Powered by Outside

Torn between high end DH bikes (shocker, socom, jedi, etc)

PB Forum :: Downhill
Torn between high end DH bikes (shocker, socom, jedi, etc)
Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:57 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:
You could of course always start queuing for the new DW Turner DHR. You could also look into a Yeti 303. Look, most high-end DH bikes are great in their own right. Have a look if you can test ride friend's or demo bikes and decide for yourself. If you're going to be hard on the bike stay away from the Socom. Its not built for bike park and shuttling abuse. The tubing dents quite easily too.

i buy high end stuff but used Big Grin

I feel your pain...If you're not too concerned about weight you could always look at a Glory. Great performance, freerideable, very strong and sell dirt cheap second hand.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 6:57 Quote
seen as youre in america commencal supreme dh would be pretty unique

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 7:02 Quote
stryke wrote:
seen as youre in america commencal supreme dh would be pretty unique

technically a single pivot though...

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 7:02 Quote
..also technically one of the highest rated bikes coming out for next year, geo is spot on, linkage is great, weight is good. what more do you want?

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 7:12 Quote
I like it (well, I find it a bit ugly but anyway)! But the creator of the thread said "no single pivots".

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 7:22 Quote
Out of your options, I would vote for the Canfield, if you can find one. They are just simply amazing bikes.

Here is my buddies Formula 1...
photo

The geo is great and they can take one heck of a beating. Good luck in your search. I wouldn't limit yourself so much though. If you are looking for high end bikes, nearly every company makes a great one.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 7:29 Quote
photo

go for the shocker its a great bike, i love mine and the weight isnt a big deal unless ur a huge weight weenie cuz mines around 41.5 pounds

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 7:33 Quote
climbingbubba wrote:
the v10 is too much bike, i like the cleaner look of the socom, sunday, and shocker. i also like to jump and huck and the v10 seems like it wouldn't be as good for that.

i have had plenty of single pivots in the past. since this will be a plow bike i want a rearward axle path for the nasty rock gardens.

i should add that i am 6 feet tall with long arms, i weigh about 180ish all geared up, ive hit up to 20 foot gaps but want to go bigger, i want to get faster on the rough stuff.

I would have to disagree here. The V10 has a 67 HT angle, which is better for hucking than slacker angles. Also, about being too much bike, the V10 can be built VERY light. A friend of mine had one built at 35 pounds (with lightweight tires/tubes albeit). Although I can't speak from personal ownership experience, it seems like it would be really good balance between DH and freeride.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 7:35 Quote
it doesnt have a 67 degree head angle when you use 35-40% of travel for the vpp to feel good

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 7:39 Quote
Brooklyn Race Link could be another option that falls in the unique category.
Or nearly anything from Karpiel

Just throwing some options out for you.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 7:39 Quote
get a Zumbi F44 or a banshee Legend instead
photo

Genuine made in Poland

photo

Genuine made in Taiwan

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 8:05 Quote
By the sounds of what you will be using it for, i'd go for the shocker......

or, just to put a spanner in the works
photo

adjustable geometry and travel so you can set it up for big hucks etc or DH.... also, burley as.

just an idea.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 9:18 Quote
thanks guys,

yeah like i said more than once now, I DONT WANT A SINGLE PIVOT i am in no way bad mouthing them but i want a plow bike. something i can hit square hits with and not worry. i have owned 3 single pivot bikes and one vpp. even with this shorter travel vpp bike i like the suspension more.

my brother rides a karpiel disco. its right there with the v10 for squishy.

i really wish i could find a canfield jedi used. sweet looking bikes.

maybe ill look into the Giant DH more. im looking to spend under 2500 complete or under 1500 for a fraome, obviously used.

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 9:29 Quote
lifeonhigh wrote:
Brooklyn Race Link could be another option that falls in the unique category.
Or nearly anything from Karpiel

Just throwing some options out for you.

sadly i see brooklyn race links quite often here in utah. there are a few guys who ride them at my local resort.
side note, check out superco's new dh bike. looks identical to the BMW race link. (i guess cause doc broke off bmw to start superco)

Posted: Nov 26, 2008 at 9:33 Quote
timlake wrote:
Orange 224.
+1 for orange 224 the new 09 one has a slightly different singing are set up to 08 so it doesn't have the big gap problem the 08 one has, the problem with the 08 one is that the ratio changed to wards the stroke making it harder to tune the shock right for enough end of stroke dampening where as the new one doesn't drop of so much and being orange it will be bomb prof.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014587
Mobile Version of Website