Powered by Outside

I painted my frame and used primer and light coats and stuff but the paint comes off so easy!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
I painted my frame and used primer and light coats and stuff but the paint comes off so easy!
  • Next Page
Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 20:47 Quote
How old was the primer that you used?? Old primer can do that as well.

Posted: Nov 18, 2007 at 20:51 Quote
wheadon wrote:
hi i just painted my 2006 p1 frame and used automotive paint. i sanded the bike completely down and then put on a few coats of primer. then i put lots of light coats of paint then put on 2 coats of clearcoat. this took me a week and a half to get the paint off and paint it.......but the paint CHIPS OFF AND I CAN SCRAPE IT FOF WITH MY FINGERNAIL!!!!!, anyone have an explanation?. i did it in my basement so it was warm and i didnt touch it its been hanging the whole time

did you use sandpaper to sand the shine out of the primer?? you have to do that. take like 300-500 grit and sand the shine out of the primer.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 5:25 Quote
Hummeroid wrote:
Its not just about sanding and such, you might need whts called a self-etching primer, etches the metal a little to stick better, ive had the same thing happen, and it was fixed with etching primer. Yes its "just spray paint", and yes i do auto body work with real spray guns and such, and i still condone spray cans for bikes :-)

Isn't there a product that removes any film and wax to prep the material for finishing?? I was aware of the self-etching primers as I was going to repaint my frame but left it Bare aluminium.

O+
Posted: Nov 19, 2007 at 5:41 Quote
cookie23 wrote:
i just painted my frame with tremclad paint, took my time and it turned out great.
i sanded the frame, and cleand it with engine cleaner (gas also works)
the key was to let each coat cure at least 24 hours under direct heat.

o ya, i used no primer, 4 coats paint, 2 coats clear
dude i used the same company,,its cheap and it doesnt scrape off like alot of the other spray paints..though i have never painted my whole bike i have mearly painted a few parts on it

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 10:01 Quote
did you use wax and grease remover on a tack rag?? if not then sand you whole bike down. go down to your local paint shop...ask for tack rags and wax and grease remover...wipe down your whole frame with that then use your primer...once your done the coats of primer the sand it with fine sandpaper. then paint it. let it dry then clearcoat the paint and let it dry for a day and a half maybe 2 days.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.824477
Mobile Version of Website