Whats better for your fitness: Running or Biking?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Whats better for your fitness: Running or Biking?
Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 5:47 Quote
ocashard wrote:
smoking, smiling and riding....

+1 and running is such an effort,and feels weird when you have been on the bike a while.

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 10:14 Quote
mustardman525 wrote:
i doubt it. unless the conditions were un-equal

No it's a fact. Good treadmills tell you haw many calories you burn, so do good stationary bikes.

Bike>running

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 12:24 Quote
vinceliberatore wrote:
mustardman525 wrote:
i doubt it. unless the conditions were un-equal

No it's a fact. Good treadmills tell you haw many calories you burn, so do good stationary bikes.

Bike>running

A+... biking is a much better work out.

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 12:28 Quote
running scewed up my knees i like biking because it is low impact

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 at 12:34 Quote
running is retarded.
-boring
-slower
-CANT DO TRICKS:O
-those f*cking belts and equipment they use look retarded and those GPS thingies on their hand is like a f*cking computer, you know just in case you get lost in the middle of your city
-my moms a runner and spends bout 60% of her time on it
-waste of money and time imo

Posted: Aug 9, 2008 at 2:10 Quote
poozank wrote:

depends what you do

Posted: Aug 9, 2008 at 2:12 Quote
who the hell would be doing all of that lol
i'd be like running around my block or around my naughborhood, i would be goin all out with a GPS thing and crap

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 8:17 Quote
running is a f*cking kind of sport. hate....cycling too....downhill...just downhill...fall in loveCool

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 8:26 Quote
Well, this physics thing proved that if you walk lets say 10m, you will burn as much calories as if you ran 10m , same if you jumped, skipped etc.

But with biking because your using mechanical device it screws that all up. So you wont burn as many calories going the same distance as a runner, but its better for your knees i suppose, as running on roads just ****'s them up.

Also, depends on whether your doing a long gradual exercise, or fast explosive things, like sprinting / DH. Fast explosive exercises will give you more muscle, whereas slow jogging/ XC, will tend to burn more fat, and give you a bit of muscle.

--- thats some gcse PE, but im still going to fail Beer

Posted: Aug 10, 2008 at 23:16 Quote
CharlieS43 wrote:
Well, this physics thing proved that if you walk lets say 10m, you will burn as much calories as if you ran 10m , same if you jumped, skipped etc.

But with biking because your using mechanical device it screws that all up. So you wont burn as many calories going the same distance as a runner, but its better for your knees i suppose, as running on roads just ****'s them up.

Also, depends on whether your doing a long gradual exercise, or fast explosive things, like sprinting / DH. Fast explosive exercises will give you more muscle, whereas slow jogging/ XC, will tend to burn more fat, and give you a bit of muscle.

--- thats some gcse PE, but im still going to fail Beer

u made that alot easier than just sayin
biking is lol
thanks bud

Posted: Aug 11, 2008 at 11:58 Quote
ilikemybike011 wrote:
poozank wrote:

depends what you do
am and dh

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 19:26 Quote
instead of running get a single speed road bike that has a really hard gear to ride in and just ride that around

O+
Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 19:27 Quote
Termenaitor wrote:
I hate running...

i too hate running. i can run very fast but i just hate running. I think i heard somewhere that running is bad for you so dont do it. ride single speed rigid cross country.

Posted: Aug 12, 2008 at 19:33 Quote
Depends really on what your goals are

If you are trying to increase your cardiovascular endurance there are other alternatives then just running.

Look into high intensity interval training, tibatas, complexes with lighter weights, wind sprints, or hill running. There's lots out there that will give you the same if not better results then just going for a run with out all the wear and tear on your joints.

Steady state cardio has it's place but there are more interesting ways out there.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.055545
Mobile Version of Website