Powered by Outside

Older riders, but not "Old School"

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Older riders, but not "Old School"
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 0:40 Quote
im in that age range I rode pretty hard when I was younger so I have had to slow down to try to save what cartilage I have left but I hope to be able to keep going till I reach 50if I can make it that far I will be happy.

these new suspension bikes are a real bonus when it comes to saving the body parts I wish they had them when I first started

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 8:41 Quote
35 here. Still kickin' it.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://triton.imageshack.us/Himg214/scaled.php?server=214&filename=edgetableae7.jpg&xsize=578&ysize=480

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 10:19 Quote
....hitting 40 on the 27th.....I think I charge it harder now than I did when I was 20! At least it feels like it? Smile
photo

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 11:33 Quote
I'm still jumping on picnic tables at 40 if that inspires anyone.........
photo

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 11:58 Quote
I'm 45 and came back to mountain biking in June 2008 after about 8 years of ignoring my bike. That was due to my not caring if I ever saw another bike again after about 10 years in the bike industry.

My first trail ride at Burnaby Mountain wasn't on my own RMB element it was on a Giant Trance X1 that made me feel very confident and comfortable after so many years off the bike. I'm a XC-AM trail rider, low imact-finess, sit in the saddle and spin. Never much into jumps much more into climbs.

Then I had a Reign X0 demo for a week and in that week due to the balanced feel of the bike started wheelie dropping a little and prejumping drops so I could float over them rather than roll them.

Back in the day my club and I built Nicoles, Weenie Boy, Dead Moped, Lower Snake, Upper Snake, the original switchbacks on Mel's down to Joes and did a lot of work on Mels. I also rebuilt North Road trail all on Burnaby Moutain. We rode Whistler when the resort didn't allow MTBs on the mountain because it was too dangerous! lol!

When the kids start talking how hard core they are I just say... hardcore? you guys? Try those trails with no suspension, no armour, no full face, cantis...not V or discs and do it for 15 years... then tell me how hard core you guys are... pansies! lol.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 12:02 Quote
when i started riding it was primarily xc,but always liked riding steeps,up until 2005 when i got my first full sus.

i still cant do tricks to save my life,but as far as i am concerened tricks are a small part of riding.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 12:13 Quote
davemud wrote:
I'm 45 and came back to mountain biking in June 2008 after about 8 years of ignoring my bike. That was due to my not caring if I ever saw another bike again after about 10 years in the bike industry.

My first trail ride at Burnaby Mountain wasn't on my own RMB element it was on a Giant Trance X1 that made me feel very confident and comfortable after so many years off the bike. I'm a XC-AM trail rider, low imact-finess, sit in the saddle and spin. Never much into jumps much more into climbs.

Then I had a Reign X0 demo for a week and in that week due to the balanced feel of the bike started wheelie dropping a little and prejumping drops so I could float over them rather than roll them.

Back in the day my club and I built Nicoles, Weenie Boy, Dead Moped, Lower Snake, Upper Snake, the original switchbacks on Mel's down to Joes and did a lot of work on Mels. I also rebuilt North Road trail all on Burnaby Moutain. We rode Whistler when the resort didn't allow MTBs on the mountain because it was too dangerous! lol!

When the kids start talking how hard core they are I just say... hardcore? you guys? Try those trails with no suspension, no armour, no full face, cantis...not V or discs and do it for 15 years... then tell me how hard core you guys are... pansies! lol.

Yes!!

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 12:42 Quote
When the kids start talking how hard core they are I just say... hardcore? you guys? Try those trails with no suspension, no armour, no full face, cantis...not V or discs and do it for 15 years... then tell me how hard core you guys are... pansies! lol.[/Quote]

Yes!![/Quote]

HaHa, yes... Kids just do not know how easy they have it now. When I started riding in the '80's, I would never have imagined how far technological advancements would progress MTBing.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 13:08 Quote
Lol no kidding, look at the bikes we have today compared to then. Still we had so much fun. Back in the 80's I was riding in Invermere BC, doing a lot of old mining roads, 20 km and 4000 ft of climbing and then riding back down. Rode up to glaciers, nearly hit a moose once coming back down Mconnel Creek and a black bear and her cubs on another mining road.

I had a mountain bike rental and touring company. We'd drive people up to Paradise Mine across from Panorama Resort and we'd ride down... one of the original lift service MTB areas in BC lol.

I did a week long adventure ride along the Mckenzie trail from Aneheim BC to 100 Mile... um I think it was 100 Mile House. We carried all our gear, had to hike a bike across beaver dams, found a crashed air plane, had to build a raft to float our bikes across a river... rolled into a native reserve during the Oca, sp?, seige in Quebec... oh we received a warm welcom from those folks! lol. did some fishing and despite having a Katadyn water filter still managed to get Gardia, sp.

In 1990 I moved to Burnaby. Our club rode 7th secret and helped Ross Kirkwood work on it back when it was still a secret! lol.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 13:21 Quote
Howdy guys. I guess I am at the young end of the spectrum (31) but I can still go and play all day. I used to ride a ton until college and got out of it for like three years and have been going back at it since '01. Love to hear Dave talk about no sus and canti's. Just took my tricross out on the local trails, forget how much fun and different it can be ripping trails when you actually have to pick a line. Nice change of pace from blasting over and off of stuff on the glory. Thanks Robholio for starting a mature thread where I don't have to hear about damn tight emo pants.

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 13:25 Quote
Lol! I remeber back in the day reading about Crested Butte in mags like Fat Tire Flyer and Dirt Rag... small publications full of hippies wearing pink and phsycadelic lycra.

O+
Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 13:53 Quote
davemud wrote:
Lol no kidding, look at the bikes we have today compared to then.

...yeah, we got ripped off! Although, maybe we are better riders because of it, cutting our teeth on full rigids!! (sometimes literally)

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 14:11 Quote
gorgefreerider wrote:
davemud wrote:
Lol no kidding, look at the bikes we have today compared to then.

...yeah, we got ripped off! Although, maybe we are better riders because of it, cutting our teeth on full rigids!! (sometimes literally)

ya we got ripped off with some things but we defiantly had the lightest bikes and in are day the parts were dam near jewelry something that parts are missing nowadays
I use to ride a metal matrix specialized that was in the 19s something that cant be done now

Posted: Dec 19, 2008 at 14:13 Quote
hey robholio you gotta update everyone on the old guys dirt jumping thread about this being an existing thread now. its a good idea. im glad it exists.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017504
Mobile Version of Website