Powered by Outside

66 or totem?

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 19:34 Quote
depends on how much your willing to spend. not to familiar with the new dampening systems seeing iv been pleased with the rc2x. RC3 is the top of the line one though. check the marz website and look up the reviews on mtbr for some more insight.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 20:02 Quote
freerider49 wrote:
saturnine wrote:
depends what year the 66 is. and also: what bike, what type of riding, etc

i have a 05' big hit FSR and i am looking at an 09' 66 or 08'.

then go with a totem i have ridden them both and the totem is a better foork for that bike and there is no maintenance needed

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 20:02 Quote
i had an 06 66 RC2X that was very reliable and felt really good for over a year with little maintenance. After an unfortunate incident that resulted in a bent steerer tube, i replaced it with a totem solo air, and haven't looked back. its easier to work with, stiffer, a little lighter, and feels awesome. However, I predict it will need more regular maintenance.

Its really a matter of preference. Performance or set it and forget it? your call.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 20:05 Quote
CaptainBLT wrote:
i had an 06 66 RC2X that was very reliable and felt really good for over a year with little maintenance. After an unfortunate incident that resulted in a bent steerer tube, i replaced it with a totem solo air, and haven't looked back. its easier to work with, stiffer, a little lighter, and feels awesome. However, I predict it will need more regular maintenance.

Its really a matter of preference. Performance or set it and forget it? your call.

i agree

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 20:12 Quote
I've always been a marzo fan, my '05 66RC has performed flawlessly with absolutely no maintenance. Totems are popular so RS has to be doing SOMETHING right with them.

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 20:16 Quote
photo

photo

iv had both. a 2007 66 ata rc2 and a 2008 totem solo air

i liked both, but i have to say that the totem is superior. i love it. its smoother, plusher, stiffer, and overall i just like it more. i had them both set up pefectly for my weight, and the totem wins.

hope it helps. but the 66 was good aswell. just dont get 2008-2009 marzochhi. there have been tones of problems with them.

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 20:17 Quote
suspensionguy wrote:
then go with a totem i have ridden them both and the totem is a better foork for that bike and there is no maintenance needed

there is regular scheduled maintanance involved with the totem...speedlube comes to mind....among various other maintenance requirements from 10, 25, 50, and 100 hours

O+
Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
My 08 totem coil has worked flawlessly for me.
I happen to be selling it....

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 23:23 Quote
personaly for me the 66 would win hands down, marzo has alwasy been the choice to go with for me. RS needs more repairs and servicing, all though they do tend to perform better on the trails. i almost never see a marzo fork leaking with no scratchs on them, as for RS and fox i see it alot. seems like both of them need new seals yearly under heavy amounts of riding. my 03 super t only leaks a SMALL amount and its been raped, guess the last owner had a nice crash in a rock garden. he called it regular wear and tear.

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 23:46 Quote
I personally prefer the Zocchi but I have ridden the coil Totem a bit and can say that they're very much on par with one another. They're both really great forks. I dont think you'll be disappointed with either. The totem will be a bit stiffer but I like the feel of the Zocchi much better than RockShox. The 66 RC3 is just a really good fork in my opinion... A lot of that is my personal preference though as I've ridden lots of Zocchs and usually tend to lean that way unless something is just way better, TALAS vs ATA for example.

On that note, whomever asked about the Fox 36's... they're great forks but not on par with either the totem or the 66. Much more geared towards aggressive all mountain than freeriding, they just arent as beefy or as stiff as either the 66 or the totem. I'd highly reommend 36's for all mountain rides, all the 36's are great and the 36 TALAS RC2 is really something special... but I wouldnt run anything other than a 66 or Totem for a single crown freeride bike. Really great forks, just not quite enough beef for freeriding.

O+
Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 10:15 Quote
i personnally think you should get the manitou travis single crown

Posted: Mar 9, 2009 at 10:40 Quote
suspensionguy wrote:
i personnally think you should get the manitou travis single crown

haa

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014809
Mobile Version of Website