PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Job Thread
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2009 at 20:29 Quote
coldfusion wrote:
me1223 wrote:
I would argue that it's very difficult to get a job when you are under 16

+1 on that. I can't get a good paying job because I'm not 18 yet, thus not a legal adult. Because of that instead of getting payed 18/20/hour I work in a shithole for min wage Thumbs Down

I guess it all depends on were you live.
Definitely. Most of the young kids get hired by local businesses, and as you go up in size of the chain, the older the people that work there are. I am legally allowed to work, all you need is written parental consent, and an SI number.

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 12:36 Quote
ginj wrote:
he just meant that in the uk you have to be 16 to get a job (other than paper round which is 16) unless you work undeclared.
and even then the minimum wage for 16 year olds is £3.55 or $5.40 Blank Stare

Not exactly. You are able to work uninsured at your boss's discretion from age 14+. But once you get your national insurance card you can work anywhere where the job does not have an age limit for safety reasons. I have worked at my local bike shop for many months now, and had no problem getting the job. I simply showed interest in bikes, showed good etiquette and gained their trust. I didn't even have to ask for the job, they asked me. Now I am a mechanic, and am doing Cytech engineering courses. By the time I'm 17 I will be fully qualified and have a full time job waiting when I finish school.

Before my first job I had a paper round, I quit it due to customers refusing to pay. After that I bought vast amounts of sweets (Mars bars, Snickers, Twix... etc.) and sold them on at 50p each. I made sure that I made 100% profit on each pack, and I made anywhere from £10-£25 profit per day. 5 days a week. This paid for my bike and most of it's upgrades.

After I was stopped from selling sweets due to legality issues, I asked around for jobs. It was hard, but I finally got a job working on a hot food and beverages trailer at concerts. I only worked one concert but made £300. And got to go to Glastonbury for free.

If you have determination and confidence, you'll get a job.

Posted: Jan 12, 2009 at 16:30 Quote
im 12 turning 13 in a month.
i bought my skanky (stinky) for 1200m used 6 months ago. before that i worked in the spring for grandparents dad. i sold my bike my dad bike and some crap i had laying around it just wasnt like sell this i had to clean and box and that takes awhile more then you would just think. it took me about 1.5 months and now 6 months later from money that i work up latly ive put another 700 into it. but it wasnt just like heres money. this wasnt neer my bday or xmas this was all my owm money. my dad was just knew to bikeing he bought a coiler. he told me ya ill buy your bike (thinking it was like 500 dollars) then once he found out how expensive it was he was like no your saving up the money. i was mad at him but as i look back now it was the best lesson. because it makes you feel good that its yours. my older brothers and sister did not get this lesson and i have more stuff then them and they can legally work. i have always been a hard worker but i bought everything by myself... ofcourse my dad helped me by giving me his 1990's crap bike to sell for ebay but that was only about 100 dollars. i bought everyhthing else myself
mike

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 8:39 Quote
I'm 16 and i work at tim hortons for $8.20 an hour.

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 8:40 Quote
BRuckus07 wrote:
YOU COULD SUE THEM! thats bellow min-wage

Posted: Jan 14, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
hahaleon wrote:
BRuckus07 wrote:
YOU COULD SUE THEM! thats bellow min-wage
Yeah I Would have done that already, they go by student wage for a 16 yr old. if ur 18,19,20 and still in school you get paid $8.75 or whatever minimum wahe is.

Posted: May 31, 2009 at 18:39 Quote
need a job for a 16yr old, any ideas?

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012682
Mobile Version of Website