Powered by Outside

Why are so many DH bikes still 27”?

PB Forum :: Downhill
Why are so many DH bikes still 27”?
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 17, 2022 at 4:49 Quote
I have an m16 that is mullet. I use for racing. But I through the 27.5 on for park sometimes. I don’t think the 29 is to much it just takes time getting used to it. It rooms over objects easier. Is less rough on chatter. If I’m on open trail and I’m on a 27.5 and my buddy has his mullet he can gain speed on me. We both weigh the same and both off the brakes. I don’t think you have to be a WC racer to tell the difference.

Posted: Nov 18, 2022 at 14:57 Quote
I've mainly ridden 27.5 and rode a 29er and didn't love it. 29ers do keep speed better and are missles in tech.
I rented a V10 mullet at Whistler and loved it. Still fun on jumplines and handles rough stuff great. Best of both worlds IMO.

Posted: May 5, 2023 at 16:07 Quote
How do these new 29er rigs ride? Big wheels and stretched out geometry, I haven’t ridden any dh bike since 2018ish

Posted: May 11, 2023 at 23:13 Quote
Wow I am really behind the times I guess. I'm still riding my '03 Diamondback XTS Moto with 26". I'm not racing with it just riding trails. What I like about it is it's an XL frame and not raked out like the newer 27.5's and 29's so I can put my 2nd wheel setup wrapped in Kenda K-Rads on them and ride it on the streets when I can't get to the trails.

Posted: May 24, 2023 at 10:44 Quote
Man, oh man I can't stand a 29" rear wheel. But I'm only 6' so maybe 6'3" it probably wouldn't feel so terrible. Also, I'm not racing and I don't care about my Strava times for DH. I've owned a Tues full 29 and currently own a 2020 TR11 full 27. I rented a V10 Mullet for a couple days at Whistler and loved it for that terrain. A good compromise for the trails I was running there.

TBH, I would love a 29/26 mullet but I think I'd be the only one that would buy one.

Posted: May 24, 2023 at 23:00 Quote
Rippedbx wrote:
TBH, I would love a 29/26 mullet but I think I'd be the only one that would buy one.

Considering the rarity of the Trek 69er, you're probably right.

https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2007/trek/69er

Posted: May 25, 2023 at 23:06 Quote
Sorry test post, Pinkbike is being weird.

Posted: Aug 29, 2023 at 9:23 Quote
29 is for taller rider. I'm not sure why some brands are going mullet on S size frames. Recently got a nukeproof dissent and it had 29 up front and it felt like i was riding a unicorn with a fat ass Eek

All it does is decrease the reach, t-rex your arm's and make you sit up straight, They are also a slog to get moving.
Again.. for a smaller rider.

I put a 27 back on that bitch and she rolls like a baby Jailbreak

Posted: Sep 20, 2023 at 15:16 Quote
Considering I rode a 26/24 mullet back in the day, man times have changed...

Posted: Jan 30, 2024 at 5:24 Quote
CarolineHix wrote:
29 is for taller rider. I'm not sure why some brands are going mullet on S size frames. Recently got a nukeproof dissent and it had 29 up front and it felt like i was riding a unicorn with a fat ass Eek

All it does is decrease the reach, t-rex your arm's and make you sit up straight, They are also a slog to get moving.
Again.. for a smaller rider.

I put a 27 back on that bitch and she rolls like a baby Jailbreak

I personally like sitting more straight since Im quite tall and get back pain quite fast in very leaned position.

I had 29er and changed for 27.5. For casual bike park laps, just having fun 27.5 was more confidence inspiring. On 29er while jumping I felt like Im doing a bunny hop in a slow motion every time. Not to mention tight switchbacks or left-right turns that come one after another.

Now I bought mullet, didint test it in the park yet but I can definetly feel the weight of the front wheel. It feels weird in the begining but I forgot about it after some time. Cant wait to test it on the tracks.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012641
Mobile Version of Website