Pinkbike will be undergoing scheduled maintenance on May 29 at 9pm PST for up to 6 hours. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during this time.
Powered by Outside

Kona Stab deluxe 2008 or iron horse sunday expert 2008?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Kona Stab deluxe 2008 or iron horse sunday expert 2008?
Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 10:25 Quote
Iron Horse man no question much mroe DH specific

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 10:45 Quote
wtf is everyone saying the iron horse is better cuz sam hill rides it? what about fabien barel? he only won like every race. until sam hill came around but u get the idea. i think that if have the money to upgrade either of the bike i would go with the kona cuz its freaking tight.

little off topic but heres some fabien barel.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=nuAxrF6U3Uk

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 10:48 Quote
btw u r one lucky dude to get to choose between those 2 bikes

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 10:55 Quote
id say go for the iron horse
much better in my opinion

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 14:52 Quote
tefiii2005 wrote:
Oh forgot one thing, You have to replace the bolts and bearings in the Sunday after each season if you ride a lot and ride it like it is supposed to be ridden. They develop serious play in the pivots. I replaced my roommates for $170 for the entire set with the bolts and bearings. Thats pretty customary for bikes that get ridden hard but they are $170 from Iron Horse which is more than most other bikes.

olitrek wrote:
to be honest guys iron horse is very expensive to say the bearings go so often, if they sorted the back end out ten it wud be more popular, and kona give you alot for the money lets face it!!!

To set both Tefi & Oli straight here, the bearings on the Sunday (or any other dw-link bike for that matter) do not wear out more often than any other bike out on the market. In fact, I'd venture to say they actually will last longer than a bike w/ traditional standard sealed bearing.

dw-link bikes use Enduro MAX-E bearings. These are custom made oversized bearings that include the inner spacer. dw-link bikes also use 7075-T6 alloy pivots axles that are lighter and stiffer than steel or 6061 hardware. You can read more info here www.ironhorsebikes.com/tech This is why they cost a little more than some competitors; though most competitors are similarly priced $100+ for their frames. However, if you take care of your equipment you will not need to replace them often at all.

More times than not, the bearings are not worn out. MAX bearings are designed for bicycle suspension pivots and see-saw vs spin. Because of this, they can feel notchy when not preloaded. For a good read on MAX bearings check out this mtbr post by Intense on the subject http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=139889

-ska todd

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 15:07 Quote
I'm also buying a bike around 3000$ but im gonna go for the Commençal Supreme DH its a 7' bike but its really progressive and u don't really have the need for that extra inch.

You should really consider the commençal.

If not go for the sunday cause konas are good but most of the other companies have way better systems than the konas...

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 15:24 Quote
i'd personally pick the sunday over the stab, mainly cause of the frame. i'm really picky about suspension designs.

i.e. i can't stand single pivot/faux bar suspension systems, i'd personally not very get unless it was a short travel SS or DJ bike

for DH, FR, trails etc, i only like virtual pivot point, so thats why i would choose the sunday.

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 15:27 Quote
i think if the kona is cheaper, go with it because it has a little bit better parts

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 15:55 Quote
fluder wrote:
i'd personally pick the sunday over the stab, mainly cause of the frame. i'm really picky about suspension designs.

i.e. i can't stand single pivot/faux bar suspension systems, i'd personally not very get unless it was a short travel SS or DJ bike

for DH, FR, trails etc, i only like virtual pivot point, so thats why i would choose the sunday.

Sundays use Dw link, not vpp.

Also some of the most succesful dh bikes in history (orange, honda) are single pivots. Nothing wrong with simplicity.

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 16:00 Quote
I think that the DW link is a great pivot system, I've used it before and no complaints. On konas though, the faux bar isn't the best way to go. One of my friends was riding his stinky and the rocker bar snapped, isolated incident or not, shit happens. All in all, I'd go with the Sunday: better frame now, better parts later.

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 17:38 Quote
s-t-e-v-e wrote:
fluder wrote:

Sundays use Dw link, not vpp.

Also some of the most succesful dh bikes in history (orange, honda) are single pivots. Nothing wrong with simplicity.

1. sorry, i shouldn't had used the term "virtual pivot point." i didn't mean santa cruz's patented suspension technology. i meant the type of suspension that uses a virtual point to pivot on (ie dw-link, vpp, maestro).

2. i forgot to mention why i choose virtual point over single pivot.

most importantly i like the feel of virtual point more. i've tried many single pivot bikes, and i just can't stand them.

secondly, virtual point is WAY more pedal efficient then single pivot. unless you have the front cog mounted directly on the pivot point, so that the chain line doesn't increase, you aren't going to have a single pivot design that is more efficient and responsive in terms of pedaling as virtual pivot. theres also brake jack/bob/whatever you want to call it. i remember that there was a huge argument about the name a while ago, i really don't want to get into that so heres what i'm talking about:

when you brake, the force of your wheel pushes your suspension up a lot on a single pivot, while it barely does, or doesn't at all sometimes on virtual point bikes. thats what i'm talking about. I REALIZE that you can get around this with a floating brake mount,and i'm pretty sure the stab has one, but its just extra weight, so why not just have a virtual point?

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 17:53 Quote
fluder wrote:

secondly, virtual point is WAY more pedal efficient then single pivot. unless you have the front cog mounted directly on the pivot point, so that the chain line doesn't increase, you aren't going to have a single pivot design that is more efficient and responsive in terms of pedaling as virtual pivot. theres also brake jack/bob/whatever you want to call it. i remember that there was a huge argument about the name a while ago, i really don't want to get into that so heres what i'm talking about:

when you brake, the force of your wheel pushes your suspension up a lot on a single pivot, while it barely does, or doesn't at all sometimes on virtual point bikes. thats what i'm talking about. I REALIZE that you can get around this with a floating brake mount,and i'm pretty sure the stab has one, but its just extra weight, so why not just have a virtual point?

Not sure what single pivot bikes you have ridden, but I know for a fact that my Foes Fly has way more effecient pedaling than any other long travel bike I have ever ridden. And the "added weight" of a floating brake arm is not at all noticable.

Posted: Nov 25, 2007 at 19:02 Quote
nlitworld wrote:
fluder wrote:

Not sure what single pivot bikes you have ridden, but I know for a fact that my Foes Fly has way more effecient pedaling than any other long travel bike I have ever ridden. And the "added weight" of a floating brake arm is not at all noticable.

i don't know which virtual pivot bikes you have ridden either, if any at all. for all i know you could have never even tried a virtual point bike, but then again, for all i know you could have tried them all.

anyways

i've ridden many single pivot bikes, i've never ridden a foes though, so i can't argue specifically on your bikes case.

but efficiency is also influenced by other things. the shock contributes to the efficiency. It may have been the shock on your bike that made it feel efficient, or maybe the position of the pivot on a fly's frame to reduce chain shrink/growth, or a combination of both. but according to the laws of physics, single picot frame is less efficient for pedaling then a vp frame.

but w/e, i'm not arguing whether your bike specifically is efficient or not, cause i've never even tried it myself so i can't have an opinion on that, but you can't argue the fact that generally single pivot bikes are less efficient then virtual pivot bikes.

Posted: Dec 22, 2007 at 18:13 Quote
photo

trust me....go with the kona

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017083
Mobile Version of Website