Powered by Outside

Stumpjumper into DH

• Next Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 at 4:36 Quote
almightybenners wrote:
well a stumpy could easily take downhill trails if used carefully and you dont start hucking on it... just get some larger 7/8 inch rotors and maybe a travel adjust through axel fork like a pike or lyric then get some stronger rims and some more agressive tires a shorter stem (80mm) and it should make handle fairly nicely

and to everyone else it wasnt that long ago that dh bikes had less travel than a xc racebike so the 120mm travel stumpy should be fine

Bear in mind his Stumpy is 6 years old so it's not anything like today's one. Those things would help, but I think it's just wasted money. You could get a used DH bike for the price of all that stuff and still have the Stumpy for XC. Those components will not make it a DH bike, and the geometry, frame sizing and strength, suspension, etc. will not be designed for and up to par with that of any DH bike. And for the record, you would need something like a 40mm stem to make it ridable for anything pointing downhill.

And yes, about 10 years ago DH bikes had less travel that XC bikes, but that just isn't a valid agrument any more. The type of riding done today doesn't even resemble closely to what people were doing 10 years ago. A decade ago they were just going down fireroads, which is what XCers are doing today.

FL
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 at 4:40 Quote
SpikeX wrote:
almightybenners wrote:
well a stumpy could easily take downhill trails if used carefully and you dont start hucking on it... just get some larger 7/8 inch rotors and maybe a travel adjust through axel fork like a pike or lyric then get some stronger rims and some more agressive tires a shorter stem (80mm) and it should make handle fairly nicely

and to everyone else it wasnt that long ago that dh bikes had less travel than a xc racebike so the 120mm travel stumpy should be fine

Bear in mind his Stumpy is 6 years old so it's not anything like today's one. Those things would help, but I think it's just wasted money. You could get a used DH bike for the price of all that stuff and still have the Stumpy for XC. Those components will not make it a DH bike, and the geometry, frame sizing and strength, suspension, etc. will not be designed for and up to par with that of any DH bike. And for the record, you would need something like a 40mm stem to make it ridable for anything pointing downhill.

And yes, about 10 years ago DH bikes had less travel that XC bikes, but that just isn't a valid agrument any more. The type of riding done today doesn't even resemble closely to what people were doing 10 years ago. A decade ago they were just going down fireroads, which is what XCers are doing today.
have you you ever watched wc xc? the courses are like the dh courses in reverse its brutal! and ok what if he just wants to see what dhing is like? a shorter stem and a set of minions would cost about £60 there sorted

FL
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 at 5:25 Quote
i agree with the last guy, buying a dh bike even second hand could cost like £5-600, and just because the suspension and geometry isnt "perfect" for going down a hill buying some tyres and a stem could at least give him a chance to see what downhill is like without going crazy, and if he likes it, then he can buy a downhill bike.

Posted: Jun 6, 2009 at 5:34 Quote
Ya, I've tried it out for riding other than xc... broken bolts and such. It wasn't a good experience.

Posted: Jun 6, 2009 at 6:08 Quote
almightybenners wrote:
have you you ever watched wc xc? the courses are like the dh courses in reverse its brutal! and ok what if he just wants to see what dhing is like? a shorter stem and a set of minions would cost about £60 there sorted

if he wants to try it out, he should go to a resort and rent a real downhill bike. a shorter stem and some big tires doesn't mean its a downhill bike. enjoy trying to go downhill with XC geometry, its 2x scarier then on a downhill bike and easy to loose control if you lock-up.

FL
Posted: Jun 6, 2009 at 6:14 Quote
odin333 wrote:
almightybenners wrote:

if he wants to try it out, he should go to a resort and rent a real downhill bike. a shorter stem and some big tires doesn't mean its a downhill bike. enjoy trying to go downhill with XC geometry, its 2x scarier then on a downhill bike and easy to loose control if you lock-up.
im fully aware that bigger tyres and a shorter stem dont make it a down hill bike but i run downhill courses on my jumpbike with one back brake and its loads of fun. and it has steeper geo than a 2003 stumpy and do you only ride downhill or something becasue i'm fairly sure that riding downhill on an xc bike is possible... so what if its scarier aswell its an extreme sport its meant to scare you a bit...

Posted: Jun 6, 2009 at 7:44 Quote
odin333 wrote:
almightybenners wrote:

I was about to suggest the same thing.

I have tried DH with an XC bike, in fact I had to do it for a season when I didn't have my Demo yet. It is not a fun experience, and I fell hard a few times due to the tyres (keep in mind you can't put Minions on because they're too wide for the fork and seatstay clearance), long stem, and high seat hight (even as low as it could go). Forget rock gardens and tech sections, they just killed my wrists straight away, sometimes so much so that I couldn't go riding the next day. It's not a good idea to try and covert an XC bike into a DH bike. Don't do it.

Posted: Jun 6, 2009 at 8:19 Quote
Thanks for all the incite. I feel from riding the posts it`s not in my best interest to convert the bike. I`ve had the bike for so long I`m getting bored with it so I started do more DH type of riding. I`ve changed out the handle bar for RaceFace Next carbon and put a shorter RF Atlas AM stem on it. I agree with an earlier post that going to a mtn. and renting a DH bike would be a great place to start. I may not even like it. If I do than I would just look into buying a DH bike. thanks to those that posted it helped.peace

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009714
Mobile Version of Website