Powered by Outside

Hand Pain

• Next Page
O+
Posted: Nov 14, 2023 at 14:04 Quote
I have had it serviced once since April (was brand new to start). New seals etc. Was a '50 hour' service, but I think that applies Sram stuff. It could be due again, I guess, but this pain is kinda next level. Once I get my hub back in working order I'll be in test mode, unless it snows, then I'll just wait until next season (ski mode).

Posted: Nov 15, 2023 at 15:23 Quote
I've had similar hand pain. ODI Rogue grips and PNW Range bar helps me alot. Of course proper suspention and tire pressure settings will help as well.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2023 at 15:48 Quote
toddnzmtb wrote:
Whenever I get sore hands I try to remind myself heavy feet light hands, I find it extremely difficult to remember and if it's steep full-on stuff doesn't really work but yeah, that's just me!

Have you got some big padded gloves to test it out? I've seen gel pads for shoes, maybe shove some in the gloves see what happens.

You mentioned ODI Rogue grips, I also have these.

I was doing that last ride, definitley easier said than done. I think ODI grips are definitely on the list and some hardcore fork tuning. The more I go over the issues things point to the fork. I never found any Rockshox had this issue. Almost wanna do a swap.

O+
Posted: Nov 15, 2023 at 15:53 Quote
A review on the OneUp site for their alu bars:

"I’ve had two sets of the carbon version on my full-suspension bikes and love them, but it has come to be all I know.
I built up a rigid mtb frame with my spare parts just to have something different and 3 miles into the first ride the old 35mm RF bars were literally sending shooting pains through my palms,
Thought I’d give these a go since my entire stem library is 35mm and I trust the geometry of the carbon version.
Take it from someone on a rigid mtb… these things do what they say! Went for a 21 mile ride on rocky singletrack today and my arms and hands feel great. Thanks again OneUp!"

I've got RF35 bars, this speaks to me!

Posted: Nov 15, 2023 at 16:39 Quote
My Renthal's carbon lites have been good, but they should be the icing not a bandaid. Work with the fork. No fork will feel good with bad settings. You will get there.

FL
Posted: Nov 16, 2023 at 5:44 Quote
jesse-effing-edwards wrote:
toddnzmtb wrote:
Whenever I get sore hands I try to remind myself heavy feet light hands, I find it extremely difficult to remember and if it's steep full-on stuff doesn't really work but yeah, that's just me!

Have you got some big padded gloves to test it out? I've seen gel pads for shoes, maybe shove some in the gloves see what happens.

I was doing that last ride, definitley easier said than done. I think ODI grips are definitely on the list and some hardcore fork tuning. The more I go over the issues things point to the fork. I never found any Rockshox had this issue. Almost wanna do a swap.

If it was a fork issue it would probably be less noticeable on the steeps and more noticeable on flatter sections of trail, at least if you are attributing fork harshness to the hand pain. On steep sections if your fork is to soft in comparison to the rear its going to sit deeper in travel which then I could understand causing hand pain. This is also somewhat a nuanced discussion because within biking you always have some compromise depending on what you want your bike to perform best on. And I am not saying don't chase these feelings to try and make the bike perform better in different areas, definitely do, I just don't think spending the time and money on fork tuning is going to solve the issue to the best effect. Something that would help us contributors to this discussion would be for you to give a list including your bike, size, fork, rear shock, Sag front and rear, pressures front and rear, your weight and height, the type of tracks you are usually riding on at a minimum. Its nice to see that you are getting into the weeds on this type of bike setup but there are methodologies of approach that work well and I think we could be of more benefit to you if we have a little more information.

O+
Posted: Nov 16, 2023 at 6:39 Quote
Henryd555 wrote:
toddnzmtb wrote:

If it was a fork issue it would probably be less noticeable on the steeps and more noticeable on flatter sections of trail, at least if you are attributing fork harshness to the hand pain. On steep sections if your fork is to soft in comparison to the rear its going to sit deeper in travel which then I could understand causing hand pain. This is also somewhat a nuanced discussion because within biking you always have some compromise depending on what you want your bike to perform best on. And I am not saying don't chase these feelings to try and make the bike perform better in different areas, definitely do, I just don't think spending the time and money on fork tuning is going to solve the issue to the best effect. Something that would help us contributors to this discussion would be for you to give a list including your bike, size, fork, rear shock, Sag front and rear, pressures front and rear, your weight and height, the type of tracks you are usually riding on at a minimum. Its nice to see that you are getting into the weeds on this type of bike setup but there are methodologies of approach that work well and I think we could be of more benefit to you if we have a little more information.

Ibis Ripmo AF - 205lb rider 6'
Progressive coil 550-650 - not sure about sag
Fox 38 170 - 15%ish sag
technical mostly seated climbs to semi-steep descents, loose at times, fairly rocky, minimal airtime when not in the bike park. Not many flow trails here outside of the park.

I initally had the fork with more sag, and it was worse. Upped it, but haven't checked it in an while.

Posted: Nov 16, 2023 at 14:20 Quote
I struggled with hand pain/arm pump on my Stumpjumper Evo with Fox 36.

Getting the forks serviced helped a lot.

However I still need to be careful about cockpit setup, especially when riding harder stuff. Brake and shifter position and brake lever reach make a difference.

On steeper trails I run massive brakes (220mm HS2 front, 200mm HS2 rear) which also helps a lot as I’m putting a lot less effort into braking.

If I’m wearing thicker gloves I need narrower grips too.

I find that arm pump is a vicious cycle. Once it starts I’m on the brakes more. That then makes it worse.

I run Burgtec carbon bars with Revgrips.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2023 at 7:02 Quote
Ibis Ripmo AF - 205lb rider 6'
Progressive coil 550-650 - not sure about sag
Fox 38 170 - 15%ish sag
technical mostly seated climbs to semi-steep descents, loose at times, fairly rocky, minimal airtime when not in the bike park. Not many flow trails here outside of the park.

I initally had the fork with more sag, and it was worse. Upped it, but haven't checked it in an while.

That seems awfully stiff, I'd focus on overhaul and setup on your fork for sure.

Riding my fatbike with a ridgid fork last night definitely led to hand pain, not nearly enough snow yet to smooth out the chunky trails.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2023 at 7:10 Quote
What do you think seems stiff, the fork? That's fox reccomendations I think. Running it softer it was bad. I had like 25% sag as I was thinking back to forks of yesteryear, and it really suffered. I actually checked the pressure yesterday and it seemed quite a bit lower than I remembered, which may be my issue (cold temps maybe?).

FL
Posted: Apr 1, 2024 at 22:59 Quote
Don't discount the grips. I rode ergon and they gave me terrible hand pain. I now ride fatter, normal grips (33mm race face grippler) and this has made a huge difference.

O+
Posted: Apr 2, 2024 at 7:23 Quote
Nairnster wrote:
Don't discount the grips. I rode ergon and they gave me terrible hand pain. I now ride fatter, normal grips (33mm race face grippler) and this has made a huge difference.

Thanks for this!

I've been trying to lighten the grip on the bars and do all the things, but it's still not great. I may go back to old ODIs or whatever chunky grip I had before.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020863
Mobile Version of Website