Powered by Outside

HD6 Thread

PB Forum :: Ibis
HD6 Thread
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 6:27 Quote
Anthraxx wrote:
What are the odds that somebody has already tried the size 5?

I'm 195cm with very long arms and I initially welcomed this crazy reach. But even the retailer warned me about huge imbalance between CS (435mm) and the reach (541mm !)

The theory says this bike is very unbalanced and the front wheel could be very prone to washing out when not extra careful.

How does it translate into real-world riding? Is it really so bad?

I'm an Ibis fanboy, had Mojo HD1 and HD3 so far and was always very happy with the way the bike performs. I can't believe Ibis release a bike that does not ride properly. But if I'm dropping 9k USD on a new rig, I'd like to at least know it will be good. Not like any retailer will order size 5 as a test bike... Frown

Thanks in advance!
/M

Posted: Jan 8, 2024 at 7:17 Quote
I have been riding my HD6 for about 60 days now. I would guess I have about 630 kilometers on the bike now. I am 172 CM, 75 kilos. 100 percent of my time on the HD6 has been on the desert trails of western Colorado. The bike ride’s really well. It performs great on switchbacks, it’s really easy to huck, tight corners and berms are a blast. It eats up chunky rocky sections very well, takes big drops like a dream. When the bike is airborne, it feels balanced and lands nicely. On longer climbs it does not feel like a 165/180 bike, it’s surprisingly efficient for a bike this big. Now for the weaknesses. The HD6 doesn’t ride over square sharp edge steps as well as my Specialized EVO. The 27.5 rear wheel feels like it hangs up climbing technical rocky sections over the 29 inch wheel. The 27.5 wheel is slightly slower riding flat sections of the trail. The HD6 eats up drops, and chunk so well it’s making me lazy I don’t pay attention to my lines as much as the EVO.
I hope this helps with anyone’s decision if they are thinking about purchasing a HD6.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 16, 2024 at 11:06 Quote
Just wondering if anyone with an HD6 has tried a Pivot Firebird as well and could give their thoughts on how the bikes compare?

Posted: Jan 16, 2024 at 16:49 Quote
charmingbob wrote:
Just wondering if anyone with an HD6 has tried a Pivot Firebird as well and could give their thoughts on how the bikes compare?

I have rode the 2022 Pivot Firebird and these are my thoughts on how it compares with my HD6. The Firebird is faster, it carries speed better than the HD6, the Firebird also seems to have more clearance I hit my cranks and frame less. The Pivot in my experience is a better all rounder it petals better. My Hd6 takes switchbacks drops and berms better. The HD6 frame is less noisy than the Bird, less cable rattling. Honestly for my riding style I should have purchased the Firebird in size small, I think the HD6 is too much bike for the trails I ride.

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 17, 2024 at 6:39 Quote
rufusrosso0 wrote:
charmingbob wrote:

I have rode the 2022 Pivot Firebird and these are my thoughts on how it compares with my HD6. The Firebird is faster, it carries speed better than the HD6, the Firebird also seems to have more clearance I hit my cranks and frame less. The Pivot in my experience is a better all rounder it petals better. My Hd6 takes switchbacks drops and berms better. The HD6 frame is less noisy than the Bird, less cable rattling. Honestly for my riding style I should have purchased the Firebird in size small, I think the HD6 is too much bike for the trails I ride.

Thanks for your feedback!

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2024 at 9:10 Quote
I have been riding a 29 FBV1 size M since 2019 and love almost everything about that bike however since day 1 i have had issues with weighting the front wheel, climbing requires sliding fwd on the saddle and cornering isn't as intuitive as i would like, fiddled around quite a bit with stem length, bar rise, saddle position, etc. and got to a place i was pretty comfortable with. Now on a S3 HD6 and the subtle changes in geo have improved this quite a bit. The extra clearance off the back is also welcome on the steeps, as others have mentioned landing drops are dreamy (i went with a ZEB). it MIGHT be a little slower or less flowy on chunky climbs but not significantly and i'm not racing so don't really care. Agree that the ground clearance seems a little less when pushing, now have 3 spacers in the X2 (had a full load in the FB) and somewhat higher than recommended psi and it's not a real problem. Overall a subtle but significant improvement in almost all measures IMO

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2024 at 6:12 Quote
I just ordered an HD6 last night in the lavender haze color! I can't wait to get this bike but I have a question about the color. In all the pics I've seen, it looks as though the front triangle is a gloss finish and the rear triangle is matte finish. Is that correct? I want to double check before I order a ride wrap for it.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 14, 2024 at 10:20 Quote
Hey all, Disregard if you're not interested, but I've posted my HD6 for sale. This has been one of my favorite bikes I've owned for the few months I've had it, but I'm moving across the country and I have too many bikes, so I need to sell a few and liquidate some cash. Check out my listing if interested.

It started as a GX build and I made a lot of changes/upgrades. Brakes, Crankset, Drivetrain, Dropper, Handlebar, stem, Grips. Wheels, tires, Cranks, and Chainring are all brand new.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3813670/

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011765
Mobile Version of Website