What all mountain wheelset do you ride with and how does it climb?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What all mountain wheelset do you ride with and how does it climb?
Posted: Jan 2, 2009 at 8:26 Quote
gordanfreman wrote:
yep 819's have special nipple sockets that thread into the rim to hold your nipples in place. these should come with the rim, however the tool you need to properly thread these in will probably not, so you may need to either buy the tool or get your LBS to help you out at least while lacing the wheels.

that said, i wouldn't worry about it. 819's are a great rim and would be my first recommendation for what you're looking for. i plan on using a pair for my AM hardtail build this spring; will by my second wheelset using 819's.

Great and thanks! I just ordered the tool M40630 from my LBS. I don't know why I couldn't find info on this damn thing before. As soon as I searched for 'sockets + eyelets' at Jenson it popped up.... Thanks.

Take care.
A.

Posted: Jan 3, 2009 at 20:27 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
2nd set is 819s on pro2s and DT triple butted spokes, Ardent rear, hutchinson front. Light, to say the least. ...

Sorry to disect your posts but I wanted to see exactly which Hutchinson you were running up front?? Any issues with drifting or washing out in any conditions? Does that front hold a line in loose rock pretty well? Slickrock and hard pack singletrack also?

Thanks again for the previous in-depth response. I was looking at the tread patterning of that Ardent and it looks like it would be a great rear speed demon at 2.1.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 6:00 Quote
Hope Pro's II on DT 5.1d or Mavic EN 521 with 1.8-2.0 spokes, both 28mm wide - strong enought for FR and great accelleration. You gonna endup with around 2kg wheelset.
Sam Hill uses 5.1d rims on his Iron Horse.

For tires go for something weighting not more than 700g: Kenda Nevegal, Pana Rampage, Conti Vertival, Schwalbe Nobby Nic's - all great!
I managed to build a 30lb bike with TALAS 36 in front and the wheel setup mentioned and it rolls very well!

Posted: Jan 4, 2009 at 17:42 Quote
kovaldesign wrote:
Hope Pro's II on DT 5.1d or Mavic EN 521 with 1.8-2.0 spokes, both 28mm wide - strong enought for FR and great accelleration. You gonna endup with around 2kg wheelset.

For tires go for something weighting not more than 700g: Kenda Nevegal, Pana Rampage, Conti Vertival, Schwalbe Nobby Nic's - all great!
I managed to build a 30lb bike with TALAS 36 in front and the wheel setup mentioned and it rolls very well!

Thanks! I've heard mixed reviews on the Conti Verticals with almost all of them claiming that their 2.35 is closer to a 1.8 or 2.1. I might look at the Rampage as I've always been impressed with Panaracer's stuff both on road and off.

Take care,
Andrew.

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 9:35 Quote
I run Mavic EX792s on hope Pro IIs, with a maxxis minion Dhr at the back and Tioga factory Dh on the front, this set up is really heavy but i quite like it, i've never gonna damage the wheels, they're so strong. It climbs fairly well, you get good traction due to the mass but you can get much easier set ups. A mate is running pro II with EX823 with bontrager ust tubes, super light set up and pretty strong

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 9:37 Quote
neex wrote:
kovaldesign wrote:

Thanks! I've heard mixed reviews on the Conti Verticals with almost all of them claiming that their 2.35 is closer to a 1.8 or 2.1. I might look at the Rampage as I've always been impressed with Panaracer's stuff both on road and off.

Take care,
Andrew.

I've recently stopped using conti verticals as it just wasn't strong enough for me, i got soo many flats with them. However, i loved how they handled! I might try the protection version soon

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 9:44 Quote
neex wrote:
Hummeroid wrote:
2nd set is 819s on pro2s and DT triple butted spokes, Ardent rear, hutchinson front. Light, to say the least. ...

Sorry to disect your posts but I wanted to see exactly which Hutchinson you were running up front?? Any issues with drifting or washing out in any conditions? Does that front hold a line in loose rock pretty well? Slickrock and hard pack singletrack also?

Thanks again for the previous in-depth response. I was looking at the tread patterning of that Ardent and it looks like it would be a great rear speed demon at 2.1.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Hutchinsons rock. I love their large volume. My favorite tread was the old Aligator which I bought a substantial stock of when I found they were discontinued. I did see them re-emerge under a new name though.

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 22:12 Quote
just got my new wheels yay!
hope 2 pros with DT competition 2-1.8mm spokes, which seems to be a very common starting point.

laced to Halo Freedom Disks. 28mm wide at 545g lightish but with a nice deep profile. that 4X racing POD the other day had them.https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/2832072/

havent had a real chance to run them in but i'll be going tubeless 2.3 conti gravity front and 2.3 veritcal protection rear. should be a winner

Posted: Jan 7, 2009 at 22:49 Quote
Hadley racing hubs laced to mavic 719 with dt spokes. Real sweet!! 20 mm hub and 135 bolt rear hub. Stiffest wheels I have ever ridden.

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 17:26 Quote
put in a few hours of trail riding on the new halo freedom/hope 2 pros

i was suprised in the difference in acceleration n climbing compared to my single tracks. i didnt think i would notice all that much change, i hadnt ridin properly in a few weeks and i was charging the hills

Posted: Jan 27, 2009 at 19:22 Quote
I know this is likely against the policy of this site but the deals are too good to pass on. If anyone is looking for Conti XC/AM/FR UST rubber, check this place out!
http://www.phattire.com/tirac.html. You will save almost half price on the clinchers and still a boat load on the USTs. I picked up the Mountain King 2.2/2.4 USTs so if anyone is interested, I will let you know what I think once they're put through the paces. Those mavic 819s are one sweet rim. I'm glad you guys helped steer me that way.

Take care and be well.
A.

Posted: Jan 28, 2009 at 9:28 Quote
King 20mm front
King HD rear bolt-on
Arrow FRX rims
Wheelsmith spokes and nipples

Not the lightest wheels out there, but after almost three years of trail riding, jumping, casing jumps, crashing and whatnot, I have never had to true these wheels and the rims are as straight as when I first laced them up. Although they do have a few deep gouges here and there.

It's also kinda' neat to have a wheelset completely US made.

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 16:24 Quote
looking at getting a pair of halo freedom wheels (spin doctor hubs) any one ridden these? how do these pedal and climb compaired to other similair strength/price wheels?Smile

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 4:53 Quote
jamien141 wrote:
looking at getting a pair of halo freedom wheels (spin doctor hubs) any one ridden these? how do these pedal and climb compaired to other similair strength/price wheels?Smile

Climbing and acceleration efficiency is down to the wheels weight. With Halo Freedoom wheelset at about 2200g you will definitely go faster than on other heavier Halo products but you will not beat the Hope Hoops (Pro II/DT 5.1D) or similar which come under 2000g. For the price, the 2.2kg wheelset is not a bad purchase.
I had many heavier wheels than that in the past and from my experience I can say that if you have strong legs those 200g will not make any difference.

Depends of the riding style you do it may be that you will benefit more from stronger rather than lighter wheels and likewise, so you always need too ask yourself what type of biker are you.

Posted: Feb 6, 2009 at 5:17 Quote
kovaldesign wrote:
jamien141 wrote:

Climbing and acceleration efficiency is down to the wheels weight. With Halo Freedoom wheelset at about 2200g you will definitely go faster than on other heavier Halo products but you will not beat the Hope Hoops (Pro II/DT 5.1D) or similar which come under 2000g. For the price, the 2.2kg wheelset is not a bad purchase.
I had many heavier wheels than that in the past and from my experience I can say that if you have strong legs those 200g will not make any difference.

Depends of the riding style you do it may be that you will benefit more from stronger rather than lighter wheels and likewise, so you always need too ask yourself what type of biker are you.
thanks that helps loads....a friend might be selling some cheap and i was originally going to save up for the hope/dt 5.1 but as you say its only 200g which i could easily save elswere or just get somne bigger legslol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.029486
Mobile Version of Website