Powered by Outside

Dear Pinkbike, I want a road bike but I know nothing about them.

PB Forum :: 29ers
Dear Pinkbike, I want a road bike but I know nothing about them.
Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 18:06 Quote
Carbon is a wicked frame material. Steel is only for certain people. I love my steel SS/Fixie. But a Specialized Roubaix is an unbelievably comfortable bike to ride.

The best bike I have ever ridden was a Rocky Mountain ST-50. Columbus Steel with Carbon stay/fork/seat tube. Unreal.

Also, Touring bikes are not what you want. They are sluggish, and not speedy like a true road bike.

I have never had problems with toe-clearance on a race bike, unless it was a Tri/TT bike. Go to a road shop, and take a look at a few bikes there. Personally I am a huge fan of the Spec Roubaix, damn quick, very comfy. I have ridden the entire road line form Spec for like 50k each.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 18:16 Quote
bonfire wrote:
Carbon is a wicked frame material. Steel is only for certain people. I love my steel SS/Fixie. But a Specialized Roubaix is an unbelievably comfortable bike to ride.

I can agree that there are many very comfortable carbon bikes, but they're mostly more recent (and therefore expensive).

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 18:30 Quote
Hamburglar wrote:
Sweet, so thus far Ive learned that:
I should be looking for a bike sized around 56 or 57cm due to my height.
Stay away from race bikes, and don't be afraid to consider cyclocross bikes.
Lycra is where its at.
And clip-ins are the way to go.

Thanks guys, keep it coming!

Lycra is NOOOOOOT where its at......

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 18:53 Quote
I would consider a cyclecross bike if i where you because they can take a heavier beating, and if you're a mountain biker you're not going always going to be interested in the pavement and will want to explore little trails going of the roads, yes where clipless pedals spd's will get you by you could buy the shimano pedals one side platform oneside spd clipless, yes wear lycra, I thought it was a joke at first and thought it was for pussies, i felt like a total fool wearing it, at first but I wasnt sore at the end of the day, but if you want to race or fly down the mountain like you said, go with a road bike and if you're looking to spend the money for carbon go ahead, but alloy and a carbon fork will get you by but dont go below Shimano 105 components or else you will be let down sora and tiagra components are shit

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 20:31 Quote
Howe0193 wrote:
I would consider a cyclecross bike if i where you because they can take a heavier beating, and if you're a mountain biker you're not going always going to be interested in the pavement and will want to explore little trails going of the roads, yes where clipless pedals spd's will get you by you could buy the shimano pedals one side platform oneside spd clipless, yes wear lycra, I thought it was a joke at first and thought it was for pussies, i felt like a total fool wearing it, at first but I wasnt sore at the end of the day, but if you want to race or fly down the mountain like you said, go with a road bike and if you're looking to spend the money for carbon go ahead, but alloy and a carbon fork will get you by but dont go below Shimano 105 components or else you will be let down sora and tiagra components are shit

I dont know about that. If Im going for a road ride, then I'll be staying on the pavement.

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 20:38 Quote
Hamburglar wrote:
Lycra is where its at.

I think this is the first time I've seen that on pinkbike, which is pathetic. Peopl should get over themselves. There's nothing wrong with it. Hell, everyone wears under armor when playing hockey, football and other sports, not really much of a difference.

I've always wanted to try road biking, but lack of muscles and endurance says otherwise. Good luck with this! Roadies are tank! Salute

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 20:43 Quote
rentashoo wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:
Lycra is where its at.

Lycra is NOOOOOOT where its at......

Yeah it is.

Lycra is a wonder material. Keeps you warm when its cold, yet cool when it is hot. Keeps everything where it should stay. It is stupid comfortable, and it makes long rides comfortable. Especially on a hot sweaty day, rocking a good short makes all the difference.

That being said, shitty shorts suck. I rock Sugoi RS shorts, and I am looking at getting some Bib shorts. Bib shorts look ridiculous, but holy shit are they awesome.

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 20:50 Quote
Hamburglar wrote:
I dont know about that. If Im going for a road ride, then I'll be staying on the pavement.

We sell 'cross bikes 2-1 (if not a bit higher) at my shop. I think it is retarded. People like them because they look at a proper road bike and they go 'eww look how skinny those tires are, look are lightly built the frame is. I am going to break that in an instant' Because they believe that Lance Amstrong is a pussy and that their legs can put out like a million horsepower. All of their torque is going to break the wittle road bike.

People also like them because they can commute to work on them, and they feel like if they hit a pothole/curb they aren't going to break the thing. I also look at it like an Escalade or a Hummer. Every soccer mom wants a big car, because it makes them feel safer. 'Cross bikes are the Hummers on the road world.

In my opinion don't buy a cheap road bike. Buck up and pay $1500+ on a mountain bike you have suspension and soft tires. If the fit isn't right, it isn't the end of the world, if the geo isn't quite what you wanted, you can deal with it.

On a road bike, being rigid, you feel a lot more of the road. If the fit is off it can cause serious issues. If the geo isn't right, descending and high-speed runs will terrify you. All of this can combine into you not riding the bike enough.

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 20:55 Quote
bonfire wrote:
Hamburglar wrote:

We sell 'cross bikes 2-1 (if not a bit higher) at my shop. I think it is retarded. People like them because they look at a proper road bike and they go 'eww look how skinny those tires are, look are lightly built the frame is. I am going to break that in an instant' Because they believe that Lance Amstrong is a pussy and that their legs can put out like a million horsepower. All of their torque is going to break the wittle road bike.

People also like them because they can commute to work on them, and they feel like if they hit a pothole/curb they aren't going to break the thing. I also look at it like an Escalade or a Hummer. Every soccer mom wants a big car, because it makes them feel safer. 'Cross bikes are the Hummers on the road world.

In my opinion don't buy a cheap road bike. Buck up and pay $1500+ on a mountain bike you have suspension and soft tires. If the fit isn't right, it isn't the end of the world, if the geo isn't quite what you wanted, you can deal with it.

On a road bike, being rigid, you feel a lot more of the road. If the fit is off it can cause serious issues. If the geo isn't right, descending and high-speed runs will terrify you. All of this can combine into you not riding the bike enough.

Well so far the plan is to get myself an older road bike that I can wreck to get myself started. Once I get into it a bit more, Ill buy myself a proper bike.
I mountain bike, and workout a lot so the road bike thing was part seeing everyone else have a blast on their bikes, and part wanting a way to get out and do something on two wheels when Im not at the gym or on the trails.

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 20:55 Quote
if you don't like the look of bibs and stuff, just wear short over top f them. simple.

but if your going clipless pedals (which you should), go with road pedals.mountain pedals will work. but if you look at the cleats on mtb spd cleats, there what and inch by an inch. now thats where all your body weight/pressure is sitting on. after a long road bike ride, your gonna feel that in your feet.
then if you look at shimano road cleats, you see how much greater in size, covering the whole part of your foot that goes on the pedals. you will feel the difference after a long ride in this alone.

Posted: Jul 6, 2009 at 21:33 Quote
meh, I hate road shoes. I rock CrankBros pedals, have done 200km rides. I find that the Egg-beaters give me pressure points, but my candy's are perfect.

O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 0:32 Quote
thechris wrote:
if you don't like the look of bibs and stuff, just wear short over top f them. simple.

but if your going clipless pedals (which you should), go with road pedals.mountain pedals will work. but if you look at the cleats on mtb spd cleats, there what and inch by an inch. now thats where all your body weight/pressure is sitting on. after a long road bike ride, your gonna feel that in your feet.
then if you look at shimano road cleats, you see how much greater in size, covering the whole part of your foot that goes on the pedals. you will feel the difference after a long ride in this alone.

You are as wrong as can be.

Get this: I have MTB shoes with soles so stiff that my feet can't tell where the pedal platform is. If your shoes are flexing so much that all of your weight is noticeably on the cleat area, you need new shoes.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 1:27 Quote
Yeah. I have full carbon base in my mountain bike shoes that I use for road as well because I can't afford to buy new road pedals and shoes, but I can feel where the pedal is but have never gotten sore feet from it pressing into my foot.

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 2:18 Quote
build a single speed
atm i wanna get a road bike but i dunno about it
so ive gotten a frame for free and am scrounging getting the cheapest possible parts
then if i like( i probs will) im thinking a specialized tarmac

Posted: Jul 7, 2009 at 2:53 Quote
Alright, if you want to start road biking.. here are some tips.

Go to a good bike shop, one that knows about road biking. They will be able to size you up and get you a bike that fits nice. They will also be able to instruct you on where your saddle needs to be etc.
An entry level road bike is never going to fit you perfect but it will be close.

Look at the following bikes:
-Specialized Allez
-Giant Defy
-Trek 1 series

I know these bikes seem cheap and you may feel the urge to go more expensive, but i'm telling you now you cannot go wrong with them to begin with, they should last you years, unless you want to race then upgrades are probably something to consider. All of them cost around £500 to £600, or $800 to $1000. I got my Defy 3 for £500($800) and i love it.

Lycra: Get some. Honestly, its super comfy and helps support your muscles and keep them warm. Its worth getting a roadie top, some lycra shorts and some full length lycra bottoms. Don't worry about how it looks, it makes you look more professional.

Pedals: I use mountain SPDs at the moment, it doesn't make huge amounts of difference using SPDs compared to proper roadie cleets. However being clipped in some way is very important. It makes things so much easier.

Bottle Cages: Make sure you have them. You can use a camelback, but i prefer bottles for road, it stops your back sweating loads.

Spares etc: Get some spare roadie tubes and tire levers and some allen keys and always take them with you. There should be a few pockets on the back of the roadie top you are wearing to put these in.

Thats all i can think of for now.. I will edit if i think of anything else =]

EDIT: It may seem expensive to start off with, but the stuff i have listed above that you should get will last a long time.

ALSO tire pressures!! Make sure they are nice and high! Around 100-110 psi, they also make a huge difference!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010284
Mobile Version of Website