Powered by Outside

Fox X2 Needs to be recalled.

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fox X2 Needs to be recalled.
O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2023 at 20:38 Quote
It didn't feel too safe as I was cruising down hill and lost all compression.
gnarnaimo wrote:
Generally, recalls are safety related. Because the issues with the x2 don't present an immediate safety concern, it's not likely it will be recalled. An extended warranty with an actual resolution would be a good customer retention move, however.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2023 at 20:40 Quote
I am sure they will fix it. But the turnaround time is 4-8 weeks.Who wants to be off their rig that long?
blamalamadingdong wrote:
maybe you should send it to fox....

they are upgrading the main body and trunnions on them if you send it in for service. at least they did for me and a couple others i know.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2023 at 20:42 Quote
I hear you, it's frustrating. They know it's an issue. Doesn't matter how good a shock can be if you never get to use it.
Hamburgi wrote:
i'm sharing my experience here as well...

Yes i'm riding an X2

Rebound doesnt work sent in for warranty

Again Rebound doesnt work, Warranty

came back from warranty leaked air... warranty

broken shaft, leaked oil, warranty

making those air oil noise, warranty

now its winter time, doesnt rode that much...

some air oil noise, rebound doesnt work...

called the service center, we dont know if we can do this under warranty...

Really Mad

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2023 at 20:42 Quote
Yes, the 2020 has been great.
Gravelben wrote:
Am I right in thinking its only the post-2021 revised X2 thats having issues? My 2020 seems fine at least, and the complaints I've heard all seem to be for 2021 onwards.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 27, 2023 at 22:12 Quote
Lestewa wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:
Generally, recalls are safety related. Because the issues with the x2 don't present an immediate safety concern, it's not likely it will be recalled. An extended warranty with an actual resolution would be a good customer retention move, however.

Did you sustain injuries as an immediate result of this? A shock loosing compression does not pose an immediate safety concern. Something like a faulty fastener allowing a wheel to randomly come off, or a faulty frame that has a headtube prone to shearing off, handlebars prone to snapping, brake rotors that suddenly fail. These would be examples of products that should be recalled.

Recalls are incredibly expensive to brands, typically they only happen as a result of class action lawsuits or companies like the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission forcing it upon brands due to repeated events with the potential to cause serious bodily harm or death. Sometimes, brands will extend warranties and update faulty products with a satisfactory resolution to retain customers as good business move. It is entirely up to the brand to do this if they choose, and if they don't it is up to consumer to motivate brands how to act with how they spend their money. Don't like the way a company does business? Don't buy their products.

O+
Posted: Feb 27, 2023 at 22:28 Quote
You're telling me that cruising down chunky rock gardens with your shock packed down in the suspension so it can't react properly to hits can't or won't hurt somebody? Cause it most definitely can. Either way, Fox put out a $700 toilet paper roll and should take some ownership and make it right with their customers. And you are right, I don't like how they have chosen to do business lately, and they won't get any more of my money. That is why my bikes are all speed with Zebs, Lyrics, Storias, and SDUs., way too many good products out there to ride other than a POS shock that spends more time in the shop than on a bike.
gnarnaimo wrote:
Lestewa wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

Did you sustain injuries as an immediate result of this? A shock loosing compression does not pose an immediate safety concern. Something like a faulty fastener allowing a wheel to randomly come off, or a faulty frame that has a headtube prone to shearing off, handlebars prone to snapping, brake rotors that suddenly fail. These would be examples of products that should be recalled.

Recalls are incredibly expensive to brands, typically they only happen as a result of class action lawsuits or companies like the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission forcing it upon brands due to repeated events with the potential to cause serious bodily harm or death. Sometimes, brands will extend warranties and update faulty products with a satisfactory resolution to retain customers as good business move. It is entirely up to the brand to do this if they choose, and if they don't it is up to consumer to motivate brands how to act with how they spend their money. Don't like the way a company does business? Don't buy their products.

Posted: Feb 28, 2023 at 2:32 Quote
My original x2, 2018? the rebound failed & pinged me over the bars resulting in a punctured lung. On review it had gone all squelchy. 8 months old.
Sounds like they have been utter shit since day 1. Would never buy another fox shock. I like their forks though.

Posted: Feb 28, 2023 at 3:23 Quote
Lestewa wrote:
I hear you, it's frustrating. They know it's an issue. Doesn't matter how good a shock can be if you never get to use it.
Hamburgi wrote:
i'm sharing my experience here as well...

Yes i'm riding an X2

Rebound doesnt work sent in for warranty

Again Rebound doesnt work, Warranty

came back from warranty leaked air... warranty

broken shaft, leaked oil, warranty

making those air oil noise, warranty

now its winter time, doesnt rode that much...

some air oil noise, rebound doesnt work...

called the service center, we dont know if we can do this under warranty...

Really Mad

They know it's an issue... but don't make a statement about that?

I'll better sending that shock to the service center, with the note. It's a gift for you! I dont want it back!

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 28, 2023 at 6:12 Quote
Lestewa wrote:
You're telling me that cruising down chunky rock gardens with your shock packed down in the suspension so it can't react properly to hits can't or won't hurt somebody? Cause it most definitely can. Either way, Fox put out a $700 toilet paper roll and should take some ownership and make it right with their customers. And you are right, I don't like how they have chosen to do business lately, and they won't get any more of my money. That is why my bikes are all speed with Zebs, Lyrics, Storias, and SDUs., way too many good products out there to ride other than a POS shock that spends more time in the shop than on a bike.
gnarnaimo wrote:
Lestewa wrote:

Sure it can, I'm just giving you the facts about recalls. Maybe do some reading on recalls if you're not understanding what I'm saying. Riding a bike down rock gardens, period, can hurt you. People ride through rock gardens on hardtails and make it through to the other side. You chose to put yourself into a dangerous situation on the bike in this case. This would very likely not stand up in court. If the hardware attaching the shock to the frame had a tendency to suddenly shear, that would more likely be the type of thing to be subject to a recall as it is very likely to be a cause of sudden injury.

Auto manufacturers have even more strict by associations such as National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or Transport Canada. However, even in the automotive world where a fault can imminently cause loss of life of the driver and others on the highway things like commonly failing shock absorbers (which certainly can potentially pose a safety risk as it can effect the handling of a car) are not usually the type of thing to be recalled. New Honda Civics rear shock absorbers are failing left right and center, but there's no recall, not even an extended warranty on this issue. A chassis rusting apart where the shock absorbers fasten to the frame, absolutely would be recalled.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2023 at 8:07 Quote
Ha, ha. If you only knew ho familiar I was with recalls and CPSC protocols. Feel free to read the comment here about the guy who punctured his long from a faulty shock. And going through a rock garden on a hardtail is not the same as going through a rock garden on a faulty shock. How long you been mountain biking for, a week? Just because something is used for something dangerous doesn't mean it is exempt from meeting certain standards. There i s a reason Fox recalled the X2 in 2016 and there is a reason they should do one now. The air cans cracking in 2016 isn't any difference then the air cans that are cracking now on certain bikes especially the Turbo Levo.I won't convince you otherwise and you won't convince me.
gnarnaimo wrote:
Lestewa wrote:
gnarnaimo wrote:

Sure it can, I'm just giving you the facts about recalls. Maybe do some reading on recalls if you're not understanding what I'm saying. Riding a bike down rock gardens, period, can hurt you. People ride through rock gardens on hardtails and make it through to the other side. You chose to put yourself into a dangerous situation on the bike in this case. This would very likely not stand up in court. If the hardware attaching the shock to the frame had a tendency to suddenly shear, that would more likely be the type of thing to be subject to a recall as it is very likely to be a cause of sudden injury.

Auto manufacturers have even more strict by associations such as National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or Transport Canada. However, even in the automotive world where a fault can imminently cause loss of life of the driver and others on the highway things like commonly failing shock absorbers (which certainly can potentially pose a safety risk as it can effect the handling of a car) are not usually the type of thing to be recalled. New Honda Civics rear shock absorbers are failing left right and center, but there's no recall, not even an extended warranty on this issue. A chassis rusting apart where the shock absorbers fasten to the frame, absolutely would be recalled.

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2023 at 8:41 Quote
Lestewa wrote:
I am sure they will fix it. But the turnaround time is 4-8 weeks.Who wants to be off their rig that long?
blamalamadingdong wrote:
maybe you should send it to fox....

they are upgrading the main body and trunnions on them if you send it in for service. at least they did for me and a couple others i know.

and this is why fox isn't "recalling" or acknowledging it.

because people are too stubborn to go to the manufacturer. the more warranty claims they have to fill, the more likely they will do something to stop it.

the number of people sending faulty shocks, within warranty, to 3rd parties or writing them off as garbage is a huge number of shocks that fox doesn't see with issues. you're spending your hard earned money and giving it to 3rd parties that cant do anything to help you instead of losing a couple weeks for a free component upgrade to help alleviate the problem.

by not sending it to fox for them to further acknowledge isn't helping anyone but fox. you are not helping the problem, only contributing to it.

also the turn around on mine was 2 weeks over the holidays, but obviously, we live in different countries so we will see different turnarounds.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 28, 2023 at 9:36 Quote
Lestewa wrote:
Ha, ha. If you only knew ho familiar I was with recalls and CPSC protocols. Feel free to read the comment here about the guy who punctured his long from a faulty shock. And going through a rock garden on a hardtail is not the same as going through a rock garden on a faulty shock. How long you been mountain biking for, a week? Just because something is used for something dangerous doesn't mean it is exempt from meeting certain standards. There i s a reason Fox recalled the X2 in 2016 and there is a reason they should do one now. The air cans cracking in 2016 isn't any difference then the air cans that are cracking now on certain bikes especially the Turbo Levo.I won't convince you otherwise and you won't convince me.
gnarnaimo wrote:
Lestewa wrote:

I was under the impression that shock failures are so common on yoke mounted bikes as a result of side loading issues. Isn't this an issue with many shocks on these frames? Especially coils turning to pretzels? Should Specialized be recalling all of the bikes they made that are prone to causing shock failure?
In 2016, the shock failures were due to excess pressure in the air sleeve, causing it to rupture. This was an issue on many fox x2 shocks regardless of the frame it was installed on, not exclusive to shocks coupled with linkages common to causing issues on many types of shocks.
I'm not aware of rebound issues as mentioned by the person having his lung punctured being super common or exclusive to the x2. I have had similar issues with other brand shocks. Similarly anecdotal.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 4, 2023 at 16:18 Quote
Fox is a publicly traded company. Their number one priority is the share holders now.

Posted: Mar 7, 2023 at 0:07 Quote
All model year 2016 X2 variants were recalled and included some batches of model year 2017s released to retail and to OEM builds. The X2's from 2021 onwards had a variety of problems, the worst of which included claims from some riders of exploding 2022 models mid-ride.

If you're looking to get an X2, the safest bets seem to be the 2018 to 2020 models.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 7, 2023 at 6:30 Quote
Verbl-Kint wrote:
All model year 2016 X2 variants were recalled and included some batches of model year 2017s released to retail and to OEM builds. The X2's from 2021 onwards had a variety of problems, the worst of which included claims from some riders of exploding 2022 models mid-ride.

If you're looking to get an X2, the safest bets seem to be the 2018 to 2020 models.

My 2019 puked oil everywhere within a year. They have never been a great shock, the performance drops off quickly.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010370
Mobile Version of Website