Powered by Outside

Shiver, how old is too old?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shiver, how old is too old?
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 at 12:14 Quote
I'm not sure of the price yet. He wants 250, but there's no way I am paying that much for it. Atleast, not if it is in fact 100% 2001.

Mod
Posted: Jan 18, 2009 at 12:18 Quote
Some of the later production '01 Shiver forks did have stanction guard mounts. Mine was an OEM (came on an RM9) and was early production and did not have the stanction guard mounts/holes. Therefore, I just ran some Lizard Skin neoprene inverted guards. Also, the 2000 and 2001 Shivers were the only ones with the anodized red axle clamps. From 2002 on, they were all black. It is definitely either a 2000 or 2001. Also, these years were the only Shiver forks with the gold/bronze colored uppers.

Different crowns can be attributed to the original ones either not being sold with the fork, a short steer tube not fitting his bike, cracked crown, etc. All of which would require a new set of crowns and since the Shiver's design was relatively unchanged through its production runs, the parts are interchangeable. The '01 stanctions were 35mm so that is relatively large. There was a picture in Dirt from UK that had an '01 Shiver with guards on it but mine didn't.

'01 Shiver
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.marzocchi.com/System/2938/2001-SHIVER-w_1.jpg

Posted: Jan 18, 2009 at 12:26 Quote
OK, so unless I find out and have proof that the internals were upgraded to the HSCV internals, or I get the fork for one hell of a price, I am going to steer away. Even if it does have the upgraded internals, it's still going to have to be a damn good price.

Thanks for the info.

Posted: Jan 18, 2009 at 12:27 Quote
i want to put in a useless comment

the fork should be fine if you wheelie drop off skinnies to flat.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 16:38 Quote
Well, I went and picked up this Shiver tonight, taking it apart Friday to find out what it's got for guts. He already lowered the price to 200, he needs it gone asap because he's got a 40 on the way.

The fork is in really good condition, not a mark on either stanchion, rebound adjustments work as they should, fork is extremely plush.

It all depends on what is in it for guts.

I also got a hold of the previous owner, and it was sent in in 05 and got new crowns, stanchions, and internals.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 16:41 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Well, I went and picked up this Shiver tonight, taking it apart Friday to find out what it's got for guts. He already lowered the price to 200, he needs it gone asap because he's got a 40 on the way.

The fork is in really good condition, not a mark on either stanchion, rebound adjustments work as they should, fork is extremely plush.

I also got a hold of the previous owner, and it was sent in in 05 and got new crowns, stanchions, and internals.

soundslike you got a nicely working fork then Wink

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 16:51 Quote
Heres to hoping. It certainly feels like an ultra plush/beefy version of my super T, but internals don't lie so we will find out for sure on Friday.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 16:59 Quote
igz- wrote:
I wouldn't run it. Old as hell, who knows how well it was maintained, heavy as f*ck, Marzocchi... hah

What do you mean "Marzocchi... hah"?

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 17:04 Quote
whitedeitypurpleskinnies wrote:
igz- wrote:
I wouldn't run it. Old as hell, who knows how well it was maintained, heavy as f*ck, Marzocchi... hah

WUT do you mean "Marzocchi... hah"?

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 17:11 Quote
igz- wrote:

It's a pre-07 model. therefore it is a fine, reliable fork.

EDIT: was he joking? I think he was Big Grin

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 17:15 Quote
hamina777 wrote:
igz- wrote:

It's a pre-07 model. therefore it is a fine, reliable fork.

EDIT: was he joking? I think he was Big Grin

I love Marzocchi.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 17:18 Quote
I was talking about igz.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 17:21 Quote
hamina777 wrote:
I was talking about igz.

Ok, sorry.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 at 17:22 Quote
OK ladies, lets get this back on track shall we.

Posted: Jan 22, 2009 at 12:36 Quote
jonbikes wrote:

so even though almost everyone on the thread told you why to not buy it you went ahead and did it anyway?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.593243
Mobile Version of Website