race face diabolus seatpost, why bother?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
race face diabolus seatpost, why bother?
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 11:12 Quote
why is it called a seat post when what you actually sit on is referred to as a saddle?:P

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 12:14 Quote
marquis wrote:
of course there is if you want it to match the rest of your diabolus kit.

although the sdg i beam is the best for light weight and strength.

i traded my free thomson seatpost for a diabolus,just i have never seen the big thing about thomson,and they don't have lay back.

thats what I was thinking to myself, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay 80 bucks for a straight piece of metal that is a bit lighter than the rest. I think I'm gonna have to go with terriflow and the others here. oem seatpost for me.

I almost never hit the saddle when I come down from a jump or hit a drop anyways, I mean I DO but by the time my but lands on the saddle my legs and knees have absorbed everything that my tires and front shock havn't.

Mod
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 12:36 Quote
It also depends on the bike. I mean I'm trying to build a brand new 36 pound full on DH race bike. Unfortunately, a cheap seatpost just won't cut it. Not only is weight an issue on this bike but on a rig of this caliber requires a lot of performance parts. Who would buy a $3000+ frame just to have no name generic parts on it? The answer is very few if any. For some people, things like this pose issues. For others, it doesn’t. Most people on “lower-end” bikes can get away with it as they don’t really care and are just progressing. Obviously if a person has the money to custom build a high-end rig they aren't going to cheap out on a seatpost or any other components for that matter. I mean would you put an Axiom seatpost on an Intense M6 with a Cane Creek Double Barrel and titanium spring? If you want to play, you have to pay. End of story. I hope that you never have to look for a pair of pedals because you might accidentally discover the cost of the 6Foe pedals and you will have an aneurysm.

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:11 Quote
although the sdg i beam is the best for light weight and strength.

i traded my free thomson seatpost for a diabolus,just i have never seen the big thing about thomson,and they don't have lay back.

thomson's elite is actually the strongest seatpost on the market, despite being one of the lightest, I have seen footage of a car being hung off the clamp, without it failing

thomson hold 110 patents on their seatpost and stems, and don't make any other components apart from stems and seatpost, to keep their focus on getting those 100% right

their elite seatpost and 4x stems are truly works of engineering art, i will never run anything but thomson stems and posts on all my bikes (I don't ride for them by the way, i pay for the parts)

they do more destruction and fatigue testing than any other company on the market, and regularly put their own stems and posts through the tests along with everything else other companies such as race face, easton and Titec make

Along with numerous cheap and no-name seatposts, I have broken Easton's EA-50 and Race Face Diablous seatposts - the Diablous clamp sheared on the serrations and refused to grip the saddle tight, after bad landing a no-footer on a step down)

I have never as much budged my thomson post, despite some terrible landings and crashes that have ripped seat hulls off the rails, or left it mangled

you get what you pay for, and if you want the best, get a thomson

and btw, thomson do make a layback post...its called the thomson elite layback and comes stock on several bikes like the Specialized Enduro Pro SL Wink

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:12 Quote
them 6foe pedal's are just ridiculous,i dont care what bike they are going on 180 quid is a p*ss take.

ah the silly bent one,i like full seatpost insertion.

and not to call any one a lier but mbuk did a test on stem's recently and they said that the thomson stem bolt's are a bit of a hit and miss affair,sorry but that don't sound like 100% quality to me.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:25 Quote
Hmm. Was just reading through this for lack of anything else to do and now have 2 questions.
1. All i every use my seat for is siting on when im not riding and just talking or something, riding to trails and when my bike breaks so i can just freewheel back down again so my seatpost never takes any stress because im always out of the saddle stamping on the peddals so why do you break them?
2. Come on is the weight diffrence of a seat poast really going to be worth that much money because when you look at it like i do its 100 quid for a few seconds which i could get with a better night sleep or better diet?

Not trying to provoke argument just wondering.

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:29 Quote
for shoe.

1 main reason is crashing or landing badly.

2 sdg seatpost is cheaper than the diabolus,but also a lot lighter,and as a package the sdg can be a very good way to save weight,upto 300 grammes depending on the combo you are replacing.

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:30 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
Hmm. Was just reading through this for lack of anything else to do and now have 2 questions.
1. All i every use my seat for is siting on when im not riding and just talking or something, riding to trails and when my bike breaks so i can just freewheel back down again so my seatpost never takes any stress because im always out of the saddle stamping on the peddals so why do you break them?
2. Come on is the weight diffrence of a seat poast really going to be worth that much money because when you look at it like i do its 100 quid for a few seconds which i could get with a better night sleep or better diet?

Not trying to provoke argument just wondering.
yeah if you don't break, or even use, seatposts, then the money would be wasted. if you care more about looks, or if you actually break stuff and need more performance-orientated parts, then the extra $ is WELL justified. obviously we all come in different on the scale of what we need out of a seatpost, and to each their own i say.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:35 Quote
Probably the level of riding im at. You can see from my pictures my bikes not really that good but i bet on a 3 grand bike i would be very marginly faster and it would be a waste of money which probably just means im tight lol.

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:40 Quote
Thomsons are $75-85 for the Elite and $135 for the Masterpiece. I don't know where you guys are getting these astronomical numbers. Thomsons are worth every cent.

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:44 Quote
^^and the elite is now $69.95 at jenson as per the market...but the boys in the uk take er up the arse as far as bike pricing goes

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:46 Quote
yea my thomson was £59 so that about $120us. still worth it tho.

Mod
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:47 Quote
In Canada, an Elite is about $125 and a Masterpiece is close to $200 if not more. The EC90 is more than the Masterpiece and it weighs a few grams more too. However, my loyalty is with Thomson. Thomson stems and posts for life. Even though the US and Canadian dollar are pretty much at parody, the prices in Canada and overseas don’t reflect the same pricing as the USD. For example, a car in the US is $32k and in Canada, that same car is $40k Canadian although there is less than .01 difference in the two exchange rates. The same thing happens with bike parts. The Canadian pricing for an Intense M6 with a Revox rear shock is $3400 versus the $2999US price.

O+
Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:50 Quote
Ok quick price check to see what diffrence is.
A jucie 7 2008 is 110 quid with a 8 inch rotor what is that going to be in US/Canada

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 13:53 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
Ok quick price check to see what diffrence is.
A jucie 7 2008 is 110 quid with a 8 inch rotor what is that going to be in US/Canada

well the British £ is roughly £1=$2

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016720
Mobile Version of Website