Powered by Outside

What is the smallest front sprocket?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
What is the smallest front sprocket?
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 14:20 Quote
for a mtb, the normal ratio is 1:2, so the smallest for that would be like 10:20, thats if it clears your frame

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 14:24 Quote
nepali wrote:
for a mtb, the normal ratio is 1:2, so the smallest for that would be like 10:20, thats if it clears your frame
i think it should ill mock it up tonight sometime

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 14:30 Quote
If you put a bmx gearing on 26 inch wheels. 9 tooth hub on the back and 22/20 tooth on the front. It would be a lot harder to get moving due to the extra circumference of the wheels.

but then if you are running 25 12 it would be pritty simaler because it is -3 teeth front and back.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 14:33 Quote
i have a 23t on my mtb.. you dont need anything smaller that that... profile gets down to like 18 but thats just stupid unless your doing trials

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 14:43 Quote
Get one of those set ups that the trials riders use if you wanna go really small. Where it freewheels on the bottom bracket instead of on the rear wheel. Then you can go as small as you like on the rear and go tiny on the front too. If you have the problem with the bmx bottom bracket being too big for the size cups of the trials bikes then DMR do a kit that reduces BMX bottom brackets down to MTB size cups.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 14:56 Quote
You have Primo knockoffs? I think running a 28t or smaller sprocket on them requires mods..a regular bmx crank accepts down to 23t, but there's few material between the mounting hole and the teeth...for anything smaller than that you'll have to buy cranks with micro-gearing mounts...

Why do you want so small, the smaller, the faster they wear..

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 16:44 Quote
cooper-xl wrote:
You have Primo knockoffs? I think running a 28t or smaller sprocket on them requires mods..a regular bmx crank accepts down to 23t, but there's few material between the mounting hole and the teeth...for anything smaller than that you'll have to buy cranks with micro-gearing mounts...

Why do you want so small, the smaller, the faster they wear..
yes knockoffs, they are identical without the primo logo. came stock on the 07 250.

Posted: Dec 3, 2008 at 16:49 Quote
norcbot wrote:
but then if you are running 25 12 it would be pritty simaler because it is -3 teeth front and back.

It doesn't work that way.

Posted: Jun 12, 2011 at 12:33 Quote
okay hope i help i have a 18 tooth front sprocket and a 9 tooth rear and its really usefull to have one this small because it is easy to go down ramps with (BMX)

Posted: Aug 18, 2011 at 7:32 Quote
woowoo wrote:
44 is quite a big sprocket. You can find pretty small ones im sure. but 25 seems pretty reasonable size. that way you have a bit of leverage on your back ratio because i think 12 is the smallest tooth you can use on a normal mountainbike hub.

dunno if anyone has said this already and cant be bothered to check but the smallest on a mtb hub for example a hope pro2 is 11t

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.515833
Mobile Version of Website