Powered by Outside

Broken collar bone due to neckbrace

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Broken collar bone due to neckbrace
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 17, 2009 at 11:51 Quote
bikeflightactics wrote:
I just broke my collar bone 2 weeks agoRolleyes , and I had to have surgery 1 week ago to get a metal plate to hold it together. I'm already riding again, not jumping though, just riding. And doing a ton of heavy building, and digging and whatnot.I've been digging a lot just to pass the time and rebuild strength in my shoulder. It wasn't that bad. I thought i was gonna have to wear a sling for three weeks and not be able to ride for 6. But surprisingly, I could take the sling off 4 days after surgery. and I stopped taking pain pills within 72 hrs after the surgery(and i got a crapload leftBig Grin ). I have to go to the doctor this coming friday and he should be able to clear me to start driving/riding/jumping again and that would all be within 3 weeks since it happened(happened on the first)

by the way the metal plate's not permanant. It comes out in 4 months.
i might have to get one in 6 weeks, went to the ortho surgeaon today and he said i prob wont need it but it depends on how it heals so i wont be ridin for 12 weeksMadder

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 12:06 Quote
nishnash wrote:
I personally would rather have a broken collar bone than a broken neck. And also the idea behind a neckbrace is to displace force, it has to go somewhere...
i know it did its job but is there anything out there that pretects collar bones?

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 12:10 Quote
raceface319 wrote:
nishnash wrote:
I personally would rather have a broken collar bone than a broken neck. And also the idea behind a neckbrace is to displace force, it has to go somewhere...
i know it did its job but is there anything out there that pretects collar bones?
Armour.... But even with armour nothing is going to stop the Force from being transferred to your collar bone from your neckbrace.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 12:14 Quote
kd12 wrote:
You are going to be let off the hook this time for your spelling because I am going to assume you are in a sling. If not, thats something to work on while your out...Cant say anything regarding neck braces, but for time just play games, do something constructive. Like dancing....
Dancing with a broken collar bone? Screw that!

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 12:17 Quote
I broke mine at otter last year and it still bugs me at times. but yeah, neck braces brake collar bones, it sucks but that's how it is.
I really like my leatt brace.

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 17:32 Quote
j-peters wrote:
I broke mine at otter last year and it still bugs me at times. but yeah, neck braces brake collar bones, it sucks but that's how it is.

ive heard leatts brake them more than any other braces

Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 17:37 Quote
nishnash wrote:
not true, braking your neck doesent have to do with force it has to do with your neck bending ways it shouldnt, a neck brace will create force and take the risk of bending your neck till it snaps

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 19, 2009 at 17:46 Quote
kawiracer52 wrote:
nishnash wrote:
not true, braking your neck doesent have to do with force it has to do with your neck bending ways it shouldnt, a neck brace will create force and take the risk of bending your neck till it snaps

Isn't that exactly what he said...just in a different way, and yeah it does have to do with force, that's what bends your neck. Your neck shouldn't bend past a certain point, it will bend that way with force, neck brace stops it, takes the force and throws it onto your collarbone (like in racefaces case) or somewhere else.

And all I did when I was out was play Freerider2, closest thing I could get to riding my bike for 6 weeks.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 9:13 Quote
I read the Alpinestar bionic neck brace has a space around the collar bone to help keep it from breaking.
raceface319 wrote:
bikeflightactics wrote:
I just broke my collar bone 2 weeks agoRolleyes , and I had to have surgery 1 week ago to get a metal plate to hold it together. I'm already riding again, not jumping though, just riding. And doing a ton of heavy building, and digging and whatnot.I've been digging a lot just to pass the time and rebuild strength in my shoulder. It wasn't that bad. I thought i was gonna have to wear a sling for three weeks and not be able to ride for 6. But surprisingly, I could take the sling off 4 days after surgery. and I stopped taking pain pills within 72 hrs after the surgery(and i got a crapload leftBig Grin ). I have to go to the doctor this coming friday and he should be able to clear me to start driving/riding/jumping again and that would all be within 3 weeks since it happened(happened on the first)

by the way the metal plate's not permanant. It comes out in 4 months.
i might have to get one in 6 weeks, went to the ortho surgeaon today and he said i prob wont need it but it depends on how it heals so i wont be ridin for 12 weeksMadder

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 9:15 Quote
I Read a review on the Alpinestar Bionic neck brace, they have a space around the collar bone to help avoid it from breaking upon a impact. But it isnt cheap.

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 9:24 Quote
raceface319 wrote:
j-peters wrote:

ive heard leatts brake them more than any other braces

that is bs. i borrowed this forum post from irishdh, so no one gets silly thoughts in their heads.

from irishdh forum:

There is no evidence to suggest that the use of a Leatt Brace increases the chances of collarbone injuries.

The Leatt Brace (when properly fitted and worn) actually sits above and a good bit away from the collarbones with approximately a 5cm gap between the brace and collarbones. See the below picture -

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/7506/leatt001et1.jpg

If anyone crashes hard enough to manage to get their Leatt Brace to move downward by 5cm and come in contact with and put enough pressure on either of their collarbones for the bone to break then I think the broken collarbone would be the least of their worries. I think in order to compress the brace by the required amount to come in contact and break your collarbone you would need to jump out of a tree and land vertically on your head. The brace contacts your chest, tops of both shoulders and the top of your back. I've heard of people who have had a serious crash and that ended up with severe bruising in these areas but apart from the bruising and some cuts and bruises elsewhere they walked away unharmed. They said that had they not been wearing the brace that they were sure they wouldn't have walked away unharmed. The bruising proves that the brace did it's job by alternating the load path from the head and away from the neck.

Broken collarbones are generally a simple injury, often not requiring medical intervention (operation) and you can usually be back in action in around 4-6 weeks. Even if the use of a Leatt Brace did increase the chances of collarbone injuries (which it doesn't), I personally would gladly take a broken collarbone over a spinal injury any day.

Another point I'd like to make is that there are many people out there using Leatt Braces but do not have them adjusted and fitted correctly, I suppose it's a bit like having a top of the range helmet but leaving the strap undone... Correct fitment is vital for the brace to work properly and do it's job. Check these two videos out for correct fitting instructions -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2FLIKGI2J8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m53NRq0gk

O+
Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 9:31 Quote
raceface319 wrote:
nishnash wrote:

If you don't mind loosing some agility then this should do the trick:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.jasoncross.com/images/etc/bearsuit.jpg

Posted: Aug 7, 2009 at 9:50 Quote
trevorwg wrote:
raceface319 wrote:
nishnash wrote:

If you don't mind loosing some agility then this should do the trick:
Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.jasoncross.com/images/etc/bearsuit.jpg

where do you get these?

Posted: Aug 10, 2009 at 16:31 Quote
Those were hillarious.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013778
Mobile Version of Website