straitline or 5050xx pedal

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
straitline or 5050xx pedal
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 2:29 Quote
apparently the 50/50's are good once you change the pins for grub screws

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 3:11 Quote
i know like 3 people that have 50/50 and they fell apart and it doesnt have much grip. get speedplays(drillium) there super gripy

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 3:24 Quote
mmmm touch decision!! i would go 5050

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 10:09 Quote
oh god, straightline HANDS DOWN!!!! best pedal i have ever ridden.

Posted: Nov 5, 2007 at 10:51 Quote
As some one who owns both this is an absurd question. I have two pairs of 50/50 XXs and they are the worst pedal I have ever used. I bent one spindle, broke two bodies, and destroyed a set of bearings. They lose pins all the time no matter what you do and the grip is terrible even with the grub screws. They are also heavy and too thick. Both the bearings and million pieces are very high maintenance. Worst though is the three-piece body flexes a LOT. You can actually feel the pedal body flex when you push into them. Crank Bros customer service is great though. They have replaced them no questions asked every time. Even when I told them I bent a spindle "landing a 10 foot drop on my 7" FR bike". Great company with lots of great products but 50/50s BLOW.

I have one pair of Straitline pedals and they are the best pedal I have ever used. (I've used a LOT of pedals in the last 12 years) They are smooth but don't spin freely (good). They are ZERO maintenance. They have the perfect amount of grip. They are thin. They are bombproof. They are beautiful. The pin design is awesome. They are pretty light. There really isn't a single weakness. Straitline is also easily the best company I've ever dealt with in years of riding and working in shops. Every person I know who has dealt with them says the same thing. I have zero doubt that if anything ever happened to them Straitline would take care of me at least as well as CB.

PLEASE take my advice and don't waste your money on 50/50s.

BTW: The finish on Straitlines is at least as durable but if that's really a concern for you then maybe you should take up road biking.

Posted: Dec 22, 2010 at 13:24 Quote
Don't get 5050's, i bought some XX's and within days the bearings seized and the pedals locked up, they also provided little grip in the wet and even though i had lock-tighted the pins in many of them fell out, and the plates came loose really quickly and often, don't buy them just because they look cool!!!

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 10:32 Quote
OllyV1995 wrote:
Don't get 5050's, i bought some XX's and within days the bearings seized and the pedals locked up, they also provided little grip in the wet and even though i had lock-tighted the pins in many of them fell out, and the plates came loose really quickly and often, don't buy them just because they look cool!!!

Errrrrrrr, this conversation kinda died in 2007 Olly, where you been?Big Grin That aside you are right 50/50 are shit, I had a pair, had Straightline for over a year now, awesome, just locktite the pins in or they will vibrate out unless your a roadie of course (joke)

FL
Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 10:54 Quote
how is this even a question?
straightline anyday

Posted: Dec 23, 2010 at 11:37 Quote
How is this even a thread? it died in 2007

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013824
Mobile Version of Website