing goodies.

Then, there is also the RockShock vs Fox, not even here I can see a critical difference, the Fox is just easier to customize as far as I can see online.

(in theory, the 297 model has 170 travel in front, 180mm in the back considering the 27" wheel, otherwise it would have been 180mm both with 27" wheels only)

The Elite has SLX brakes, which have tool free reach adjust which is very hand, SLX gearing is slightly lighter. The main difference is the suspension, the elite coming with the Fox 38 Performance Elite, which is the same as a factory level fork without the Kashima coat, so you get the Grip 2 damper, with all the adjustments. The lower spec comp model has the Domain RC, with the motion control damper. While I'm sure it's still a pretty good fork, you loose out the adjustable high speed compression. I also think the Super Deluxe Select R on the comp model does not have a lockout, if that matters to you.

There's nothing wrong with the Comp model, but the Elite would be my pick, as for £900 more you are shaving off a bit of weight, and having a big upgrade to the suspension, wheels and generally better parts overall. I think it's the Pick of the range, as upgrading from the elite to the factory model saves again a bit of weight but not as much as between comp and elite, you get what I would consider as nearly equivalent wheels, and the drivetrain, brakes and suspension are equivalent in my mind too.

Also the Giga 297 is 180mm both ends. 180mm fork, 180mm rear travel as listed on the Nukeproof site. There are 29 and 27 front and rear triangles so the front triangle is a 29, and the rear a 27. the different wheel sized bikes don't use the same frames.

Maybe it's worth looking through a few bikes, finding one you like the look of and trying to find a demo day near you?

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 9:24 Quote
melonhead1145 wrote:
Xav90 wrote:
melonhead1145 wrote:

The Elite has SLX brakes, which have tool free reach adjust which is very hand, SLX gearing is slightly lighter. The main difference is the suspension, the elite coming with the Fox 38 Performance Elite, which is the same as a factory level fork without the Kashima coat, so you get the Grip 2 damper, with all the adjustments. The lower spec comp model has the Domain RC, with the motion control damper. While I'm sure it's still a pretty good fork, you loose out the adjustable high speed compression. I also think the Super Deluxe Select R on the comp model does not have a lockout, if that matters to you.

There's nothing wrong with the Comp model, but the Elite would be my pick, as for £900 more you are shaving off a bit of weight, and having a big upgrade to the suspension, wheels and generally better parts overall. I think it's the Pick of the range, as upgrading from the elite to the factory model saves again a bit of weight but not as much as between comp and elite, you get what I would consider as nearly equivalent wheels, and the drivetrain, brakes and suspension are equivalent in my mind too.

Also the Giga 297 is 180mm both ends. 180mm fork, 180mm rear travel as listed on the Nukeproof site. There are 29 and 27 front and rear triangles so the front triangle is a 29, and the rear a 27. the different wheel sized bikes don't use the same frames.

Maybe it's worth looking through a few bikes, finding one you like the look of and trying to find a demo day near you?

Thanks for your help.
Actually I wanted to say, what did you suggest something else???? Big Grin Now I don't know what to choose...

Looking better, you're right, I think I confused the RS with the Elite when I was reading... I burned my eyes this week to find a bicycle Big Grin .

It seems that the only critical difference are the rims, but if these Nukeproof are good, then I take the Giga 297 Elite.

The missing gold color on the fork is very sad, VERY sad...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010959
Mobile Version of Website